GWTW Forum
December 22, 2014, 12:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybodyelse break their iPhone 4 screen?  (Read 1655 times)
justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: April 17, 2011, 05:03 PM »

I dropped my phone last night and shattered the screen.  I have seen screens for sale on amazon and directfix as well as a few stores that repair them.   I don't have an apple store near me.  Has anyone else replaced the screen themselves?   Advice is appreciated.   The screen assembly on amazon is $73, directfix $130.  Am I missing something?
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 07:21 PM »

I dropped my phone last night and shattered the screen.  I have seen screens for sale on amazon and directfix as well as a few stores that repair them.   I don't have an apple store near me.  Has anyone else replaced the screen themselves?   Advice is appreciated.   The screen assembly on amazon is $73, directfix $130.  Am I missing something?

No iPhone, so have never had to do the repair. However, the video instructions from DirectFix is fairly comprehensive.  Give it a watch.  If it makes you nervous, DIY might not be the way to go:

iPhone 4 Teardown & Screen Replacement Video Directions by DirectFix.com

The very first thing that they tell you is that proceeding will immediately void any Apple warranty. 

Your other option would be a mail-in repair through Apple, which presumably would leave any warranty intact.  Not sure how much it would cost or turn around time.

Guess it boils down to what each of the trade-offs is worth to you.

The Amazon replacement lists the replacement manufacturer as "generic".  The description on the directfix seems to indicate that their replacement is an Apple OEM unit.  You could always contact them to confirm, but I expect that is the source of the price difference.

ATB,
Sam
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 08:01 PM »

If you've never worked on small high density electronic devices like this, I'd think twice about a DIY adventure with an iPhone. Having Apple repair the thing is the way to go. Just takes a while. And costs a lot. But these are the expected costs of carrying around a $500 phone. Personally, I bought a warranty so I don't have to worry so much about the phone.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Alfredo
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 04:11 PM »

My dad has dropped his iPhone 4 a couple of times at the gym and nothing has happened.  (He has an Otterbox) You might want to take a look at it.

I fully appreciate the ability of trees to attract kites. They have special powers that way. (Quote by - Charlie Dunton)
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 05:55 PM »

I work in electronics.

I have replaced two screens on the IPod Classic.  Both worked but both times it killed the Ipod.  Never worked again.  Screen seemed to work just fine tho.

A lady at work dropped her IPhone and tried to replace the screen.  She lost the microphone so now can only talk while it is connected to the headphones with mic.  Screen works just fine tho.

Again..we work in electronics and build PCBA.  We work with VERY small components all day long.  However, I have never been part of a successful fix.

Maybe it is just me!

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 10:56 AM »

I had mine replaced here in Seattle.  Walked in, 15 minutes later and I think $120 bucks, I had a new screen.

Guy said the iPhone 4 glass is glued to LCD screen, so you have to replace both and that's why it's more expensive. The older phones you can just replace the glass.

I'd do a google search at look for places in your area that will do the repair for you.
justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 02:11 PM »

Thanks for the replies all.  There is a place in town that will do it for $130.  Guess that's reasonable.  Too bad that was my kite savings.  Oh well.

And, I do usually have it in the Otterbox.  It was out because I had spilled some barley-pop on the case during my camping trip.  I had just not put it back in the case yet when I had my 'oops!' moment.
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 02:17 PM »

Sudden gusts of gravity tend to happen at the worst times.  Cry

Glad you have it sorted, sorry about the kite fund.

ATB,
Sam
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum