GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 06:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Strobe Help  (Read 742 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: April 29, 2011, 03:19 PM »

I'm going to a Roller Derby game next weekend. Normally, I shoot outdoors during the day and just use the built-in strobe on the D5000 (which is pretty good considering) for fill-in. I've been looking at the Nikon strobes and they can cost up to $500 if you want the big boy with full capability. I will be in the infield and cued to the "action" shots as they come up. Not that it's planned or anything.  Wink

Any suggestions on other strobes to consider, or how best to use a larger strobe in a high motion arena would be appreciated.

Thanks.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 03:47 PM »

I find it's a balancing act John, firstly get your ISO up to as high as you're happy.

Next is aperture, cover your error zone of focus or if it's not ultra fast glass then 5.6 it'll be.

Now i choose Shutter Speed, as slow as i dare and around there.

I think thats a 'way' of doing it, it gets you the 'best' available numbers,
Other than that 'bigger is better' unless you throw in close forground objects.

Hope that makes some sense,

WD

WinterDaze AoF
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 04:02 PM »

I know B&H has the newer sb700 for approx $325. Adorama has a used sb600 for $279 that would take advantage of the camera's TTL capability.  an expense option I know, but I use my flash pretty regularly (I have an older sb800).  The used or refurbished sb600 would be beneficial.  Another option is to see if you could rent a speedlight for the day you need it.  I've done this with lenses that are significantly out of my price range.  It may depend on what your local shops have to offer. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 11:42 PM by sugarbaker » Logged
Sherman Myers
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 04:10 PM »

I bought a SB 600 from the Nikon Store -- $180 refurbished.

http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonusa/en_US/list/Nikon_Outlet/Refurbished_Flashes/parentCategoryID.43896400/categoryID.43898300

Good luck.

Sherman Myers
Westfield, NJ
cgregurich73
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 09:47 PM »

John, a sb600 would work great for you I have shot some roller derby this year. With a d5000 you should be able to shoot with a decent iso of about 1600 with out any noise showing. A f stop of f8 or f10 and if you are using an off camera flash you should not be shooting any slower than 125th of a sec. When buying a flash you should see what the sync speed is becuase if you shoot to fast you will clip the image. HAve fun shooting this sport john its a blast and watch out if you are in the suicide area of the rink. New sb 600 run around 276.00

My wife can't tell me to go fly a kite when shes mad at me now.

Whats in the bag?
 Hq baby tana 2002
 Revolution 1.5
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 01:21 AM »

just an fyi: typical photographic strobe units have a flash duration of 1/400th to 1/30,000th of a second. they generally can't modulate the intensity of the output brightness, so they make the output adjustable by varying the amount of time the scene is being illuminated by the flash.

so sync would only become an issue above 1/400th shutter speed, but conversely, since 1/400th is the slowest flash duration any shutter speed slower than 1/400th only increases your exposure of ambient light sources, not elements illuminated by the flash.

edit: but you should always check your camera documentation for sync speed as there is some variance.

didn't mean to sidetrack john, just wanted the technical information here to be on track.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 01:27 AM by fidelio » Logged

Fdeli
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum