GWTW Forum
July 31, 2014, 06:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your top 10 list!  (Read 7082 times)
DecSkybirds
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2011, 12:17 PM »

I really don't see how complaining about trick definitions and the such have ANYTHING to do with people's top 10 kites list. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 04:42 PM by DecSkybirds » Logged

Riders Of Heaven -Shiva STD, Shiva Comp UL, Shiva Full Vent, HQ X-Bow, Prism Quantum, Skyburner Wahoo UL
obijuankenobe

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2011, 12:41 PM »

Well, I personally prefer that threads get hijacked, esp. ones that are redundant to content already on GWTW and elsewhere.  It means that folks are discussing something worth reading.  Thanks for changing the title.

As far as Denny comment about rolled up being rolled up...that's is not at all true.  But of course, Denny is a competent flier and knows this. 

A yo-fade wraps the lines in one direction, and a standard roll up in the other...right??  So by definition, a backspin is probably easier in one configuration than the other...because the lines are on top in one and on the bottom in the other.

I'd like to see a video of a standard rolled up backspin.  Not sure I have seen that one.  I could be mistaken.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2011, 12:57 PM »

Thanks for hijacking the thread....
I cleared it with the board moderator and he was fine with it. People should still feel free to add their personal list of reverences in spite of this diversion into talk about flying kites.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2011, 12:59 PM »

If you ever write a book, I will buy a first edition hard bound Mr. 8.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
KeithG

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2011, 01:04 PM »

Obi, thats all I was trying to point out. You did a better job of that than I did, thanks.

I do not ever recall seeing a standard roll up taken into a backspin either, it would be a cool trick though and I would bet there is someone out there that will pull it off at some point.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 01:09 PM by KeithG » Logged

Keith

Kites & Corvettes, both, a great way to fly.
bryan beasley
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2011, 01:11 PM »

If you ever write a book, I will buy a first edition hard bound Mr. 8.  Smiley

+1. He's my favourite. ;-)
Could we get Jay to write the prologue though?

Oh,

Cosmic TC's (any flavour you like)
Talons (any flavour you like)
DS's (any flavour you like)
Old Skool Bensons
Matrix's (Matrices? a couple of pages there maybe. ;-) )
Tridents (any flavour you like)
The one and only Element
Masques and Transfers ('cept I've got none left now, and will probably end up buying some more)

Bryan
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 01:15 PM by bryan beasley » Logged
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2011, 01:55 PM »

Obi, thats all I was trying to point out. You did a better job of that than I did, thanks.

I do not ever recall seeing a standard roll up taken into a backspin either, it would be a cool trick though and I would bet there is someone out there that will pull it off at some point.

I wasn't saying a yofade backspin was done by rolling the kite backwards like you would for a Lewis. A yofade backspin is done by rolling the kite forward into the fade position. Rather hard to get a backspin from a lazy susan position. What I was saying is either way, the kite is rolled up.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2011, 03:44 PM »

Tell you what, send me an updated trick book and I will work on seeing what "new" tricks out of that book I can learn and then try on my elixir.

Well you, or anyone else, could start with the latest Tricks Party listing, tick off all points on the Mindmap then see if you've pulled off what these folks have managed. I mean... if you want to do all the tricks in the book.

It's a big book, written in more than one language.

BTW how does the Elixir handle Multiyoyos (and variations thereof) ?

Mike.
THanks for the links. I looked but the tricksparty website is no longer active and the list of tricks I was able to find is 5 years old.  As for multi yoyos, the only source I can send you to to see at least one variation is prisms trickshow 2 vid on the freestyle pilot dvd.  THat was either Mark Reed or Jon Weldon doing a 3-5 wrap fruit rollup.  I've managed a double yoyo and fruit roll up as well as a double wrap lewis but my roll up tricks are still works in progress and I will state it again that the elixir can do them but you have to catch both upper LE fittings to do multiwraps unless you add stoppers.  Adding stoppers and yoyo glides similar to what the q-pro has should make roll up tricks more reliable.  HEck without the stops and roll bars pretty much all modern kites would have the same issues with roll up tricks the elixir has.  THat doesn't mean they can't be done.
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2011, 04:04 PM »

I'm starting to think this thread will be able to set a new GWTW record for how many times the name is changed.............I can't even remember the original subject.........oh that's right......it was 'How many kites can you fit into a 10 kite list?'

Rock on Mates Cool

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2011, 04:07 PM »

...you have to catch both upper LE fittings ....
Is that right ? Ordinarily this position is way too high to be effective and APAs don't offer a big catch area. IIRC the Elixir, at least for single wraps, didn't catch on anything.

Mike,
let's be adults and discuss.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2011, 04:32 PM »

Here is my list of kites that changed the way I flew (or at least changed the way I thought about flying).
Prism Fanatic.  Simply because it was the first "real " sport kite I owned and the kite with which I learned most tricks.
Prism Vapor.  First SUL and introduced me to the joys of low/no wind flying.
Benson Outer Space.  My first free kite courtesy Into the Wind. It did what limited tricks I could do at that time with grace.  Could have been one of my favorite all time kites if I didn't find it so damn ugly
Benson Gemini.  It was THE KITE at that time.
Blue Moon Mamba.  My first BMK.  One of the best pure flying experiences.
TrickTail Ultra Lite.  Forever changed the way I approached sport kite flying.

Please feel free to disagree strongly with any of my choices or comments.  My skin is rather thick after many years on this and other kite forums and rec.kites. 

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Nosebleed

« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2011, 04:41 PM »

Here is my list of kites that changed the way I flew (or at least changed the way I thought about flying).
Benson Outer Space.  My first free kite courtesy Into the Wind. It did what limited tricks I could do at that time with grace.  Could have been one of my favorite all time kites if I didn't find it so damn ugly
TrickTail Ultra Lite.  Forever changed the way I approached sport kite flying.

Please feel free to disagree strongly with any of my choices or comments.  My skin is rather thick after many years on this and other kite forums and rec.kites. 

Funny, I think the Trick Tails are rather ugly also
Steve
Global Moderator

« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2011, 04:46 PM »

You are aware I can track your IP.
 Wink

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Nosebleed

« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2011, 04:50 PM »

You are aware I can track your IP.
 Wink

Thick skinned? Smiley
Steve
Global Moderator

« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2011, 04:51 PM »

Also you have proven yourself unqualified to make any comment as any  knowledgeable flier worth their salt (particularly someone that owns one) knows the kite is a TrickTail and not a Trick Tail.
 Huh

Steve ... Ancient One
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document