GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 07:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some classic Kites courtesy of Brian  (Read 8143 times)
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« on: April 17, 2009, 02:55 PM »

I'll tell the whole story eventually, but for now ...

When Chris and I received the message that Brian Todd passed away his roommate had no idea as to what to do with all Brian's kites.  He asked us if we wanted them as otherwise they would probably be sold at a garage sale or thrown away.  I was aware of what kites Brian had as Chris and I had flown with him on many occasions.  The thought of them either ending up in the trash or in the hands of someone that had no appreciation for them pained us.   Of course we agreed to come and get them.  That is how Chris and I found ourselves on an 8 hour kite rescue mission Wednesday driving 400 miles round trip to a lovely town north of San Francisco.

Over the next few weeks we will be going through all the kites identifying them and making the needed repairs.  Brian hadn't been able to fly for quite some time so many of the older kites appear to need a bit of TLC.  As we get them sorted I'll post pictures of the more interesting ones.  Below are the first that I have returned to flying condition.

Martin Schob built TrickTail 200.  At the time Brian got this only he and Martin had one.  Martin ended up doing a limited run of these (92 or 94 of them total as I recall).

TrickTail UltraLite,  Early production and unusual (rare) color.  Although they produced a "gold" version through out the life of the kite the later models were actually orange.  This one is a very nice light gold color.

PBSK Warrior.  Midnight sail with rainbow graphics.  This was the exact color combination Chris and I wanted to get back in '99 (when this kite was made) but we just couldn't get past the price despite a lot of arm twisting by Ellen on #kites.

I've started a set on Flickr where I'll be putting the collection.  You can see larger images there if you wish.

So the question is what to do with all these kites.  I'll continue that part of the story later.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
kiten00b
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 03:14 PM »

It's good to see that Brian's kites went to a good home.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 04:05 PM »

That PBSK kite is unreal. What a gorgeous kite ! I'm such a sucker for that rainbow fabric.
PB offered to build me a Vanishing Point a while back, I asked him for a Warrior instead, and never heard back from him. Maybe someday... it took him over a year to get back to me the first time.

~Rob.

Steve
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 04:56 PM »

PBSK Vanishing Point (one of two)

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
gwm
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 05:35 PM »

Woah!!! That TT UL just went on my desktop background. Talk about Kitelust. I've been longing for one of these for almost 3 years. Dang is she pretty.
moegeo
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 06:06 PM »

Bitter, sweet. Beautiful kites, tragic ending.
It's nice to have someting to remember some one who ment so much to you.

Say Good Night Dick
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 06:49 PM »

TrickTail UltraLite,  Early production and unusual (rare) color.  Although they produced a "gold" version through out the life of the kite the later models were actually orange.  This one is a very nice light gold color.

Zoinks.... that last sentence is the epitome of understatement. The black sets that gold off beauuuuuttiiifully.

Didn't know Brian, but sorry to hear of his passing nonetheless.

ATB,
Sam
kitegirl

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 11:18 PM »

We need to get a bunch of kite flyers together and have a memorial fly for Brian using his kites. Have them reach up to him in the heavens to tell him goodbye. Him looking down knowing his kites will be taken care of.
Steve
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 05:26 AM »

We need to get a bunch of kite flyers together and have a memorial fly for Brian using his kites. Have them reach up to him in the heavens to tell him goodbye. Him looking down knowing his kites will be taken care of.

This afternoon!

We should have a visitor from Europe stopping by to fly with us.  Got a lot of the dual lines put together for photos and test flying.  Need Mikes help putting some of the single lines together.

Maybe a BBQ this evening???

Forecast:  Sunny. Highs 82 to 87. North winds up to 10 mph.

Steve ... Ancient One
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 11:39 AM »

That Warrior is somethin'.  What's it framed in?

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Steve
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 12:05 PM »

5 PT's
Looks better in person  Tongue

Steve ... Ancient One
Jynx
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 03:40 PM »

PBSK Vanishing Point (one of two)

Awesome colors!... I'd luv 'em on a Rev... unless John has a problem with that!? ...I'll have to get his artistic opinion first!  Cheesy

(Long story)

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky."
Jimi Hendrix
SKITCH
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 06:24 PM »

This afternoon!

We should have a visitor from Europe stopping by to fly with us.  Got a lot of the dual lines put together for photos and test flying.  Need Mikes help putting some of the single lines together.

Maybe a BBQ this evening???

Forecast:  Sunny. Highs 82 to 87. North winds up to 10 mph.

Can't wait for the pics!!!

Patrick

pgibble on the "old" forum

I fully appreciate the ability of trees to attract kites. They have special powers that way.

Charlie Dunton
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 11:04 PM »

The Warrior is a sweet kite, we flew that, the Trick Tail 200, Prism I2K & Radian, Benson Genesis & Airbow, Level One Fly, and the Stranger Level 7

Out of those the Warrior was by far my favorite, I know Chris and Rhonda felt the same as it was in somebodies hands most of the day. As soon as I flew it I knew Chris was going to love it, it just felt like it wanted to slide and flic-flac's would be there in spades. She proved me right walking the slides across the field and trimming the grass with the flic-flac's  Cool. Surprisingly tippy for an old school kite, in somebody else's hands I think it might even pull off some "French" stuff.

We didn't get too many pic's though, Steve did post some new static front yard pic's of some of the others, they are linked above in his Flickr album.

Here's one of Chris with the Warrior and one of David with Stranger Level 7 and Chris in the background with the Warrior again.

Have to thank David for bringing some wind up with him, not often we get a day as nice as today.

attachments older than 120 days removed to save space

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
kitegirl

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 11:13 PM »

Yes the Warrior is an awesome kite. I am not a trickster but I was able to do a little side slide, tip stabs. I flew more today with this kite than I have flown in months. I could even fly in very low wind with it. Well for me was low wind as I usally cannot keep a kite in the sky in low wind but manage with the Warrior. Chris said she would let me fly her kite again soon. I can't wait! So please don't forget Warrior Princess.
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change