GWTW Forum
September 16, 2014, 12:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite Bag  (Read 5256 times)
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« on: April 17, 2009, 05:55 PM »

I'm going to build a padded kite bag. Anyone have any advice or tips?

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
ET
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 07:22 PM »

Built in cooler? 
Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 07:31 PM »

That is definately the best advice you're gonna get!
2 points -- Everett!  Wink
SKITCH
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 08:11 PM »

I bet you COULD build one of these in with NO problem...... Cool

Holds a 6 pack and insulated to keep them cold.

P

Patrick

pgibble on the "old" forum

I fully appreciate the ability of trees to attract kites. They have special powers that way.

Charlie Dunton
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 08:48 PM »

There's a project, zippered or roll-up? Assuming zippered if your padding it. What are you using for the padding? I like the neoprene used in wet suits, thin and dense and holds its shape well. Luckily you prefer not to carry too many kites and line sets so that makes things simpler.

For you maybe something flat, wide enough for 3-4 kites, some elastic on one side to slip them into when traveling, you could still just drop them in in a hurry and for local transport. A full two way zipper so you can open just one end to pull out a kite or open the whole bag to lay it flat for a surface on the beach. Opposite side from the kites needs a pocket for spare rods and some line set pockets, maybe a parts and tool pocket. I'd prefer inside pockets over pockets hanging off outside, you can have the zipper external still if you prefer or even internal & external for the line sets. Also figure out a way to fold it in half and secure it so you could break down the kites and make it half length, it might even clear as carry-on luggage at 34" that way.

Just my ramblings ...

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
DWayne

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 09:18 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions guys but I've got plenty of coolers. What I need is a kite bag for my Talon set.
Mike, some good ideas there. I was thinking of a round zippered bag. Just big enough for 3 Talons and 3 line sets. The bag of "other" kites has the spare parts & tools.
The foam I ordered is a high density closed cell foam. Ballistic nylon outer shell and 200d oxford inner shell. I was thinking of making internal pockets with nylon netting & velcro closures for the line sets.
I plan on using a full length one way marine zipper. I think they're more weather proof than two way zippers.

Denny

inewham

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 09:48 AM »

I was thinking of making internal pockets with nylon netting & velcro closures for the line sets.

Velcro can snag and pull lines, I'd use a zip on the line pockets too.

DWayne

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 01:03 PM »

I was thinking of making internal pockets with nylon netting & velcro closures for the line sets.

Velcro can snag and pull lines, I'd use a zip on the line pockets too.

Thanks Ian. I've added more zippers to my order.

Denny

obijuankenobe

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 01:07 AM »

I think the idea of designing the bag to fold in half is a good one, but more than a little difficult. 

I don't fly (airline) alot...not more than 5 times per year, but my speedbag (prism) is not up to this challenge, despite what might have been intended.  I do invariably bring kites along as carry on, but then in a clear poster tube...and then only two SeaDevs.

I think you should stick to the luxury field bag idea, unless you come up with a very ingenious way of making a convertible bag...and then you should let me know.  Maybe I'll place an order. Undecided

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
benjai

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 02:38 AM »

I thought about making my own bag a little while back, but bailed and got the R-sky one. There's lots of good features you could use for inspiration in that bag. A couple of sewn in loops to attach keys, maybe a couple of small but very secure pockets for valuables (phone, ipod).

I was also thinking of ways to make a full/half length bag. For a zippered bag, you could just add a tab to the two ends with a clip about 18" from the end of the bag, such that they would fold up and be clipped to the bag (I suggest both rather than one end, as the mountings for the strap, if you have one, and the handle would remain in the middle in both configurations. If you fancy a roll-up type, you could configure the ends so the fold in before rolling, which would be much neater.

You could also add a 6x6 sewn in groundsheet in a small pocket on the base (very thin, kinda like the pre-attached waterproof covers on some rucksacks) to give you a clean working area on the field. Maybe a couple of staking loops in the corners?

Or you could just keep it simple, and build a triple sleeve that rolls up (three sleeves side by side).

Not sure any of that helps?
DWayne

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 06:23 AM »

Thanks for the input guys. I've thought some about how to make a convertible bag but haven't been able to come up with a suitable way to preserve the integrity of the foam padding. It wasn't really a high priority for me so I didn't give it as much thought as I could have. My main objective was a nice day bag just big enough for a set of kites (or your favorite few). My thought was why haul a dozen kites, line sets, and parts to the field when I'm only going to fly one or two kites and use one or two line sets?
benjai, I like the idea of a couple of small pockets and a key loop. Those will have to be part of this bag. Thanks.
This thing is still on the drawing board so if anyone else has any thoughts or suggestions...........

Denny

MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 09:07 AM »

Before I made my bag, like you I looked at the attributes of the other bags out there and figured out what I liked and didn't like. Here's what I ended up making and still like.

Tube-style with a full-length double zipper so it would lay flat and I can open it anywhere to pull out one thing. If you're worried about water penetration (though it's not a dry bag), sew a storm flap over the zipper. Mine stays very dry, even when I've been caught out in the rain.

Internal mesh pockets lining both sides, zippered as velcro snags the lines. Easy to see the contents and sand falls out.

One long external pocket with three built-in dividers sewn to the bag side that can be velcro'd open or folded flat. This way it can hold really long items or be segmented down to as many as four pockets. Double zipper with a storm flap, again for the same reason.

XXX-crossed bungi cord outside of the pocket to hold a jacket or whatever.

The usual middle-placed duffle-style handles.

Two cinch straps to either end of the handles to snug up the bag when needed, with four D-rings (both sides of the zipper) to clip on a shoulder strap.

Loops on the ends for easy grabbing, hanging, or whatever, and can be used if you do want to fold it over and shorten it.

I made mine 54" since I rarely leave a kite full length. This holds almost all my SLKs and fits nicely across a car, too. There's half a zipper sewn into and around one end so that in the event I wanted to add an extension piece I could just zip it on. Haven't had that desire yet.

Keys, sunscreen, etc. can be clipped anywhere with a mini-carabiner.

Made a matching Prism-style line bag but usually end up putting my lines into the internal pockets.

Whew, that's kinda long winded but hope it helps.

Bob
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 09:12 AM »

I've thought about making my own as well, but have stuck with my speed bag for now.

I usually only have 3 kites in it, sometimes 4 with an indoor as well.  What I do like about it most is the spine it includes.  Especially with a small number of kites in the bag at full length, the spine offers some protection.  Perhaps with an open-style bag, the does not make sense.

The other thing is that I would provide a built-in way to attach the bag to the "hand rails" that are above the doors of many cars - both of mine at least.   That way, the bag could be attached there and mostly up and out of the way of passengers.  It could be as simple as a couple of loops with a small  bit of velcro.

Anyhow, just some thought on it.  Canwait to see what you build.

6 kite tom
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 01:58 PM »

One long external pocket with three built-in dividers sewn to the bag side that can be velcro'd open or folded flat. This way it can hold really long items or be segmented down to as many as four pockets. Double zipper with a storm flap, again for the same reason.

XXX-crossed bungi cord outside of the pocket to hold a jacket or whatever.

Two cinch straps to either end of the handles to snug up the bag when needed, with four D-rings (both sides of the zipper) to clip on a shoulder strap.

Loops on the ends for easy grabbing, hanging, or whatever, and can be used if you do want to fold it over and shorten it.

Leave it an accountant to figure out all these little details. I really like this segmented pocket idea of Bobs since that pocket would still be basically smooth externally. For those who don't carry multiple bags and don't mind external snag points the bungi XXX's to stuff extra layers of clothing or a blanket for the ground is excellent also.

We'll all be wanting one Denny after this design by commitee, if you need more Cordura we have a few dozen yards, colors guaranteed to not get lost on the field Grin

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
DWayne

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 04:53 PM »

Thanks for the reply Bob. Sounds like you made a nice bag. A bit more of a bag than I had in mind. I'm just looking to make a bag big enough for 3 or 4 kites and a few line sets. 99% of my flying is done within 100 yards of my front door. I don't really need to carry spare parts or lots of other things to the field. I've got a bigger (but still small) bag for those rare occasions when I fly somewhere else.
Mike, I'm going to use ballistic nylon for the outer shell. I like the finish better than cordura.

Denny

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document