GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 04:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "neutral" kites  (Read 1802 times)
johnsown48
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 12, 2011, 07:24 AM »

I've seen on , I think, the Blue Moon website, the Exile praised as a most "neutral " kite.  I'm very new to kiting, but that sounds like exactly what I would want in a kite. I'm inland ( Missouri), so light  and extremely variable winds would be a factor. My question would be, what other full size kites for light winds would be considered very neutral?
John
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 07:45 AM »

I'm not sure how Ken is using the term "Neutral", the Exile does well with both "Old School" & "Newer" tricks,  has good precision & handles low and variable winds well, but it gets a little fast as the winds go above 10 mph.

Another kite that handles variable and light inland winds well, has a well rounded bag of tricks, and retains good precision is the Skyburner Widowmaker. It doesn't get as fast as the Exile as the winds get higher IMO.

I'm sure there are others, those are two in my bag that are similar in abilities, precision vs tricks & good inland wind range.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 08:32 AM »

I prefer the Widow Maker to the Exile, though I like the Exile too. The Exile excels at rotational tricks but it pulls harder than the WM at higher wind speeds. The WM has a wider wind range at the upper end but both are good at the low end. Both of them are pretty easy to trick. (Ken's site says that the Mongoose handles higher wind but I don't know much about it.)

I'm not sure what 'neutral' means but to me it means that you have to know what you're doing because it's not going to give tricks away.

(My Nirvanas are neutral and I have to work harder to get them to 540 and jacobs ladder.)

They're all good kites and you can't go wrong with a Blue Moon. Personally, I think the Blue Moon's look nicer than the production Widow Makers. (I have a custom Widow Maker Spider and THAT'S a work of art.)

Bob D.
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 09:00 AM »

+1 on the Widow Maker Standard. Its not an extreme radical trick kite but its as neutral as it can be. Plus its low wind range almost down to UL levels and sturdy stiff frame up to 15mph-ish means that it is a very versatile kite for extremely varying wind conditions.

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 09:51 AM »

I live inland and fly with shifty / variable winds all the time. The trickier the kite, the more they can become upset in shifty winds. Also, the more oversteer a kite has seems to be a negative factor inland. I've found that spinny / pitchy kites with a bit of oversteer end up making the worst inland TRICK kites. You may not even notice a problem with control in nice wind but get them inland and they can be a handful.

The Widow Maker does handle these conditions better than many and tricks well with out any special inputs needed. I own the WM standard and used to have the UL. I haven't flown the Exile in these conditions.

Some good inland trick kites:
Widow Maker
Transformer
Fearless
Sea Devil
Nirvana
Mohawk XS
Silver Fox
Mantis
Cesium

These are just a few that came to mind.

Good luck and have fun.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
johnsown48

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 10:37 AM »

Thanks for the answers guys. tricking and retaining precision AND handling variable and light winds is what I think would be ideal and what I took to be neutral.
John
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 12:46 PM »

That is pretty much how everyone describes the Widow Maker.  It is my favorite kite thus far.  And for the higher winds, put a set of wind brakes on it and the kite is a true dream to fly!!!

RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 02:37 PM »

I would agree with the Widow Maker being a great neutral kite. Also, the Sea Devil is very neutral. I would disagree with the Fearless being neutral, but the vented light is perfect for variable inland conditions once you get used to its quirks. It is great if your wind varies from 3-20mph in random intervals. The Widow Maker may fly in a little lower wind, though...

~Rob.

Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 02:57 PM »

Yeah, the Fearless Vented Light, the wind range is very wide and it doesn't get all catywampus when the wind changes in the middle of a trick. I don't own the std F, just the SUL Tattoo and Vented Light. Both get used a lot inland. But keep in mind, no trick kite is ideal in quickly changing / swirly / variable wind conditions. Some are better than others though and some are almost unusable.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
gbegey

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 04:51 PM »

Johnsown48

Can you contact me via email?

Greg
Joplin, Missouri
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum