GWTW Forum
November 23, 2014, 03:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who are the 'Top Guns' and the 'Young Guns'?  (Read 5817 times)
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2011, 10:10 AM »

Maybe set out different criteria which folks can apply to their local fliers to see if they qualify.

1.  Must be able to at least make a good run at the full monty jacob's ladder thing, combining yo-yo lazies and full backspins into a jacob's ladder of full tricks instead of half tricks.  You must have achieved this on at least three occasions while alternating the direction of the rotations.

2.  Must be able to yo-cynique.

3.  Must be able to cascade taz machines, cometes, and wap-do-waps.

I think Kareloh has done all of the above.  So I nominate Kareloh...from the Netherlands.  (Bram, if you are reading this...you are a rock star, not a kiter.)

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2011, 02:06 AM »

What separates great fliers from good fliers, is high wind 20mph or greater.
The great fliers really know the trick and have the hand and foot speed to pull it off.

Chris Goff has a video, where he tricking in winds over 30mph.

R-Sky has a video of Richard Debray and others tricking in high winds.

Fliers I've seen:

John Barresi, He flies in all conditions. Side slides a few feet off the ground, in 15mph winds, or one handed 360s in 3 to 4mph winds.

Lam Hoac, with his last three series of kites, can do quite a few tricks in high winds. I didn't know it was even possible to do roll ups in 20mph plus winds.

I get caught up in who is the best of the best discussions, but the fliers, that I value the most have been the local ones, who took the time to answer my questions, repeatedly demonstrate a trick, or critiqued my flying.     

Jay
coogee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2011, 04:09 AM »

The only person I get to actually see flying is my mate Will but having watched video of other flyers I realise that there are some truly awesome kiters. So the flyers I have been impressed with are, Adrian Bickerstaffe great flyer with a sense of style, Lars Fakkedij power and panache way cool, Richard Debray is very very good and Piero Serra is outstanding.

Sport kite flyers are pretty thin on the ground in Australia and as I have said the people I like I have only seen in video but I'm sure that there are plenty more that anybody could add to the list.
     Mike
WinterDaze

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2011, 09:29 AM »

A few names with multiples, a (as it should be, VF) challenge, and some very fair assessments + the necessary 'it's not about who but how'. so are we all done?

Is this a fair assessment of who's on top at the moment?   Undecided   

WinterDaze AoF
ghfisanotti

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2011, 07:36 PM »

I'd like to add Martin Madsen to this list, never seen him fly in person, but he has performed very well in VF and his instructional videos are the best I've seen.
Ace

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2011, 11:34 PM »

I think we should take the next step in the VF competition world.

That is to encourage these top guns into competing. The establishment of official ranking points would be a start. Something that would rank the performances of each contender. Much like the ATP or pro golf tour. The points would be accumulated over a year or whatever.

Maybe even prize money, derived from entry fees or sponsorship. Nominated judges to rate the videos etc etc.

Of course this may detract from the original concept and fun-ness of VF but at least it will add some credibility to our often overlooked and underrated passion.

Imagine Benson V Debray V Mayet V Hoac V Fakkeldij v Goff and so on and so on................ Cool

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
obijuankenobe

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2011, 01:37 AM »

In an ideal world, Ace, that would happen.  But it won't be VF.

What you want it is a video submission TP...a sort of cyber world cup.  That's a good idea, but not a new one.  Judges...that's only one of many issues.

And I have to say, although I didn't mention him at the onset, Lars F. is a king amongst men in the Netherlands.  That guy can do all the tricks on most or all the kites available.  When he was flying more regularly, he just walked from kite to kite...working them each to the edge of what they could do.  And...this guy flew a Gem against Matt and Richard in high winds in his debut competition...and hung with them!  He is one of the few that can actually make a Gem appear to have some precision in it!

obi
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 06:14 AM by obijuankenobe » Logged

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
kalle

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2011, 12:32 PM »

The great fliers really know the trick and have the hand and foot speed to pull it off.

Where can I find this video?
Ace

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2011, 03:23 PM »

Heck I would even be happy for the just establishment of Ranking Points. At least thats a start Smiley

There is of-course the issue of registering a governing body that would oversee all the regulations etc. Can't imagine it would take anymore time or effort than say ....... running a forum  Wink Wink Wink

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2011, 03:37 PM »

Here

Jay
jaydub

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2011, 04:17 PM »

For the top European fliers, the Stella Plage Trick Competition line up (on 11th June) looks fairly tasty:

1 Schinowski Johannes GER
2 Stahl Christian GER
3 Rüger David GER
4 De Rond Carlo NL
5 Axmann Thorsten GER
6 Nick Daniel GER
7 Lahyani Julien FR
8 Bouquet Maxime FR
9 Treder Sascha GER
10 Beasley Bryan GB
11 Placete Denis FR
12 Matuszczak Pascal FR
13 Chatelain Philippe FR
14 Briban Stephane FR
15 Dupire Laurent FR
16 Lindemann Jürgen GER
17 Leroy Benjamin FR
18 Debray Richard FR
19 Fontaine Damien FR
20 Benmeriem Cherief FR
21 Pourcelet Gaetan FR
22 Gauteux Adrien FR
23 Simax Theo FR
24 Goff Chris GB
25 Bouillot Marc FR
26 Bouillot Ludivine FR
27 Bouillot Julie FR

Anybody finishing in the Top 6, or maybe even 8, is going to deserve a 'Top Gun' mention, even if there are a few notable exceptions.
kalle

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2011, 10:32 AM »

Here

Jay

Too bad, the mirrors are down. Would you mind to re-upload it? Would be nice!
WinterDaze

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2011, 06:39 PM »

For the top European fliers, the Stella Plage Trick Competition line up (on 11th June) looks fairly tasty:

Anybody finishing in the Top 6, or maybe even 8, is going to deserve a 'Top Gun' mention, even if there are a few notable exceptions.

I suspect and hope we will be finding a few different 'fronts' for which we will find these 'Top Guns'. I think* your suggestion is one of the sources we could definitely be looking at.

The idea of ranking points sounds good as well, I can only guess that that's going to be a can of worms to structure though. Unless that is, we can find some way to umbrella in some way the whole sport/discipline with a 'body', and that is a something that may then attempt to quantify/qualify(yeah yeah I know....  Cheesy Cry Cheesy Cry Cheesy) this sport, and from what I've witnessed that seems to be very difficult to do....  Lips sealed

Some of the participants in this discipline aren't fans of 'pigeon holing' apparently   Grin

Impossible? No... Difficult? Ummm, maybe a little....  Roll Eyes
 Cool

*(FWIW... Remember I'm just the PITA that brought it up)

WinterDaze AoF
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2011, 11:59 PM »

N00bs....

Back when I was STACK NHJ Finland I suggested a ranking list for our competitions and it was put into effect. It kept going whilst I was SIEC Chairman until the server it was held on threw a wobbly and the pain of getting the data back far exceeded its worth. I don't think it was a huge success.

Now don't get me wrong, I love messing about with data and turning it into information but I see many and enormous problems with this at the present time. Primarily the data set is tiny and likely to be subject to huge variations based on single events. This is bad. Secondly there's very little crossover in the data - how are you going to compare the European and US fliers ? This should be enough.

Why not stick to the qualitative approach rather than trying to nail this highly subjective area to something quantitative ?

There's a whole bunch of fliers out there that I would put my lines down to watch. Most have been named already.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
obijuankenobe

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2011, 01:21 AM »

There's a whole bunch of fliers out there that I would put my lines down to watch.

Mike.

This is a great summary of who should be on this list we are making. 

obi 

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum