GWTW Forum
July 26, 2014, 04:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your top 10 list!  (Read 7023 times)
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2011, 04:52 PM »

If I were really sensitive I would have hit the ban button already.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2011, 04:53 PM »

THat was either Mark Reed or Jon Weldon doing a 3-5 wrap fruit rollup.  I've managed a double yoyo and fruit roll up as well as a double wrap lewis but my roll up tricks are still works in progress and I will state it again that the elixir can do them but you have to catch both upper LE fittings to do multiwraps unless you add stoppers.  Adding stoppers and yoyo glides similar to what the q-pro has should make roll up tricks more reliable.  HEck without the stops and roll bars pretty much all modern kites would have the same issues with roll up tricks the elixir has.  THat doesn't mean they can't be done.

Not that I want to get involved in this, but..........

I am pretty sure that I have seen multi-yoyo with immediate 1/2 lazy unroll on the Elixir (flown by John).  He does some mad combos with that thing - low and slow in near no wind.

For sure, you can roll it up and fly around (taking it easy - its just gripped on the LEs and fabric) before unrolling unmodded with no yoyo stoppers.  No TW on that kite either as I recall.

I can't imagine catching the lines on the APA connectors, but who knows.

6 kite tom
Nosebleed
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2011, 04:56 PM »

If I were really sensitive I would have hit the ban button already.
Angry
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2011, 05:02 PM »

Making less than flattering comments about TrickTails (particularly UL"s) is considered  blasphemy and on the unpublished list of reasons for banning.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2011, 05:36 PM »

...you have to catch both upper LE fittings ....
Is that right ? Ordinarily this position is way too high to be effective and APAs don't offer a big catch area. IIRC the Elixir, at least for single wraps, didn't catch on anything.

Mike,
let's be adults and discuss.
Yes it is a bit high by about 3-4 inches I would say (based on where I see the lines hit when I fail to catch) but if you can can catch them it works and flys fairly well rolled up.  The upper spreader is also lower on the LE and wider compared to most kites I own or have seen so that may have a lot to do with it. From looking at it and comparing it to my zeph measurements , the US is about 2-3 inches lower on the LE comparatively even though it still falls in the 20% from the end of the spine placement.  More than likely its the curved LE that made the apa position necessary and put them in a good spot for roll ups.  

Now like any kite you have to adjust you inputs and to have a good chance of catching the fittings. I have to bring my hands closer together (almost touching) while giving the slack for the roll up to bring the flying lines closer to the nose as it rolls and when I get it there is only about an inch of room to spare so its not easy by any means.

ITs was that multi-wrap fruit roll up on the prism vid that got me wanting to try it myself.  I can see now from messing up backflip inputs how this trick was conceived and how difficult it was before yoyo stops came out and why yoyo stops were added.

Not that I want to get involved in this, but..........

I am pretty sure that I have seen multi-yoyo with immediate 1/2 lazy unroll on the Elixir (flown by John).  He does some mad combos with that thing - low and slow in near no wind.

For sure, you can roll it up and fly around (taking it easy - its just gripped on the LEs and fabric) before unrolling unmodded with no yoyo stoppers.  No TW on that kite either as I recall.

I can't imagine catching the lines on the APA connectors, but who knows.
Ok my kite short hand is a bit limited Tom but if you mean tail weight, then your right, there is no tail weight on the lix.  I've never seen a need for one since it's quite pitchy stock and in all the info gleaning I have done to figure out how John sets up his lix, I haven't found anything suggesting he used  one either.  John and Mark both do some amazing flying on those old prisms.  Dave Minzel is another one that can do some mad tricks on the lix.  Too bad the only clips I can find of his flying is on the old prism vids.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2011, 05:51 PM »

Mr 8.....

As John Welden explained to me and I have done on several occasions, when doing Elixir Yo-yos, first put a twist or 2 in the lines. That will bring the 2 lines closer together.

I have been able to catch both lines on the ULE connectors, but not near the repeatability of Mr. Welden. And even if you miss the ULE connectors the very curved leading edges of the Elixir will hold the lines up for a few seconds, often long enough to do a trick or unroll and try again.

As I have said before, the Elixir does not need the "training wheels" (keel weight, yoyo stoppers) to perform many (perhaps not all in the zippylexicon) of the modern tricks.

My top 10 list can be found several times in past threads and includes the AirFX and TrickTail UL. Although I do like the Ghost recently purchased from DWayne.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2011, 06:17 PM »

Catching APAs doesn't seem to be a problem for the  Lix Apostles Mark and John........now for us less accomplished flyers, it takes some doing, even with twists in the lines.

That's why the Lix is #10 on my list not three or four, or maybe even #1

« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 06:23 PM by Kantaxel » Logged

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Kantaxel

« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2011, 06:27 PM »

Ok my kite short hand is a bit limited Tom but if you mean tail weight, then your right, there is no tail weight on the lix.  I've never seen a need for one since it's quite pitchy stock and in all the info gleaning I have done to figure out how John sets up his lix, I haven't found anything suggesting he used  one either.  John and Mark both do some amazing flying on those old prisms.  Dave Minzel is another one that can do some mad tricks on the lix.  Too bad the only clips I can find of his flying is on the old prism vids.

I always like to put a nickel and a penny in the spine velcro.....really helps to make the flic flacs easier for me.  (as recommmended to me by a very accomplished flyer who's name will not be disclosed in this thread)

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
zippy8

« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2011, 06:49 PM »

okay...who has the time and gumption to make up this database and pop out some charts?Huh??
It's as if you don't know me at all Shocked

As of now... the three most revered kites
  • Deep Space
  • Gemini
  • Nirvana

Bubbling under...
  • Exile
  • Fearless
  • Talon

Favouritest out-of-production kite
  • Elixir

Even not counting the various quad- and single-liners that were suggested (what part of the forum is this ?) there are still mentions for over 100 kites (and I am counting SUL/UL/STD/Vent as the same kite). Virtually no kite ever made hasn't managed to be loved by someone.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2011, 08:29 PM »

I always like to put a nickel and a penny in the spine velcro.....really helps to make the flic flacs easier for me.  (as recommmended to me by a very accomplished flyer who's name will not be disclosed in this thread)

Jim

I've heard that the nickel and penny almost give the kite a 6th sense!  Smiley

6 kite tom
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2011, 10:07 PM »

Funny, I think the Trick Tails are rather ugly also

I disagree

Allen, AKA kitehead
jaydub

« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2011, 12:31 AM »

Not sure I can contribute a top ten of kites I have flown that I really liked, but let's see how far I can get;

Kites I have owned:
Benson Gemini
Benson Deep Space (Std & UL)
Talon

Kites I have flown and really liked:
SportKiteDesign Seven
Custom Made Kites Ophidion

Kites that I would like to own, but have not flown:
Level One Black Pearl
Alphakites TNT
Challenger Sails K2
BMK Exile

Guess, nine ain't bad Smiley

Edit: Just thought of #10 - Nirvana
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 12:00 PM by jaydub » Logged
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2011, 12:44 AM »

ok, I'll play too.  of kites I own

BMK Exile
Vortex (design by C. Derefat)
Aerostar Sano SSL
BMK Muse
B'zar 2010 (design by Werner)
Skyburner Ocius std
Prism Zephyr (w/ modified LE tension and modified leach line)
REV SLE
Organic (C. Derefat)
Prism 4d
Nosebleed

« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2011, 01:44 AM »

Funny, I think the Trick Tails are rather ugly also

I disagree

Must be some kind of a moderator 'thingy' I guess Sad

That's not a picture of a UL, is it?

Cheesy

WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2011, 03:22 AM »

Now this is ENTERTAINING!  Undecided  Cool  Grin

The list, well I've only been flying for a few years and haven't put quality time into many kites, I own far more kites than I fly regularly.

And therefore...

To do justice to a kite I'd like to think I've put at least 10 hours on it before I make too many decisions.

So the list of ones that rate...

Flown.

1/ Talon STD
2/ QPro SUL/STD
3/ Illusion 97'
4/ Temptation KaoS Designs

Flown (not enough), and quite possibly will make the list...

5/ DS
6/ Seven

Finally, Kites I'd bother to put time into down the track from what I've seen.

8/ TNT
9/ A Nirvana of some sort maybe...

10/ .... for a tomorrow kite....

WD (as usual, just making up the numbers) 

WinterDaze AoF
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document