GWTW Forum
April 17, 2014, 02:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to Fly In Ct?  (Read 2788 times)
Crimsongost
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: April 18, 2009, 04:44 AM »

Being relitavely new to Ct. any one out there know a good place to fly in Ct? I live near hartford and have only found a dog park where I can fly the wind there is iffy at best. Everone says go to the coast but all be beaches I have found are evil "NO KITES" Any good ideas ?

Thanks
Mitchell

Thanks
Mitchell

1983 Skynasaur aerobat
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 06:53 AM »

Hey there...

I'm from LongIsland, but have flown at Hammonassett beach a couple of times. They have a kite festival coming up soon, too. I think it's listed on the AKA web site. Hammonassett should be 45min-hour from you.

As far as 'no kites' signs, they're everywhere... it's really just a liability dodge for the municipality, not really enforced. You'll also notice they say no frisbee, ball playing, pets, bathing suits... etc. The local governments have gotten out of hand with the 'pay alot to have no fun' policies.

If you ever decide to come across on the ferry, I'll be happy to show you some good places to fly on the Island.

~Rob.

RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 07:46 AM »

Being relitavely new to Ct. any one out there know a good place to fly in Ct? I live near hartford and have only found a dog park where I can fly the wind there is iffy at best. Everone says go to the coast but all be beaches I have found are evil "NO KITES" Any good ideas ?

Mitchell -

I live about 20 minutes north of New Haven.  I've been flying in CT for the past 11 years, so I can tell you that what you've heard is true - you really have to get down to the coast.  Don't know about the "no kite flying" signs, but since our beaches tend to be very small, the best bets are the grass fields along the shoreline.  As Rob pointed out, Hammonasset is a great choice.  We fly on the huge grass fields adjacent to the West Beach parking lot.  We hold a small kite festival there in May BTW.

Probably the best flying spot in the state (one of the best in New England) is Harkness SP out in Waterford.  It's the grounds of an old mansion, turned into a SP, and the back lawn of the mansion is a huge expanse of grass that slopes gently down to the water.  I've logged hundreds of hours flying there, and when the wind is off the water there's nothing like it.

There are a few other decent places in the state.  Savin Rock in West Haven is has a small grass field that's pretty nice when the wind is SE to SW, and I've logged quite a few hours there too, as it's the closest shore location for me.  Sherwood Isle used to be another decent spot, but I haven't been there in years so I can't comment on what it's like now.
Crimsongost
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 05:27 PM »

Thanks to all who posted I just got back from Harkness State Park and had a great time. Lots of people with single line kites, did not see another dual line. Nice constant wind LOTS of space, thanks again for all who posted.

Mitchell

Thanks
Mitchell

1983 Skynasaur aerobat
RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 07:25 AM »

Thanks to all who posted I just got back from Harkness State Park and had a great time. Lots of people with single line kites, did not see another dual line. Nice constant wind LOTS of space, thanks again for all who posted.

Glad to hear you flew there.  It's really one of the best places.  Not surprised you didn't see any other dual-lines, but it's a little sad.  10 years ago we'd had a pretty good core group of stunt kite fliers that would be there every weekend (sometimes both days) during the spring, summer, and fall.  Years of competition have left me a little burnt out on flying so I don't get out there much anymore, but I miss it sometimes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography