GWTW Forum
December 18, 2014, 12:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to Revolution Quad Kites and looking for a recommendation  (Read 4523 times)
Kinetic
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: May 02, 2011, 05:26 PM »

Hi,

I have a few 2 line kites and am ready to make the next step into Quad Line Revolutions.  I'm looking for some recommendations on which Revolution to purchase for a beginner and also a recommendation on line length and strength.  From reading the other thread, I think the 1.5 or B-series would be best as I don't want to have to wish I had purchased a better kite to begin with if I buy the EXP and get bored with it?

I live in Chino, CA and the winds are usually between 5-15mph.  But would also like to take the kite to the beach and to San Diego.  I'm also looking for a recommendation on standard, mid-vent or vented.

Is there anyone on here local to me that flies Revolutions?

Most importantly, any recommondations on where to purchase one (new or even used) would be great too!  I don't think there is a local kite shop within at least an hour of here.

BTW, I've read through the other posters thread close to mine, but didn't want to take anything away from his thread so decided to create my own.

Lastly, which Revkite is the one in this video?  Is it still made?  I kinda like the coloring on it.

HD Video: Stunt Kite, a Kite that you can control and maneuver completely

Thanks!

-Chris
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 05:45 PM by Kinetic » Logged
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 07:52 PM »

Well right there on that pier in the video you'll find The Kite Connection, a fine shop and Dave specializes in Rev's and can surely steer you in the right direction. Also one of our forum sponsors there on the right 'A Wind of Change' can also get you setup. Both Dave and Kent can tell you if those colors and sail design are currently available and both are top notch guys to deal with.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 07:56 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Jynx
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 08:09 PM »

Well right there on that pier in the video you'll find The Kite Connection, a fine shop and Dave specializes in Rev's and can surely steer you in the right direction. Also one of our forum sponsors there on the right 'A Wind of Change' can also get you setup. Both Dave and Kent can tell you if those colors and sail design are currently available and both are top notch guys to deal with.

Check out the "Night" kite from A Wind of Change (though their site photo doesn't do it justice) I have that model and the colors are striking! (Highly recommended).

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky."
Jimi Hendrix
Jeepster

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 09:18 PM »

midenchico gave you good advice.  Both Dave and Kent are excellent Rev fliers and excellent folks to deal with.  If I'm not mistaken, that's Dave flying the Rev in the video.  So yep, it'd be worth the trip to see him.

Cheers and welcome to the Dark Side,
Tom
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 04:19 AM »

I had the same question a few years and posted to the revkites forum. The thread got pinned and is helpful in deciding which one to get. I decided on a mid vent B Series. You'll want more if you get an EXP. The B series has great precision and the mid vent will give you greater range in the upper and lower end. I got mine with Race rods for the little extra advantage on the low end.

Bob D.
Jim Foster

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 07:56 AM »

What Jeepster said is good advice.

The kite in the video is a 1.5 SLE, most likely Dave flying.

Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 11:22 AM »

Yup, the kite in the video is a 1.5 SLE model.  The year would have been around 2007 or earlier as it has the mylar panels in the sail.  Rev no longer puts the Mylar panels in the 1.5's and the sails are 100% nylon now.

The colors are very close to the same colors as we use in our B-Series Night! kite.  Jinx is right, the kite is really striking when you get it outdoors and in the air! Smiley

Texanpilot
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 07:20 PM »

If you're inclined and feel like making the drive, come on down to Hemet on a weekend, and if I'm available, I can give you some basic Rev lessons.  I have a 1.5, a 2 and a Power Blast 2-4, so you'll be reasonably well covered.

As to kite selection, if you get an EXP, it will take years to get bored of it, PROVIDED you don't think about a B-series too much.  I'm still flying my 1.5 that I bought about 8 or 9 years ago.  Would I like to get a B-series? Sure, if I had the disposable income.  But since I don't I'll keep working on the 1.5 and keep enjoying it. 

Steady winds, y'all.
hedgewarden

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 05:07 PM »

Regarding the line strength - 90 lb is very standard.  In higher winds, if you fly with more venting, the pull is not significantly more.  In low winds, the 90 lb is not too heavy.

50 lb can also be used in lighter winds, but it is not necessary.  Consider that a later option.  150 lb is sometimes used when the winds are roaring - rather when the kite is pulling you across the ground.  Consider 150 lb as your second set if you frequently find the kite pulling very hard in your flying situations.

80' to 100' is the most frequent length people start with.  But 120' is used for group flying, and will be useful to you in more situations.  Get the 120' lines from one of the retailers that specialize in selling lines for group flying - such as the Kite Shoppe, the Kite Connection, or A Wind of Change - the length should match very closely.  If you fly in cramped quarters, 50' is a useful length.

Get the best lines - Laser Pro Gold is the standard for Rev kites.  Shanti Speed line is also very good, but the Laser Pro Gold is a little stiffer and easier to use with Rev kites. (IMO)  [I choose Shanti for dual line kites, and Laser Pro for quads]  Dyneema line will probably not be satisfactory in the long term, due to the greater stretch and thus dulled responsiveness to commands.

And if any of this information conflicts with recommendations by Dave or Kent or Teresa - FGS listen to them!

- Howard

No, this is my FIRST childhood.
Revgod

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 10:00 PM »

Hey Chris,
That is GREAT footage! That is me flying the kite that I show the kids in my school assembly. That particular kite has the 3 wrap and was on 90lb. line. There is one point where if you look closely enough, you'll see there is about a 4" section of the mesh right in the middle where it is separated from the fabric. Still flies ok though. I would REALLY like to talk to you about that footage, so PLEASE call me. If you have not bought one yet, I'll make you an offer you can't refuse, this I promise you!
Dave
TKC
FYI, even if you bought one already somewhere else, call me anyway, I'll give you lessons right there on the beach.

Steve's CTR
Revgod

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 10:03 PM »

Hi,

Most importantly, any recommondations on where to purchase one (new or even used) would be great too!  I don't think there is a local kite shop within at least an hour of here.

The fact that you were standing next to a kite shop and didn't know it makes me think that I am REALLY failing somewhere! Time to put that two way radio on the rail and talk to folks as I'm flying huh?
Dave

Steve's CTR
rncembal
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 10:05 AM »

You could spring for a custom sail with Logo. OR as a top vendor I think they be happy to give you one .

forward  to ben and lolly

Remember before buying on Amazon use this link to help Steve!
http://tinyurl.com/kkid20
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum