GWTW Forum
April 25, 2014, 01:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zen?  (Read 2349 times)
kiteflyer82
Trade Count: (+18)

« on: May 05, 2011, 06:04 AM »

Haven't seen much talk about the Zen, does anyone have any positive or negative feedback?
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 06:18 AM »

Typing:

zen site:revkites.com

Into the Google search box will get you quite a few hits on the Rev forum.

ATB,
Sam
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 10:55 AM »

Yup, lots of chatter about the Zen on the Rev Forums and others.  It is a really amazing kite.  For SUL conditions, there is no better Rev (IMO).  It flies slightly different than other Rev's in that you need to load up the sail for it to work but once you get the sail loaded up, it will fly pretty much effortless.  All the standard quad line tricks are there and it is very smooth and graceful.  Really fun kite, especially if you are stuck with winds below 5mph.  My usable wind range is .5mph to around 5-6 mph.

The Zen is larger than the 1.5 series and is very close in size to the Rev 1.  It also comes with special Zen rods that are not only super light and strong, but also very cool looking. Smiley  You can order the Zen in 5 standard production color patterns or you can get custom and create your own.  Custom designs usually take 4-6 weeks to complete.  Listed price includes the kite, sleeve and frameset.  Lines & handles are not included.

Hope that helps.  If you need any other info, let me know.

kiteflyer82

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 12:19 PM »

Thanks, sounds like I am buying one soon, and if I'm lucky a used one!!!
bearish
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 02:13 AM »

Don't aspect to fly like a 1.5 and don't aspect to fly in 1/2 knots of wind and having fun (with those winds I sit at the bar having a cappuccino Smiley), for my personal experience there is a window of wind, where you can enjoy it, because it's the only thing can fly it's the Zen, which is probably around 3/4 knots, after that wind speed, I already going for a standard bseries with race rods.
So I suggest you to try it before, so you can decide if you can enjoy it.
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 08:26 AM »

From my dual SUL experience, there's a point where zero wind is zero wind and it's just an exercise in frustration. If the leaves are turning at the tops of the trees but there's nothing going at ground level, you must might as well give it up.

I like my mid vent B Series with race rods because it goes pretty low. At the point where it will still fly in lower wind, if I toss a coin, I'll be taking out a dual.

Bob D.
kiteflyer82

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 10:24 AM »

Down at the beach with a light breeze, palm trees not even moving. Got the Zen out with 25 foot lines and it flew amazing. I was even able to teach my son to launch and land within an hour. Pictures to come soon.
REVflyer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 08:50 AM »

I just tried my Zen out with a different bridle set-up,... Will Sturdy did the conversion of the 1.5 French Bridle to this new size format.  It expands the wind range (together with the addition of magix sticks) such that the frame is reinforced on the back and the air-pressure stress is spread over a greater surface area thru more legs on the bridle.  These changes didn't alter the low wind range just made it feel better as the breeze picked up.

Do you need one?  That depends on the size of your pocket-book and the local conditions you encounter most regularly.  It makes a fine addition to my kite bag.  All that mass means it's mighty sweet in 3-D movements too!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography