GWTW Forum
August 29, 2014, 03:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who are the 'Top Guns' and the 'Young Guns'?  (Read 5491 times)
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: May 02, 2011, 02:27 AM »

Ok all,

Lets keep with the theme of 'update time' on some of the classic knowledge bases.

So.....

Who are the top international pilots flying sports kites in 2011?

EDIT: And why don't we add to this list some of our 'Young Guns'.

They don't need to be 'features' yet, they might be the person you see flying down at the local field who doesn't go in for the inter-web/forum/VF sort of thing...

Cool

« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 10:23 PM by WinterDaze » Logged

WinterDaze AoF
obijuankenobe

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 03:36 AM »

For me, I can only go by who I have seen in person. 

The obvious ones are still there...old school French fellas, Mat and Richard.  They seem to still hold court now and again. 

I think the Kitehouse (Chris and Johannes) boys still have the pairs tricking locked in (see vidoe titled 'mock2').  However, I haven't seen them fly in a few years.

I'd like to respectfully offer two: Piero (UK), and Chris (UK; that young fella that flies Furies all the time). 

These two guys were the last two pilots to make me really roll my eyes in disgust.  The jumping taz machine made several appearances, as did some ridiculous cynique variations on the Cosmic.  I mean, Piero is the undisputed heavy weight champ of VF.  That has to count for something.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 03:53 AM »

+1 for Piero and Chris (Goff). Also based on who I've seen performing myself.

DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 05:19 AM »

I'd say Thorsten Axmann deserves a place on the list.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 04:45 PM »

...so who have I seen in 2011.....  Undecided

me

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Francois
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 04:53 PM »

Steph Fermé is also to be considered specialy with some rev in his hands

The new Frank!
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 04:55 PM »

Did I hear someone suggest a Virtual Freestyle Masters round?  

Open to those placing 1st in any VF round.

6 kite tom
kiteclique
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 04:56 PM »

And representing the Antipodes ... Adrian Bickerstaffe Wink

-Frazer
WinterDaze

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 06:10 PM »

rev

Angry

Roll Eyes

WinterDaze AoF
kiteclique
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 06:16 PM »

And from the USA ... the young Will Sturdy ... and the not so young Ron Graziano.

I get to see them fly once or twice a year ... and its a privilege and no mistake.

-Frazer
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 06:33 PM »

while only having seen a few excellent flyers in person, I've thoroughly enjoyed watching Paul de Bakker fly for a couple of occasions.  Great guy and has a certain amount of grace in his style that inspires me. 
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 11:49 PM »

I kinda think a guy from down under that goes by Shannon would be my choice for a young Gun.....T Patter is some where in the middle, age wise, but his smoothness is beginning to make up for all that, IMO.  Such a subjective choice, really .............one cannot fairly compare apples and oranges, plus you have to add in the old and new skool variances.............It's an impossible comparison plus flying conditions have to be equalized......therefore VF is out.................the only fair competitition would be all the front runners in the same place at the same time........sort of a fly til you die sequence...............My choice off the top of my head under these cumsatances would be the Fearless ONE flying a Transformer SUL Vent.

Oh, and I would buy the Kool Aid Wink 

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
obijuankenobe

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 02:01 AM »

This is going to be a very enjoyable thread if the discussion continues.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
Bob D

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 04:16 AM »

I guess you'd have to rank them by their competition scores; their flying is so good you have to split hairs. So, of course, RonG and Will rank among the best. (How come we don't hear so much about the West Coast flyers? Are they on the forum?) And you can't deny the EU flyers. But, I have to say that I appreciate all the flying done to show the rest of us how to fly (Tim Benson and RandyG.)

Bob D.
DecSkybirds

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 08:11 AM »

Keith G. Randy G.  Ron G. 
The "G" tribe.  All three of these guys are the best of the best.

Riders Of Heaven -Shiva STD, Shiva Comp UL, Shiva Full Vent, HQ X-Bow, Prism Quantum, Skyburner Wahoo UL
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document