GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 12:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bzar 2011 build thread  (Read 34205 times)
coogee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2011, 01:03 AM »

Hi Sugarbaker
 just starting to spar my B'zar. I use a hacksaw with the 32 tooth blade and I run masking tape around the spar and cut both tape and spar. This works for me. The bridle has me a bit puzzled as in the diagram on Werners site the activator  appears to come from the upper LE fitting rather than between the bridle legs. Is that how you think it goes or am I missing something?
   Mike
Untitled

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2011, 09:15 AM »

Hi Sugarbaker
 just starting to spar my B'zar. I use a hacksaw with the 32 tooth blade and I run masking tape around the spar and cut both tape and spar. This works for me. The bridle has me a bit puzzled as in the diagram on Werners site the activator  appears to come from the upper LE fitting rather than between the bridle legs. Is that how you think it goes or am I missing something?
   Mike

To me it looks like a pig tail coming from the upper fitting that the upper leg and activator attach too.  This is how I did it.

sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2011, 12:17 PM »

Hey Mike,
Untitled got a good response in before me.  I will be doing it similar to the way he has, but I will make a pig tail that has approx 3 knots (maybe 4) at 1 cm intervals for adjustment of the upper leg.  Then, instead of attaching both the upper leg and activator to the pig tail, I'll attach the activator to the upper leg, then the upper leg to the pig tail. 

I've got my sewing machine and camera back, but due to some life events my build is at a stand still at the moment.  I'll be getting back to it in full swing in a couple of weeks.  Yet to come is continued documentation on frame preperation, completion of the sail (which will include in this order: the leech line, attaching the spine tunnel/tail velcro strap, preparing and attaching the leading edge, sewing on the nose, standoff patches), bridle and frame assembly, and finally how I sew my storage sleeves.

Still a ton of documentation to go but i'll get there (I promise!). 
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2011, 02:13 PM »

Truly a well presented and informative process on your kite building.

Thank you.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
coogee

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2011, 10:46 PM »

Hi Sugarbaker
                   took the B'zar out for the maiden flight yesterday. A light afternoon seabreeze, max about 6to8knots. Was very surprised at the low end performance, flew like a UL. Light on the lines and a good rate of turn. Does all the tricks I know and has a  nice feel to stop either a backspin or lazy and reverse the direction of spin. Should be good for cascade lazy's. First impression is that it is a nice well rounded kite, not near as pitchy as the Derafat designs.
Still trying to figure out how to get a jpeg down too the 100kb so I have put in a pic from photobooth, if it works. Keep up the good work on the post it is fantastic!
         Mike

[attachments older than 90 days deleted by admin]
Lex B

« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2011, 07:59 AM »

@ Coogee:
Nice build!!!!

remember: amateurs built the ark ..
professionals built the Titanic.
sugarbaker

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2011, 09:10 PM »

Googee,
Thanks for your description of the B'zar in flight.  I really like your color layout.  For my next build, I will probably go with a symmetrical color scheme similar to yours.  One observation I might make is in regards to your standoff locations.  It appears that you have your outer standoffs in the location marked for a possible roll bar connection (this I'm not positive of).  If you observe the pictures on Werner's website, you'll see that the standoffs are closer together... on the plan it is the inner two standoff marks.  That being said, if you like the way it flies, keep it as is. 

Thanks again for adding a picture of your completed kite. 

For those of you following along, I'll be back in town and have a run of days off starting next Thursday... I have a bucket full of pics already taken of the next few steps of my build and am just looking for some free time to write up the documentation to go along with them.  Stay tuned.
coogee

« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2011, 12:21 AM »

Hi Sugarbaker
                    thanks for the sharp spotting. I flew the kite in a very fresh breeze yesterday, probably 16 to 20 knts, and it was not at all happy. Really just seeing how far up range the kite would fly but put it on the ground after just a couple of passes through the window. I think the wide standoff position may have been what gave it the UL feel in the light breeze I first flew in. So I have changed the standoff to the correct position and will see what happens next flight. I had printed my plan on A4 and taped it together with masking tape and the SO position was obscured by the tape. Doh!
        Thanks again Mike
johnsown48

« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2011, 02:10 PM »

Thanks to kite studio price on polyester, my next many kites will have a color scheme similar to this
John
coogee

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2011, 11:48 PM »

This is an attempt at posting a pic from my phone.  Mike

[attachments older than 90 days deleted by admin]
sugarbaker

« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2011, 11:39 AM »

I know there are a few of you out there waiting patiently for me to continue with my documentation and this thread.  Due to some unforeseen circumstances, I will be putting my build on hold for another month or so as I am in the process of moving from the northwest down to Reno, NV. 

Rest assured! I have every intention of completing this build and many more, it will just take some time to get back into the swing of things.  My B'zar is almost complete at this point, but the documentation naturally lags behind.  Thanks for your patience and understanding as I move my life to a new state.  Please feel free to continue sending your questions if you have them.  I will be reading the forum regularly and will find time here and there to respond to my messages. 

Thanks again for following the thread!

Stephen

chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2011, 01:13 PM »

Reno??

Say hi to Dano and come on down to Vegas when you get the chance.

Bring some of those beautiful builds too please.

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2011, 10:22 PM »

HEy you and DAno can car pool to ripon for our fly too Tongue  only a 3 hour drive lol
sugarbaker

« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2011, 12:40 AM »

ok.  so in terms of the sail construction (I'll return to the frame once the sail is complete); to catch everyone up, my last significant post regarding the sail was the sewing of the trailing edge.

The next step is to place the leech line.  My choice is to use 100lb bridle line, although I have a number of kites that use heavy Spectra/Dyneema. I know bridle line is expensive, but I use it because it is easier to sew in place at the wing tips. (if you plan to use spectra for a leech line, I would recommend looping it around the wing tip nocks as done in the prism zephyr or flying-wings silverfox kites.)

To start, I measure a length of line using the plan... I measure out a single length that equals the distance of the entire trailing edge + the distance from the tip to the center T + about 3 inches of extra to account for any error.
Once cut, whatever line you use will be  frayed at the end.  Melt the end with a lighter to prevent the line from unraveling.

Now, before you thread the leech line (I use a tapestry needle), you need to cut the tail of the kite just enough for the line to come through.  Pictures show tail before and after the cut...

Now thread your leech line through the trailing edge.  Work it through from one wing tip to the other.  When I get to the tail, I pull a significant amount of slack through the first portion I thread... it makes it easier to work the line through the second half of the trailing edge.

Once the line is threaded through the entire trailing edge, I pull up any slack at the tail so the line is flush with the wing tips.  Then I sew in place to look like this at each wingtip.

Here you can see the tail with the leech line coming out.  I had to cut the tip a little further back than the previous picture so that I could thread the thick line into my dacron trailing edge.

Thats it for the trailing edge (right now)... about the last thing I do on the sail is sew on the standoff re-enforcements.  I don't know why I wait, it's just habit.  So I will go over that later.  The next post will be a few weeks out again, as I'm officially packing up my kite studio to move to Reno (will leave Seattle on the 1st, so stuff will be in boxes for a while).  I've actually finished the sail, and taken all the necessary pictures, so I may be able to put up a few more posts during the transition.

Another big thing (that I hope I can fix without anyone noticing) is that I am loosing the domain space where all of the pictures are stored ... I'll be moving them and updating the posts so hopefully there will never be a time when the pictures won't load; that being said, forgive and bear with me if some of the pictures disappear for a while. 

Next post will be sewing on the spine tunnel/tail strap... then I'll move on to the leading edge. 
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2011, 12:57 AM »

Thanks. If I did everything you did, it would take me about 100 hours to make a kite.  Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum