GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 05:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite Newbie  (Read 2245 times)
Connie.M
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 19, 2011, 04:01 PM »

So about three years ago I saw this nice guy fly a two stringed kite in the kite festival near my town, I recently remembered how awesome that was and decided to get one for myself.
I've never flown a two stringed kite before so I was looking to get a stunt kite that I could practice with (crashing wise). I'm worried though that there isn't really enough wind in Canada to fly most beginner kites (I think it's about 3-6mph where I live) I know the wind picks up around summer but I don't what to buy my first kite and only be able to fly it 2 or 3 months of the year. Any suggestions for what kind of brand I should get would be awesome, I heard the Beetle was ok for light wind and beginners but I also I read itís sort of difficult to fly compared to other kites. I am planning on buying a better quality one as soon as I get the hang of this one.
I live near Parksville B.C., and haven't found any other stunt flyers yet, but I've seen a couple of kids with one string's and beginner power kites beginning to show up.
Any other things like the size of the strings and tips would be great ^^'
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 05:49 PM »

Somebody pointed this deal out in the last thread about begineers light wind kites

French Connection UL - $85 - I think it's a forum only special so you won't see it in the store

I have not flown the UL but found the standard to be a decent kite, If Steve can still get these for that price that's a deal on a well spec'ed kite that should preform decently in winds of 3 mph and above for you.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
RevJim
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 10:57 AM »

Or, if you are patient, watch the swap meet. You could get a nice kite for a great price. The French Connections sounds like a great deal, too.
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 04:38 AM »

You could post in the "Wanted" section and explain what you're lookin for. The Nighthawk is a good choice too. It's pretty tough too.

Bob D.
Danno419

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 12:32 PM »

Somebody pointed this deal out in the last thread about begineers light wind kites

French Connection UL - $85 - I think it's a forum only special so you won't see it in the store

I have not flown the UL but found the standard to be a decent kite, If Steve can still get these for that price that's a deal on a well spec'ed kite that should preform decently in winds of 3 mph and above for you.

a good friend of mine has the french connection UL... Its still in his bag and still is the go-to kite for new trick attempts. its taken a fair beating over the years as well.
I wish i could have gotten this $85 deal for my first kite  Tongue

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 06:39 PM »

Hi Connie.M ,        Welcome to the forum. It is a pity that you are located in  B.C, and not Toronto, as we could of gotten together and you would of been able to try out a few of our kites before you buy.
There are a lot of kites available to chose from and it can be a challenging and confusing process,but i think the FC UL at $85 is a steal of a deal,as it comes complete with lines, yo-yo gliders ,yo-yo bars, tail weights, and roll -up cage. You should try and call Steve asap and get one, if they are still available. You cannot go wrong with the FC UL.
freecheese

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 10:20 PM »

If you're ever in the Victoria neighbourhood in the near future, shoot me a message. We'll set you up with a loaner until you're ready to upgrade.
Connie.M

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 01:05 AM »

(Sorry took so long to respond, hadnít checked my messages)
Thanks guys, I was thinking on buying the Prism Zephyr for quite while on account of the wind range but the UL seems like a great deal Tongue, specially because I wouldnít want to ruin a kite like the Zephyr. 
Freecheese that's awesome!, Iíll definitely message next time we go to Victoria.   
I'll send a message to Steve, hopefully he'll still have some left, if not ill just keep checking the bargain section
Thanks for the tips again!! Smiley
WRDO Wolf

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 04:18 PM »

My first stunt kite which I still have is a Beetle by Flying Wings.  I loved it so much I bought a second one and now stack them when I go to the beach, thinking of working up to a 5 stack soon.  Here's a link to one to see what it looks like:

Beetle

(edit-changed link - mikenchico - no links to other retailers, especially when or Gracious Host Gone With The Wind / Chico Kites sells the same product)

I've seen a video of the Beetle being run over by a car and then flown with the tire tracks still visible.  Basically its almost indestructible and a great trainer.  The only problem I have is it won't side-slide well, but it will do alot of the beginner tricks and then some.  Oh yeah it is also about half the price of the Connection.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 07:47 PM by mikenchico » Logged

Fair winds and following breeze.
Danno419

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 02:54 PM »

(Sorry took so long to respond, hadnít checked my messages)
Thanks guys, I was thinking on buying the Prism Zephyr for quite while on account of the wind range but the UL seems like a great deal Tongue, specially because I wouldnít want to ruin a kite like the Zephyr. 
Freecheese that's awesome!, Iíll definitely message next time we go to Victoria.   
I'll send a message to Steve, hopefully he'll still have some left, if not ill just keep checking the bargain section
Thanks for the tips again!! Smiley

Get the Zephyr! - its the kite that really unlocked tricking for me... and its pretty damn tough too!

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 05:19 PM »

No mater what you get, your going to beat your first kite to death. Actually I have beaten all my kites to death. It is sports equipment, it wears out. My advice is to set a price range and then get a kite that you think looks great in the sky (your going to be looking at it alot). If I knew then what know now, I would pick the Zephyr.
CV

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document