GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 03:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who are the 'Top Guns' and the 'Young Guns'?  (Read 5678 times)
bigpappo1
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 09:17 AM »

In the USA Will Sturdy Duals, Conner Doran with Quads both great!.
Europe Duals Peter Walter Maternus, Quads Polo
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 12:59 PM »

Top fliers that I've seen:

John Barresi, probably the best Rev flier anywhere. Plus he is not too bad on duel lines.

Egan Davis. A few years ago, won Tricks Party at St. Augustine with a Masque. His original plan was to make a kite for the competition. One of the final mods, ruined the kite. At the last minute, he picked up a Masque. I believe he flew it for the first time, down in Florida, right before Tricks Party.   

Adrian Flanagan. The best flier, that nobody knows. In a few years, he went from beginner to probably the best flier in the Northwest. He is in the video with Lam doing the synchronized Comets.

Lam Hoac. Say what you will about him, but I've never seen anybody work harder to continually improve his flying skills and his kite designs.

Young Guns:

Tristan Underwood, the best young gun in the Northwest. He is already a very good flier, if he continues to develop, he will be a premier flier. 

Jennifer Brown, she was out flying a lot of adults, when she was only twelve.

Fliers in videos:

The Gordon brothers, it seems like all they do is show up at Nationals and win. They rarely post, but its odd they don't generate more buzz. Rumor has it, that their sister is pretty good.

It's fun to hear the top fliers from the Northwest share stories about their time in Europe and touring around the world with Red Bull, getting to fly with the likes of Debray and Mayat. The flier that impresses them the most is Chris Goff.

Jay
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 02:47 PM »

A tip of the hat to the smoothest flier I've ever seen: John Welden

Alex Herzog is young and capable:

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Mr.Derrick
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 02:57 PM »

I'd say Thorsten Axmann deserves a place on the list.  Wink

+1

greetings from Berlin- Germany
Dirk
My Kite Picture Page: http://de.zooomr.com/photos/elduderino/sets/38621/
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 03:23 PM »

+1 there, he's got skillz

KeithG
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 04:29 PM »

Older Guard Duals:
Ron G, the best I've ever seen in person, he was not called the Machine by his fellow competitors for nothing.  I believe he can still hold is own with anybody in the world if he wants to.
Ari C. Ron's pairs teammate and a great flyer.
David Smith
Shawn Tinkham, a all around great guy and kite flyer.
Randy G, this guy has done so much to help people learn to fly tricks he deserves some kind of kite award.
Fireball-Rob A.
Alex Mason
John Welden, one of, if not the smoothest flyer I've ever seen
John Barresi
Tim Benson
All the French guys like Debray.

Older Guard Quads:
John Barresi
Shawn Tinkham
Dennis Smith

Young Guns:
Will Sturdy
Several that post videos on this forum.

Keith

Kites & Corvettes, both, a great way to fly.
RonG
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2011, 06:58 PM »

I've seen a lot of great fliers.  I've seen fliers who trick well, fliers who compete well, fliers who are smooth, fliers who are technical. 

In my book, the 2 that stand head and shoulders above the rest are Richard Debray and Mathieu Mayet.  They're the whole package, rarely make mistakes, and that is what impresses me more than being good in any one area of flying.  The 2 opportunities I had to compete against those guys inspired me to kick my own level of flying up by leaps and bounds, far more than anything in years of flying both before and after.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 09:39 AM by RonG » Logged
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2011, 10:52 PM »

Young, but he's been flying longer than a lot of us. He won Experienced Ballet at the Berkeley Festival in 2002. He was 10! Little brat beat me by 1 point.  Cheesy

But my point is, the folks that get really good at this (like any other sport) spend ridiculous amounts of time over years and years. It helps to have innate ability, like Alex.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Craig

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 08:04 AM »

and to do it on one leg is even more inspiring  Wink
c2thew
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2011, 03:33 PM »

someone should create a google spreadsheet document so that anyone can just add to the list of young and old kiters alike!  Personally, I need alot more experience to be even considered on the list.  =(  I fly almost once a month these days.

Crandall
Weekend hobbyist
 (wish list) rev b series, white pyro delta the 20 foot model?

http://tinyurl.com/KiteParty5
http://tinyurl.com/KiteP6
http://tinyurl.com/KiteParty7
http://tinyurl.com/KiteParty9
KiteParty10 (coming soon)

My Kite Bag: http://tinyurl.com/795dn9g
WinterDaze

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2011, 06:07 PM »

I'm thinking there's a few regions that haven't piped up yet Undecided Asia? Sth America?  And Europe must have a few extra names that we could add to the list...

If VF was a thing that mattered in world rankings* then any pilot constantly in the top 5 could be considered pretty up there I'd guess. Or am I wrong? You guys who see the big names fly in Europe and the States are going to be in a far better position to know what sort of skills that are being put down out there.

Oh and what about some links folks Wink

You know the saying... 'if there's no video it never happened'. Undecided

*I know, I know.. no relevance, 'can of worms' sort of thing

WinterDaze AoF
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2011, 07:00 PM »

Top fliers that I've seen:

John Barresi, probably the best Rev flier anywhere. Plus he is not too bad on duel lines.

Egan Davis. A few years ago, won Tricks Party at St. Augustine with a Masque. His original plan was to make a kite for the competition. One of the final mods, ruined the kite. At the last minute, he picked up a Masque. I believe he flew it for the first time, down in Florida, right before Tricks Party.   

Adrian Flanagan. The best flier, that nobody knows. In a few years, he went from beginner to probably the best flier in the Northwest. He is in the video with Lam doing the synchronized Comets.

Lam Hoac. Say what you will about him, but I've never seen anybody work harder to continually improve his flying skills and his kite designs.

Young Guns:

Tristan Underwood, the best young gun in the Northwest. He is already a very good flier, if he continues to develop, he will be a premier flier. 

Jennifer Brown, she was out flying a lot of adults, when she was only twelve.

Fliers in videos:

The Gordon brothers, it seems like all they do is show up at Nationals and win. They rarely post, but its odd they don't generate more buzz. Rumor has it, that their sister is pretty good.

It's fun to hear the top fliers from the Northwest share stories about their time in Europe and touring around the world with Red Bull, getting to fly with the likes of Debray and Mayat. The flier that impresses them the most is Chris Goff.

Jay

Elizabeth is good, I fly pairs with her in competition.  Smiley
Zach and Josh don't have an account on here, is why they don't post.

Personally I'm surprised nobody's said Mark Reed. I really like his flying... and his ability to get around on any kind of kite. That signals a good flyer to me more than anything.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Ace

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2011, 07:44 PM »

+1 for Adrian Bickerstaffe.

There is a lot said about a pilot who can perform ''EVERY'' trick in the (modern) Wink book. Do it first time, every time, on demand and in any conditions. Not only that, but rip out some mean combo's at any time.

I spose when you reach the level where the likes of Benson ask for your advice your pretty much on top of the game.. Cool

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
lylenc

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2011, 09:04 PM »

In my book, the one with the most Zen at the moment is the top gun.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
WinterDaze

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2011, 06:51 AM »

So should we start looking at the data then folks?

Or... are there some other names out there, I've been surprised at a few of the names that are absent so far.... Lips sealed
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 07:15 AM by WinterDaze » Logged

WinterDaze AoF
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change