GWTW Forum
July 22, 2014, 02:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your top 10 list!  (Read 6977 times)
Ace
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2011, 07:58 PM »

Haven't really flown 10 kites yet for any great length of time. I only own 8 Tend to stick to what I like for Months on end.....

Here it goes.

1. Mohawk XS (Current Version) Have only had 10-12 hours on this kite but love it Cool light on the lines, deep long lasting turtle, really forgiving, no real dead spots or quirky attributes that stand out. I have really clicked with this kite and will stick with it for a long time.

2. Benson Deep Space. Best built kite I own, after a year of abuse many months as a noob, the kite still looks as new. Solid feel on the end of the lines, opened up alot of tricks for me.

3.R-Sky KFX spent a bit of time on this kite at the "just after noob stage", super tricky kite and one of the best tracking kites I have. I look forward to getting back to it one day, when I can do it justice.

4. R-Sky Nirvana same as above, loved the kite but was just not good enough to appreciate it when I was flying it 18 months ago.

5. Prism Quantum, I know not a tricky kite but it was my first proper stunt kite and what a place to start. Pulls like a truck, tracks like a train and is a strong as an OX. Fond memories with this kite as I learned. Can pull a crowd in high wind with its speed and sound.

6. Prism E2, My first trick kite, learned all the basics with this one, lot of good "first moments" May not get out of the bag these days but holds a special place none the less.

7. Prism Micron, can be fun in high wind for about 1/2 hour or so. If your quick enough good at tricks too.

Kites that I have flown only briefly but are worthy of mention are.

Sportkite Design Seven- Best looking kite around, with great build quality. Very trick capable and solid feel at the end if the lines.

Talon (Original specs) - Super pitchy and tricky kite, much like the deep space with a more sluggish feel at the end of the lines (I think anyway)

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
steve.hobart
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2011, 03:59 PM »

1. Fearless Vented
2. NSE Standard
3. NSE WW
4. Exile UL
5. L'Atelier xtr UL
6. L'Atelier Double Zero
7. Elixer
7. Prophecy
8. Gemini UL
9. Ozone
10.Maelstrom (Kevin Sanders)

cheers

steve
ghfisanotti

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2011, 05:43 PM »

If I restrict my list to those kites I've tried and liked, it would include these:

1) Sturdy Design's Saber II (No doubt, my first choice, I just love this kite!)

2) Prism E2 (my first full-size kite, learnt the basic tricks with it, still enjoy flying it from time to time)

3) Alto Vuelo Proteus (STD and UL, excellent all-around kite)

4) Benson Gemini (love the strange looks)

5) Prism Zephyr (very slow and nice in low winds)

6) R-Sky Toxic
Ca Ike

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2011, 06:33 PM »

Well if a kite is in my collection its because I like it for one reason or another.  I'll list my favorites but in no specific order.

Prism Zephyr - good all around performer, easy to trick and smooth.
Prism elixir- amazing for its age, will do every trick in the book and has a surprisingly light pull for a full size kite (90+ inch span)
Skyburner ADX-- easily the smoothest flying kite I own, tracks very well and trick transitions are smooth as glass
Prism Ozone- not a modern trick kite but real pleasure to fly in light winds,  smooth graceful and tough.
Prism Vapor- just a beautiful kite and still one of the  best no wind kites around
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2011, 07:12 PM »

Prism elixir- amazing for its age, will do every trick in the book....
May I respectfully suggest that you are in possession of an outdated edition of this book.

I've got no issue with someone liking an older kite for whatever reason (and nostalgia is OK too) but let's retain a smidgen of composure, shall we ? Wink

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Ca Ike

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2011, 07:31 PM »

Prism elixir- amazing for its age, will do every trick in the book....
May I respectfully suggest that you are in possession of an outdated edition of this book.

I've got no issue with someone liking an older kite for whatever reason (and nostalgia is OK too) but let's retain a smidgen of composure, shall we ? Wink

Mike.
Well I've been able to do the simple tricks( axels and the variations), JL, rolling susan, backspins, single and double roll ups(pain to catch the upper LE fittings though), lewis and insanes. A couple people I let fly it could get taz, slots and comete out of it(tricks I don't know yet).  All the ground work tricks are there.  I'm sure crazy copter rollup 540's and roll up axels could be done if stops were added so you don't have to try and hit the upper LE fittings.  I haven't seen a trick yet that someone hasn't been able to get out of the elixir.
zippy8

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2011, 07:55 PM »

I haven't seen a trick yet that someone hasn't been able to get out of the elixir.

Well Tricks Party now includes the cascade comete and yofade backspin in their book, as an off-the-top-of-my-head fr'instance. You've seen an Elixir been put through these, have you ?

Mike.

King-J

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2011, 08:14 PM »

Standards.

1) JoE, Talon

2) Alpha Kites, TNT (Flown once, loved it, hope to get one soon)

3) BMK, Exile

4) Skyburner, Widow Maker

5) Benson, Gemini (Flown once, loves to Fade)

UL's

6) BMK, Exile UL (Fly's in almost no wind)

7) JoE, Talon

8 ) Alpha Kites, Zero (Flown once)

9) Skyburner, Widow Maker UL

10) Tricktail
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 08:16 PM by King-J » Logged

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
Kantaxel

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2011, 08:21 PM »

I haven't seen a trick yet that someone hasn't been able to get out of the elixir.

Well Tricks Party now includes the cascade comete and yofade backspin in their book, as an off-the-top-of-my-head fr'instance. You've seen an Elixir been put through these, have you ?

Mike.

Easy Mike.....
Your anti-Prism fetish is showing Wink

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Ca Ike

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2011, 08:34 PM »

Mike.
WEll I have seen it comete'd in both directions but not as a cascade.  IF by yofade backspin you mean what was once called a fruit roll up followed by backspin combo then yes.  If its a rolled up backspin then no, but I haven't seen any kites so far do a rolled up backspin.

Tell you what, send me an updated trick book and I will work on seeing what "new" tricks out of that book I can learn and then try on my elixir.  Until then I will end this debate here and stop the thread hijack.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 08:40 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2011, 04:19 AM »

Mike.
If its a rolled up backspin then no, but I haven't seen any kites so far do a rolled up backspin.

A yofade backspin is indeed a rolled up backspin, and more than a few modern kites will do them.  Wink

My favorite kites;
Alphakites: TNT Strong, TNT Comp AS, TNT Comp UL, TNT Zero

Kitehouse: Cosmic TC AS, Cosmic TC UL, Sissy

Benson: Deep Space, Deep Space UL

Sturdy Designs: Saber II

Denny
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 04:31 AM by DWayne » Logged

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
KeithG
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2011, 06:11 AM »

"A yofade backspin is indeed a rolled up backspin, and more than a few modern kites will do them. "

Only in the sense that the kite is rolled up in the lines. Wink A yo fade is entered by doing a flare (pancake). The kite is belly down facing the ground with the nose away from the flyer. Then the kite has to be pulled (poped) so that the nose rotates back under all the way past the fade position, back past the starting position and all the around untill back in a fade. The kite is now wraped in the lines and the backspin can be done. From my experience with yo fades you should not let the kite go into a full pancake, only start the move and quickly give the input to sart the kite rotating back.

In a "traditional' roll up the nose is up in normal flying position and is then pitched away from the flyer so the kite rotates 360 back to nose up while wraping the lines.

Keith

Kites & Corvettes, both, a great way to fly.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2011, 06:59 AM »

"A yofade backspin is indeed a rolled up backspin, and more than a few modern kites will do them. "

Only in the sense that the kite is rolled up in the lines.

Is there another sense that actually makes sense?
It doesn't matter if the kite pitches backwards or pitches forwards, rolled up is rolled up.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
KeithG
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2011, 09:49 AM »

If you go by the true definition of each trick then yes. One is a yo fade and the other is a roll up, two different tricks, done two different ways. Otherwise why not just call every trick by the same name?

Telling someone that a trick is that exact trick just becuase you think is does not matter how you came about it is not correct. Read the tricks party rules then tell me it does not matter.

For casual flying, sure, no big deal, do it any way you want, but you still will not have done a yo fade by rolling the kite backwards. If you plan to compete you need to know that there are differences in how a trick is done and what they are called.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 01:10 PM by KeithG » Logged

Keith

Kites & Corvettes, both, a great way to fly.
zippy8

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2011, 12:13 PM »

Tell you what, send me an updated trick book and I will work on seeing what "new" tricks out of that book I can learn and then try on my elixir.

Well you, or anyone else, could start with the latest Tricks Party listing, tick off all points on the Mindmap then see if you've pulled off what these folks have managed. I mean... if you want to do all the tricks in the book.

It's a big book, written in more than one language.

BTW how does the Elixir handle Multiyoyos (and variations thereof) ?

Mike.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document