GWTW Forum
July 24, 2014, 07:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: INTERESTING SINGLE LINER???  (Read 4030 times)
Sketch
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 18, 2011, 02:30 PM »

Heading over the Purdy/Wauna bridge...a while back I saw this young lady and her father flying this interesting single liner?

I pulled over and snapped a couple of shots.
It was a gift from her grandfather...but they thought it might have come from a discount location here in the Tacoma area?
That kite was quite interesting and flew quite well?

Any ideas what mfg?

[attachments older than 90 days deleted by admin]
Sketch

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 02:31 PM »

Another view 

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 02:39 PM »

If it came from a discount store and flew well, they made a rare find.

Normally, those shaped body kites make a big loop and crash immediately.

It is quite pretty and I'm glad they had a good flier.

Helps keep more fliers in the sport.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 02:50 PM »

I would guess that is from Costco.

to go against what John said the kites that Randy Tom (X-kites) is producing for Costco are very good flyers that have great designs...X-kites provides costco with their own line of kites that you can only get from the store....you will find a design from Scott Hampton in every years offering.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
greenbulletblues

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 07:33 AM »

This is an X-kites design which I'm fairly certain is no longer made.  I traded an old stunt kite for one about 3 weeks ago.  They had the kite for 8 years and said it would never fly right.  I put a new attachment loop in the bridle closer to the top and dropped 2 quaters in the tail for weight.  This adjustment was for 15-18 mph winds.  The kite flew perfect and looked great. I'm very happy to have this one in my single line bag. Actually in one of your pics I can see one of the spares sticking out of the wing, which is a design flaw with this kite that can easily be fixed.  I know everyone likes to slam X-kites, Gayla Kites and the likes, but some of their single line designs are cool and not made by anybody else.  And true, the quality and craftsmanship is not always there, so they always give me something to work on in the winter when I'm not flying.   Ok, I'll post a pic from last weekend with some of my odd single liners.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 08:09 AM by bulletblues » Logged
Sketch

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 06:20 PM »

Just noticed that you are from Alabama...Hope you and yours survived that horrific weather front that arrived near your neck of the woods....I just heard that the  COLD AIR JET STREAM...came in from the Pacific right over Seattle and then traveled all the way down to your country...to mix with the warm air.

THANKS for your expertise on this interesting kite that I saw at the beach the other day.
(yes...I am still exiled here in Gig Harbor, Wa...and it was 31 degrees again this morn.
Gads I am ready for summmmmmmmmaaaatime!

Sketch...formalleee' known as "Shultzie"

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 07:40 PM »

"Ode to last Summer.jpg"

Hoodie's? Your definition of "Summer" differs a bit from ours  Undecided

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 08:53 PM »

"Ode to last Summer.jpg"
Hoodie's? Your definition of "Summer" differs a bit from ours  Undecided

lol, Mike. And then there's my definition! Anything where the ground's not white.

Always nice to see those shots, Don.  Smiley

Bob
stringfly

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 06:29 AM »

Thief, 
   No Costcos here in Ark.  But do have Sams. Anyone know where I can get some of the Scott Hampton's designs offered a few years ago??

Stringfly <>+++++

thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 09:01 AM »

i would say keep an eye on Ebay...they pop up.....

stringfly

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 09:22 AM »

Will do thief.  Just found me the Sentinel (the vertical one) on Amazon.com.  But not the others yet.  Would like to get some of his orginals but guess he is not doing much in kites right now.  Would love to have a Cyborg or Cypod as you know.  Tongue

Stringfly <>+++++

thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 09:39 AM »

i have yet to hear of a cypod or a triwing up for resale...........if i do there is a list of people who want it!

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 11:05 AM »

The Alien or one very similar was available at our Costco this year, I had wanted one of the first ones in that style Scott had done (sort of a Cyclops thing with big teeth) but they never showed up here locally. I'm probably going by Costco the next couple of days I'll walk by the kite display and see if they have any left and if it is indeed that same one. I'll try to stick a mental image of those others to and see if our store is running a few years behind on getting the stock out.

Not sure what a tri-wing is, I know they had a triple winged box type kite this year that was interesting, much like dual inline Joel Scholz Triangulations only 3 wings rather then Joel's Five. Ah it's called the Triple Star, and included in this years Costco Asst A, the Alien is included in this years Costco Asst C so it's probably the same kite in our store. Sam's Club didn't recieve any of the designs you're looking for according to the X-Kites site.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 11:19 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
stringfly

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 12:57 PM »

Thanks Mike. Let me know if you find any of them. Ready to purchase.

Stringfly <>++++
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 01:11 PM »

The triwings that Scott made are the 2nd picture that Park posted....they are like a cypod shaped by chopped 2/3rds back...more rocket shaped...
They, and the cypods, are not made by X-Kites.....they were only made by Scott.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document