GWTW Forum
August 22, 2014, 02:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please help me... Crystal Kite Company  (Read 1954 times)
kiteflyer82
Trade Count: (+18)

« on: April 19, 2011, 06:24 PM »

I have two kites that are from crystal kite company, I don't know anything about them and don't fly them anymore. Can anyone tell me something about them. I am wanting to sell them, but want to know more first. Please check the pictures out at.......

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61927931@N03/?saved=1
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 06:34 PM »

Can't help you with the kites, but I do like the zig-zag red one Smiley
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 06:47 PM »

might help to wander around in here:
http://www.kites.org/kitefantastic/kites/kite_index.htm
or here:
http://replay.web.archive.org/20010305231411/http://www.home.inreach.com/crystalk/html/CRYSTALKITES,STUNTERS.html

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
kiteflyer82

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 07:13 PM »

I wasn't able to find anything on those sites, but thanks.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 07:37 PM »

Crystal kite company was a small maker out of Lahabra, CA.   I don't remember much about them other than they were on the cheaper end of kites (cheap being ~$150 for their top kites).   All there designs were screen printed and they did have some unusual kite.  The diving lady is one that comes up now and then for sale.  MOst of there kite were named after the design and I think that red one was simply  "lightning" or "striker", along those lines.  There top end kites were framed in 5-6mm carbon tube and were pretty good as I recall.  I haven't seen one in years as they went out of business in 1998 i think.  THere might be a lot more around since they were in business for nearly 16 years but most of what I see around are single line kites.  As for value they generally don't sell for much.  The last diving lady kite that came up for sale went for ~$150 on e-bay but that was in new condition only opened so pictures could be taken.
kiteflyer82

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 07:47 PM »

Crystal kite company was a small maker out of Lahabra, CA.   I don't remember much about them other than they were on the cheaper end of kites (cheap being ~$150 for their top kites).   All there designs were screen printed and they did have some unusual kite.  The diving lady is one that comes up now and then for sale.  MOst of there kite were named after the design and I think that red one was simply  "lightning" or "striker", along those lines.  There top end kites were framed in 5-6mm carbon tube and were pretty good as I recall.  I haven't seen one in years as they went out of business in 1998 i think.  THere might be a lot more around since they were in business for nearly 16 years but most of what I see around are single line kites.  As for value they generally don't sell for much.  The last diving lady kite that came up for sale went for ~$150 on e-bay but that was in new condition only opened so pictures could be taken.

I saw that one on ebay too. A little disapointed. Thanks for your time.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 01:57 AM »

NO problem.  thos are nice looking kites.  How do they fly?
kiteflyer82

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 02:09 AM »

Very sweet
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 07:32 AM »

I have the one with winglets. Mine is a UL with black sail and a purple and white design that looks something like a pre-historic bird or crossed Viking axe blades. The rods are 9FC carbon tubes, 0.2300". I too have wondered about the kite's model name, since the tag only says Crystal Kite Co., (714)870-4546 La Habra, CA, Cancun, Mexico. 

I think I bought it in Lincoln City around 1996 for $90 - $120. It was below $150 anyway, since that was my threshold of pain in those days. It was my go-to kite for a few years, due to light and variable inland winds. I learned how to axel with it, if that helps with the year. I don't remember when the axel was invented, but I think I had it while my kids were still in high school or younger.

PS: It looks like the axel was described in 1993 in the rec.kites forum. So, I probably tried to learn the trick some time between 1993 to 1995 on the Crystal. I had seen an axel on a kite store's promotional video. However, tutorial video wasn't available for purchase, so I had to learn from the rec.kites description and my memory of what the trick looked like. It took me a while to learn it, months, not years.

http://personal.inet.fi/koti/michael.emery/axel.htm#History

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 01:39 PM by lylenc » Logged

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 12:16 PM »

PS: It looks like the axel was described in 1993 in the rec.kites forum.

This is what you need, not my oh-so-crappy old webpage that I can't even delete any more  Shocked

Everyone should pay close attention to how the name of this trick is spelled. Angry

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 05:08 PM »

I have never seen a screen printed Crystal kite...all of the ones i have seen are appliqued...

The lady Diver....there are two of them...one of them is in Fall River Massachusetts and the other is in Neenah Wisc....
kinda cool

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
kiteflyer82

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 05:23 PM »

Thanks for everyones feedback, when I get some more time I will post them up for sale.
Magpiesfooty
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 06:32 AM »

I have a Balloon Factory Kites catalog from 1992 and it lists a Crystal Kite, the Paloma, a delta style kite with a white dove on it. Very nice looking! Sounds like it could be early in their history.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document