GWTW Forum
July 24, 2014, 10:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your top 10 list!  (Read 7001 times)
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 05:29 PM »

Zerostar, Sano SSL, SSZ
Rev 2, Vented Rev 2, Vented Rev 1.5
Gemini, Gemini UL
Deep Space
Rev 1.5, Barresi 1.5, Supersonic
Mantis UL
Sea Devil SUL, Light
Vendetta UL
Allstar
Mini Gem

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
glider
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2011, 05:48 PM »

Zerostar
Mantis UL& Std
Hybrid 200
Rev B-series midvent
Fearless SUL
Talon UL
Deep Space
Vented Sonic
Exile

Dave
pdx

cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2011, 06:14 PM »

Fearless
Sea Devil
Exile
Nirvana
Cesium
Vendetta
Gemini
Skate
Soul
Rev 1.5

CV
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 06:19 PM by cerfvoliste » Logged

boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2011, 07:53 PM »

1.  BMK Ichiban
2.  BMK Mojo UL
3.  BMK Mojo Std.
4.  BMK Mojo Vented
5.  BMK Mamba
6.  Rev Zen
7.  Rev B-Series Pro Vented
8.  Rev B-Series Pro MidVent
9.  Rev B-Series Pro Std
10. Rev Masterpiece Night Creeper/Ninja Eyes Vented
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 11:53 PM »

1  Fearless Vented Light
2  Mohawk XS UL
3  Transformer SUL
4  Mohawk XS std
5  Fearless SUL
6  Transformer TL
7  Fearless std
8  Fearless light
9  TNT UL
10 Nirvana UL

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2011, 07:50 AM »

Through my years these are the ones that made a lasting impression on me.

• 1: TRLBY (because it started it for me, the Peter Powell should get the credit but they don't fly in our lighter winds)
  • 2: TOTL Hawaiian Team Chevron (Epic kite, Possibly responsible for exposing more people to kiting then any other, planted the seed for competitions, team ballet and power kiting)
  • 3: Flexi Foil (another kite that lit the fire for powerkiting, my favorite is the Pro Team 8' ... swooosh!)
  • 4: Action Fire Dart (always wanted one, never got one, In my experience it was the first widely available kite with 90% of the features & form we still use)
  • 5: Revolution (I have a 1 & II, II is my favorite, 1.5 is a nice compromise between them and I've thoroughly enjoyed the full vent)
  • 6: Skyburner Pro Dancer SUL (just keeps going & going)
  • 7: New Tech Jam Session (killed kiting as we knew it, of course tricks were around but Dodd gave everybody a video to set the bar)
  • 8: BMK Mamba (look in Websters under 'Epic', isn't that how a kite "Should" fly?)
  • 9: BMK 61/49 (opened a lot of eye's to low/no wind outdoor SLK fun)
  • 10: Skyburner Widowmaker (still my go to kite, sure there are kites better at this or that, this kite is just the most well rounded and forgiving I've flown)

There are dozens of others more worthy of mention as being better kites or earlier to market with features. I went with widely available consumer kites here in the US for the first part since that was what I was.  Prism is conspicuously absent, Mark Reed has set the bar though for marketing, providing a wide selection of attractively packaged kites at good prices. Then there's Tim Benson and the Phantom, the Stranger/Phsycho, MEFM, Peter Bettencourt, Miguel Rodriguez's Wasp, Dean Jordan, etc. etc.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 08:46 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 08:47 AM »

okay...who has the time and gumption to make up this database and pop out some charts?Huh??

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
DecSkybirds

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 09:37 AM »

okay...who has the time and gumption to make up this database and pop out some charts?Huh??

Lol, I was thinking of this, lets give it some more time.  Would like to get at least 40-50 people to do top 10 before I compile data Smiley

Riders Of Heaven -Shiva STD, Shiva Comp UL, Shiva Full Vent, HQ X-Bow, Prism Quantum, Skyburner Wahoo UL
lylenc

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 10:59 AM »

I didn't go into older kites for my prior list. In their day, some of my go-to kites were:

TRLBY, Flexifoil 6' & 10', TOTL Spinoff, Jordan Air Millenium, Pro Wren, Crystal, Spyrojet, and others that didn't quite make it to go-to status.

gray

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 02:29 PM »

Invictus (all models) by DEsign
Nirvana (all models) by R-Sky
Vendetta by Viper Sport Kites
Viper by Viper Sport Kites
Machine by Ron G.
Saber II by Sturdy Designs
Hydra by Focus Kites
Talon by Jest of Eve
Vapor by Prism Designs
Cosmic TC Ghost by Kitehouse
Magpiesfooty
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2011, 05:54 PM »

I think that we need to have everyone list their kites that are more than 15 years old with a brief description. Also to tell why they like it!

Yeah!!
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2011, 07:07 PM »

I think that we need to have everyone list their kites that are more than 15 years old with a brief description. Also to tell why they like it!

Yeah!!

Maybe you should start an Antique Kites thread.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Adicakes
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2011, 07:14 PM »

This is not an ordinal set.

Benson Gemini  Unique looks and unique performance with top build quality.  No one else has made a twin-spine kite work nearly as well as Benson.  The Gemini is still entirely relevant today, which says a lot for its designers.
Benson Deepspace  A wonderful mix of smooth Benson flow and the harder-edge that the French brought to the table.  If I have a mind-meld going on with any one kite, it's this one.
Benson C-class  I've included this just so that I can say I've got one. Cheesy
R-sky Nirvana  The Nirvana offers two personalities: you can fly it TP style and it will excel at that; on the other hand, it's not so neutral that all the playfulness is removed, so you can also bust out some great improvised combinations.
R-sky Krystal FX  An extremely tricky kite with a great sail graphic.  More forgiving about trick execution than the Nirvana, the KFX is a boon when you just want things to work.
R-sky Frenezy Evo  My first French kite, this one will always have a special place in my heart.  Like the KFX, this one is very, very tricky, though things happen a lot quicker on the Evo.  Cometes so fast they start to blur. Smiley
R-sky Nirvana FX  The small kite that performs like a much larger one.  Very good tracking and a nice deep backflip to make all the lazy/JL stuff easy.  If the NFX was easier to yoyo, it'd come close to the perfect Nirvana variant.
Sportkitedesign Seven  Build wise, the Seven is one of the best kite building achievements around today.  The amount of work and detail in each one is amazing.  Fortunately, it also performs great too!
Sportkitedesign MXS  My current love, the MXS offers very good tracking and a nice flicky way of tricking.  A very neat performer all round.
L'atelier Transfer XT.s  Big, elegant, and imposing.  Watch the videos of Mayet doing two-handed multilazies on the XT.s - simply mesmerizing!
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2011, 01:05 PM »

List the top 10 kites you revere the most.
Hmmmm.... these are the duallies that I want to fly and I want to fly them 'cos I like the way they do that. Is that reverence enough ?

Windfactory Androgyn
KRD Dot Matrix
Kitehouse Cosmic TC Ghost

There are plenty of others that I'll be more than happy to fly, either because I know them (any size of Fury) or due to reputation (RonG's Machine, Alphakites' TNTs (but I'm working on that)) but these are the three kites that I'll reach past others to put on the ends of my lines. And three is enough for me  Smiley

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
lylenc

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2011, 03:54 PM »

I really like the Androgyn, too. The Tricky Ricky video makes it irresistable, not that I can fly that well.  Cry

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document