GWTW Forum
September 30, 2014, 04:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some help with an old Skynasaur  (Read 4943 times)
Crimsongost
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: April 17, 2009, 05:14 AM »

So I was given Skynasaur missing it's spreaders by a friend. I started looking on the internet to try to identify the kite and look for the lengths to get replacement spreaders. Imagine my surprise when the most common term used in association with the kites I fly is "Vintage". I did not realize I was so out of date   At any rate does any one know of a resource for the old Skynasaur kites? I currently fly a z74 and an Aerobat the new kite looks completely different more like the modern kites. It' looks kin of like a slicer or tracer but not as refined it does have stand offs. The spine and wing edges are 5mm fiberglass so I'm guessing that the spreaders are 5mm as well. I am looking for the length of the upper and both lower spreaders. I know this is probably not enough information but I'm not sure what you need as I don't know the name of the kite. Below is a link to pics of the kite and all the mesurements. Not sure if this is going to work but here goes...

http://picasaweb.google.com/Crimsongost/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCPXmhKzUt_WZZg&fea...

The measurements are as follows ...

Over all height at center is 29.5" from nose to main spreader attachment is 20.75"

From nose to tip of the wing is 42" with upper spreader attachment 7.5" from nose and 2nd attachment point 28" from the nose.

Stand offs are 24" from wing tip and 10.75" from center spine. The stand offs are 7.5" but has a stopper 5.5" from the tip.

Overall wingspan laid out flat is 67" tip to tip.

Biased on the above info good kite will probably fly like a dream / bad kite does not fly well? Either way I would like to get it up in the air any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mitchell

Thanks
Mitchell

1983 Skynasaur aerobat
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 07:33 AM »

Nice to hear that your kites are referred to as "vintage"

People just call mine "old"

I could not get the link to work

I have this Skynasaur

if you think yours is the same I will dig it out and measure

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Crimsongost

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 12:45 PM »

"Vintage" was the term used laughingly to my face. I'm sure old is what was used out of ear shot. Funny thing is mine were flying all day, there's would go up then crash. Don't think it was in the air more than 10 consecutive sec. the whole day Smiley

The kites are similar but not the same, yours is diffinately newer.

Thanks for the offer.
Mitchell

Thanks
Mitchell

1983 Skynasaur aerobat
kiten00b
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 09:25 PM »

I get an error message when I try to click your link: http://picasaweb.google.com/Crimsongost/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCPXmhKzUt_WZZg&fea...
Google      
Error

500 INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR
    Unable to process request.

Could you try posting it again?
Skynasaur made a few Tracer-ish kites, the Tracker and Trixter were smaller versions
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 09:28 PM by kiten00b » Logged
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 12:13 AM »

We have a never flown Tracker and it is definitley larger than  the kite in question.............It is odd, or maybe not so............that the same 'wave type' color patterns were used as often as they were...................... 

Relics from the past .......................yet so cool to follow....

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Crimsongost

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 03:56 AM »

Here is the link again

http://picasaweb.google.com/Crimsongost/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCPXmhKzUt_WZZg&feat=directlink#

Hope this one works better. No it does not seem to be a slicer or a tracer they have a much smoother line on the trailing edge, mine is much more angular.

Thanks again for all the help
Mitchell

Thanks
Mitchell

1983 Skynasaur aerobat
kiten00b
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 12:24 PM »

I'd get a couple of cheap wooden dowels that fit in the connectors and some vinyl tubing to use for standoff connectors
cut the vinyl tubing about an inch long, drill or punch a hole in the side near one end of it big enough for the dowel to fit into and slide it onto the dowel
then put one end of the dowel into a leading edge connector, put the standoff into the vinyl connector
put the other end of the dowel at the center t and gradually move it until the standoff tensions the sail without bowing the dowel a lot
make a mark there and use that as your ballpark measurement for the replacement bottom spreaders
cut them a little long and test fit
the upper spreader should be easy to figure out once you're happy with the lower spreaders
just stick one end of a dowel into one of the upper connectors and slide your thumbnail along the dowel to where it would fit into the other connector
again, cut the replacement a little long and test fit
the proper length won't bow the leading edges in or out
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document