GWTW Forum
August 29, 2014, 01:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: C-clip removal  (Read 1633 times)
DecSkybirds
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: April 19, 2011, 06:24 PM »

I need to get a c-clip off without breaking it, but they seem to be super glued to the carbon tube.  What is a good method of getting these suckers off without doing damage to tube/clip?   Thanks for any help.

Riders Of Heaven -Shiva STD, Shiva Comp UL, Shiva Full Vent, HQ X-Bow, Prism Quantum, Skyburner Wahoo UL
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 06:50 PM »

i would gently use a flat bladed screw driver and gently pry one end of the C off and then pop off the other side....
if you break one easy replacements are: wrapped electrical tape, sliced donuts of rubber tubing, a bump of superglue, sliced-into-donuts-rubber end cap..
just a few options..

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
DecSkybirds
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 06:53 PM »

Update:

Just managed to get them off using needle nose plyers.  I gently wiggled the clip till it broke the glue loose.  Now I can glue that loose ferrule connecting the LE Smiley  Was bugging me a whole lot. 

Thanks,
Jeremy

Riders Of Heaven -Shiva STD, Shiva Comp UL, Shiva Full Vent, HQ X-Bow, Prism Quantum, Skyburner Wahoo UL
RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 03:33 AM »

Update:

Just managed to get them off using needle nose plyers.  I gently wiggled the clip till it broke the glue loose.  Now I can glue that loose ferrule connecting the LE Smiley  Was bugging me a whole lot. 

Thanks,
Jeremy

That was going to be my suggestion.  I've tried lots of ways over the years, but the method you hit upon has been the most consistently successful.  And and having a pile of spare clips handy just in case...
Hadge

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 01:01 PM »

Don't pry 'em off, thats when they break. Take the flat blade screwdriver, put the end of the spar on the floor or against something solid, now place the flat blade on top of the C clip parallel with the spar and give the screwdriver a couple of sharp taps with a hammer and the clip will slide down the spar. Works ( nearly) every time and doesn't usually break the C clip. CA glue has strong bonding power but poor shear strength. Wink

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
johnfarl

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 08:03 AM »

I use Ace Brand CA glue to attach those clips.  It is a low grade glue that is strong enough hold but easy enough to break loose with needle nose.
Danno419
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 08:47 AM »

replace em with shrink wraps imo.... they are all sorts of win.  Cool

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
Bledula

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 10:19 AM »

I never worked with shrink wraps.
Do you have some link where I could view them? Also a few words on how to properly apply them instead of C-clips would be apreciated.

Thanks.

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 11:06 AM »

Never used them on kites, but great for wiring and such

You would have to slide the piece over the leading edge while disassembled them heat with a "hot" hair dryer.

I would be concerned about overheating the sail

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 11:39 AM »

The type to use is the style with hot melt glue coating the interior, standard shrink wrap will soon loosen or you'll have to glue it yourself which negates any benifit. I would use a cut end cap, vinyl or rubber tubing before regular heat shink tubing. You can get the right type from Steve here at GWTW. It is also included in the Prism Field Repair Kit which is a nice start for a repair kit if you don't have something already in your bag.

Otherwise its normal usage is for wiring that is underground or wet, anyplace that sells well pumps should carry it.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 11:58 AM »

I have adhesive heat shrink stop collars just like the ones Prism uses.  Not listed on the site but drop me an email and I can send you some.  2 sizes available.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Bledula

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 02:31 PM »

Unfortunately I live in Slovakia so I will have to look for the closest European replacement for much higher price. I will drop by some local electrical hardware store to see if they have any thick and large diameter heat-shrink tubes with an adhesive on the inside.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 03:17 PM »

I just glue a section of an endcap.  They have a very low profile (look better imo) and I have yet to have one "pop off" like C-clips can do with a hard jolt.  They are soft, so you can easily grab a section of them with small pliers and just pull it off if you need to.

-Tom

6 kite tom
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 03:24 PM »

Bledula ... $2.00 for 10 and that includes postage.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document