GWTW Forum
November 21, 2014, 07:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liama Down Under  (Read 1684 times)
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: April 14, 2011, 11:58 PM »

Hope you like, it was my second time out with it.

Laima

WinterDaze AoF
steve.hobart
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 06:43 AM »

Nice!

Looks more well behaved than the Bird-X.

cheers

steve
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 08:30 AM »

Well done Daze..........
Are you finding, as I have, that the 'bird' is much easier to fly than the Aerobe/Wala series?

It is most noticeable to me when the wind comes up a bit and is unstable (like swirling in my yard in tight quarters).

Don't get me wrong......The Walae are still cool. Wink

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
WinterDaze

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 07:49 PM »

Steve, there's a few on the list of 'to play with', the Bird-X is high on it Smiley

Jim, hard to tell for sure, but I think the Walae might be just a little floatier, need more time on the Laima to know for sure.

I've played a little with the setting of the dihedral and in this it's set all the way to the back for this video. The bridle is 1 cm down on the mark.

I can see this really working in some urban settings as Bell suggested.

The both times it's been out it has drawn a little crowd to watch, in the sky it certainly is eye catching.

To me it's the 'Adult' version of the Wala   Cool

WinterDaze AoF
bigpappo1
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 09:12 PM »

Gorgeous!.
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 11:32 PM »

Jim, hard to tell for sure, but I think the Walae might be just a little floatier, need more time on the Laima to know for sure.

My point, exactly............it seems to handle higher winds and still stay, for the lack of a better word, (Focused?)...........It seems, to me, to be able to penetrate the higher gusts without becoming volatile......if you know what I mean....................less sail, less lift, uhhhh, I seem now not to have a clue what i'm talking about, other then, it feels like it is gonna be much less affected by intermiitent wind direction changes and.............because  of that?

I guess I really need to take all three to a gym and aerobe out  Cheesy

Gettin' old........hopin' I really got it in me......

Peace/// Tongue

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
WinterDaze

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 05:23 PM »

Jim, had it out last night, I can see why the upper is 5-8kts. It's the wrist fittings area, the single connection between LE and spreader. This is the area where asymetry occures in higher wind, the Wala's wing fittings are going to keep everything pretty balanced, even in the stronger gusts.

I wonder if there's any 'tuning' advantages to learned by playing with this LE angle?

WD

WinterDaze AoF
steve.hobart
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 03:16 AM »

Steve, there's a few on the list of 'to play with', the Bird-X is high on it Smiley

WD, if you would like, PM me your address, I'm more than happy to post my Bird X over to you for a loan for a while so you can compare.

Cheers

Steve Smiley
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 07:21 AM »

Nice!

Looks more well behaved than the Bird-X.

cheers

steve
I think that the Bird'x is better behaved in active flying than the Laima.   The Bird'x has a rigid frame that is robust and that helps it fly better in lower winds....but the Bird'x is not much for a stable flyer (R-Sky did start offering it with a add on strip tail last year - but i have not head of any reviews on how it flys in wind)
The Laima has a less rigid frame to it....there is a LOT more wiggling going on when you are flying it in low winds or in normal wind flying as well....but that allows it to be flown on its own more stably....

i think that they are both great additions to the bag.....i just keep the Bird'x for indoors and street flying and the Laima for 1mph and up winds outdoors...

pricing: the bird'x i think is still lower than the Laima - that is IF YOU CAN FIND ONE.......

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
stringfly
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 07:44 PM »

Great video WinterDaze !!!  Nice control.

Just started playing with my XL Laima.  + 13 feet span.

Stringfly  <>++++++

[attachments older than 90 days deleted by admin]
WinterDaze

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 03:40 AM »

SF, I've been following your progess with some intrest Cool I belive on here i can say  Wink ' we need some video' Grin

WinterDaze AoF
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum