GWTW Forum
December 22, 2014, 12:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Over steer... Discus  (Read 2335 times)
Flying High
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 03:16 AM »

Well I better make a comment, Over steer is a bit like a rubber band only to a point, I modified a std JJF last year to a Excalibur standard and well because the exterior of the bridal was shorten the kite spun faster thus creating over steer. With this in mind one can freely backspin, hold fade, rise fade and perform many slack line tricks but it happens a lot quicker. So my next modification is to change the exterior adjustments to slow down the rotation to a more acceptable level so you don't have to react to the inputs so quickly. Kevin's right on the money with his advice as well, so in my opinion over steer is fine, however you have to get use to the speed the kite rotates, how the kite tracks and how you can react to the kite, some people make stunt kite flying easy. I'm getting there in my own time - no rush.

Cheers
Keith 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 03:35 AM by Flying High » Logged
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 03:25 AM »

The sl7 has a pretty deep sail.

I think we can all agree there's a bit of oversteer there.

Its actually not as deep as it looks, the keel extends forward of the normal location making it *appear* deeper but the angle of the outer sail half is shallow compared to some kites, thats one of the reasons it backspins.

[/quote]
But, I'd agree that in general terms deeper sails contribute to less oversteer barring other design elements contributing to it.

The Psycho and Stranger had relatively deep sails for their size (and time) but oversteer plenty.

Personally I quite like kites with a bit of oversteer and still enjoy hacking a psycho about - its quite fun to spinstall to stab etc. on a windy day.

Alan makes a good point about technique, going back to some kites I used to fly I'm horrified at how they oversteer for about 10m by which time I'm flying straight lines and square corners again, just need time to adjust.

Vive la difference, it would be a dull world if everything turned like a Nirvana  Smiley

RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 06:44 AM »

I'd say Mike hit it on the head in defining oversteer.  Lots of kites turn easily and tightly without exhibiting significant oversteer.  I'd put something like the Mamba in that category.  The downside (if you consider it a downside) of many of those kites is how easily they can be knocked off a line.  Unsteady hands, turbulent air, etc. all can send the kite in a different direction than intended.

As for kites that truly oversteer, the SL7 is the poster child for my money.  And even the SL7 can be tamed to some degree - it's a matter of being ready with a firm countering input for every turn.  You can't simply go back to neutral - the kite will keep turning.  Not that I seek to tame the SL7 when I fly it, beyond simply keeping off the ground.  A wild ride is what that kite is all about.

I built a kite for competition where neither oversteer nor hair-trigger turns were desired.  The result was a kite that tracks well and would much rather be flying in a straight line than turning.  The consequence, not surprisingly, is the need for inputs are big and aggressive, and forgoing truly tight spins.

As for whether I "like" oversteer or not....guess it depends on when you ask the question.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 06:45 AM by RonG » Logged
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 08:59 AM »

it used to be that the higher aspect kites had more oversteer: Psycho, Stranger, BoT, Matchbox, Aziza......personally i like it but then i am a bit more of an old skool flyer....
you learn to anticipate the turn needed.

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum