GWTW Forum
April 21, 2014, 03:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Evolution kite  (Read 2589 times)
Zeke
Trade Count: (0)
« on: April 11, 2011, 01:58 PM »

anyone have any info on this kite , twin spine geometric pattern from a while ago. Got this one from Doug. was surprised to find it framed in Easton rods.   Photo on the way...

indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 04:05 PM »

Evolution kite

ATB,
Sam
kitenut75
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 09:03 AM »

Very interesting, if you are ever going to let it go do let me know  Wink

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo da Vinci
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 05:20 AM »

actually I have almost two.  I bought a sail several years back, framed it but never finished the bridle. don't remember how well/bad it flies. Email or PM your postal code.
hey Dick: Ben (kitenut) is in Singapore..let me know if you decide to sell him one...i have a soft packet that is going to him already.

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 04:32 PM »

Ben, what is the kite shown in your avatar?

Icarex Mega Plutz-3:

Total Height- 65"
Span - 65"
Frame -Skyshark P90 amd microcarbon
Range - 0mph - 4mph
Line: 30lb Dacron

Here is a video of the predecessor the Mega Plutz-2

Indoor kite MegaPlutz2

ATB,
Sam
kitenut75

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 07:40 PM »

Mine is a pretty unique version, it has the sail design of the Mega-Plutz 3 but the bridling of the 2 lol.  The kite really is very floaty, and loads of fun on a windless or light wind day. Cee Wan used to make a rip-stop version but I think Icarex gives better performance  Smiley

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

Leonardo da Vinci
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 02:05 PM »

Aye, the Evolution is from the mind of Ted Dougherty (creator of the Quadrafoil?), also a former member of Skyward Kites team with Mike and Dawn Simmons, way back in the day. Smiley

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
Magpiesfooty
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 09:10 AM »

I acutally had a chance to fly one of these and it was avery nice tracking kite for the day. The stability and the workmanship were both very good.  The color schemes were kinda wild and the one that I flew looked like a Halloween special. If the kite were a different color, I would have purchased it. They were produced by Kite Innovations out of Spring Texas. They were not around very long but I was pretty impressed with them.  I was surprised that they did not survive longer.  I don't think that the quality or behavior of the kite were the reasons for their demise. I guess that it was growing competition that did it.  It was pretty pricey, say $225.00 back in 1991. Kite innovations were part of the growing Texas contingency at the KTA shows in the early 90's along with Windwalker Kites (Wasp), and Gayla wanting to get into stunt kites. Hope that this helps.
rncembal
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 01:49 PM »

Ted along with Mike Simmons went with Skynasaur (later Mile High) to produce their designs and market them. Releasing them form the ball and chain of sewing each kite. Then Mile high went under a few years later.
Rob

Remember before buying on Amazon use this link to help Steve!
http://tinyurl.com/kkid20
kitenut75

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 07:56 PM »

Aye, the Evolution is from the mind of Ted Dougherty (creator of the Quadrafoil?), also a former member of Skyward Kites team with Mike and Dawn Simmons, way back in the day. Smiley

Hey JB it may be heading to Singapore soon  Cheesy

Leonardo da Vinci
kitenut75

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 10:49 PM »

The kite is now in Singapore and yes it does track like its on rails  Wink

« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:50 PM by kitenut75 » Logged

Leonardo da Vinci
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography