GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 01:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Early 90's Action Kites  (Read 3272 times)
DecSkybirds
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: April 15, 2011, 02:17 PM »

Can someone tell me if these were a good brand of kites( Action Kites was the name of the company).  I read that  Randy Tom and John Perusse owned a kite shop back in the early 90's and made some stunt kites under this brand name.  Did these kites use newer technology (carbon tubes, lite sails).  Thanks in advance.  Interested in vintage kites and one-offs.  I would like to own one.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 02:32 PM by DecSkybirds » Logged

Riders Of Heaven -Shiva STD, Shiva Comp UL, Shiva Full Vent, HQ X-Bow, Prism Quantum, Skyburner Wahoo UL
glider
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 04:37 PM »

I'm no expert.  I wasn't flying kites back then.  But I did purchase a Fire Dart by Action Kites and did a little research at the time.  My understanding is that this was the first commercially available sport kite with stand-offs.  Used by the Chicago Fire team.  One of those guys can surely tell you much more.
Of course by today's standards, the fittings are outdated.
Here's a blurb.
http://www.chicagofirekiteteam.com/fire_dart.htm

See my "kites seeing too little air" below.  Go to page 10 there for some pics.

Dave
pdx
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 04:44 PM by glider » Logged

DecSkybirds

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 05:30 PM »

Thanks for the info.  The kite that I have run into is called the "spinoff" made by Action Kites.  Just can't find any info on it. 

Riders Of Heaven -Shiva STD, Shiva Comp UL, Shiva Full Vent, HQ X-Bow, Prism Quantum, Skyburner Wahoo UL
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 05:56 PM »

Bring it with you next time we meet up and I'll take a look at it.  IT might be a hawaiian spinoff.  Those were made originally by top of the line but I think some were made by action kites too.  KIte king might be able to confirm its identity if you post a pic
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 07:09 PM »

called the "spinoff" made by Action Kites
That's like a Ferrari Gallardo  Wink

Top of the Line made the Spin Off. That kite's main challenger as an early competition kite was Action Kite's Fire Dart.

Action Kites were a good brand from the very early days of stunt kites. I started out with their Sky Dart and had a blue/white Fire Dart without standoffs.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 10:32 PM »

The Spinoff (TOTL) and the NoNaMe (action) are very similar

I believe this may be the kite in question

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

DecSkybirds

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 11:48 PM »

The Spinoff (TOTL) and the NoNaMe (action) are very similar

I believe this may be the kite in question

Correct, I tried to buy it, but I would have to drive to SF.   No standoffs?

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 09:11 AM »

One more interesting fact to throw into the history.

Don Tabor, who later became famous for his "Top of the Line" brand kites, the Hawaiian Team, Spin Off, and North Shore which ruled the early days of Stunt Kite competitions was the designer for some of Action Kite's earlier designs. The Avenger and the Hawaiian were originally produced by John Perusse under the Action Kite's name.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Magpiesfooty
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 09:28 AM »

I have been flying for many years, my best friend got me into the hobby and his first serious stunt kite was the Fire Dart. Nice, big, loud kite.  Pretty fun.... Then I purchased my first Full Team Hawaiian from TOTL.   From Action kites, I now own a No Na Me, a pic of the No Na Me kite is a few posts below mine. Similar in shape to the Spin Off, but that is where most of the similarities end.  I just recently purchased it and in the correct winds, it is an incredible kite. Quote fast and radical.  Correct there are no stand offs. The bridles are crossed at the bottom spreaders and if you are not careful the spine will keep falling out. I corrected the last issue by drilling a smaller hole, just below and parallel to the lower stand off hole in the bottom T fitting. I then fed the bungee cords through the new hole and tied them off below the T. I will have to watch for the wear of the shock cord bungee but the kite flies like a dream.  It is in a beautiful RWB color scheme and again, in high winds it is one of my faves. All in all Action, was a very good kite builder for the day! TOTL was the next dominating brand.  I hope that this helps.
DecSkybirds

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 11:56 AM »

Cool, the mystery has panned out.  And great history lesson for some of us (me) who are new to sport kites.  Thanks for all of the info you guys are great.

Magpiesfooty
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 09:06 PM »

I love kites from the late 80's and early 90's and I have several in my bag(s). You paid more for a kite back then and in some cases, the person that built it, signed it.  If I can ever help out with a question on an older kite, I will try and do my best.   It is always interesting to see the looks on some of the "Younger Bucks" faces when I pull history out of the bag, set up and make lots of noise and get dragged around a little.  LOL!

Happy winds to all.

Magpiesfooty
coop
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 11:43 AM »

Just found this forum. Awesome! My first kite in the 80's was a NO NA ME! I currently have a spinoff, a hawaiin team, a north shore radical, a passion, an obsession, a griffin, a K2 and a few others. I love the retro kites, brings back some great memories!

TOTL Hawaiian Spinoff(2), TOTL Hawaiian Team(2), TOTL Windrule, TOTL NSR, HQ Passion, MEFM(Aust.), MEFM vented(Aus), MEFM(2), BMK Mamba, HQ Tramontana, NoNaMe, Stranger, Psycho, Atomic Wedgee, BMK Mantis UL, TOTL Sizzle
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document