GWTW Forum
August 01, 2014, 05:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seeking advice on miniature indoor single line kite design.  (Read 1086 times)
John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 07, 2011, 11:25 AM »

I've been thinking about making some miniature indoor single line kites to give as Christmas presents this year.  About 10 years ago a friend of mine bought a "cocktail Napkin kite" at an auction and I was blown away at how well it flew. It seemed like magic to see it fly so slowly. You didn't need to drag it through the air, only a light tug was all it took to make it fly.

I'd like to make some sort of box kite instead of a diamond.  The thing is, I won't be happy unless I can get that magical slow flight characteristic of the cocktail napkin kite. I figure if I can build it light weight enough, it could be done? 

Looking for advice on:
Which style of kite would be best other than a "flat" rok, diamond etc.  I'd love something 3/d but not just a tube.

Size to shoot for? Maybe 2.5" wide?
-------
I know there's a lot of internet info out there about this sort of thing; I'm just asking here because it won't hurt to hear what you kite gurus have to say.  Smiley

My ultimate goal is for very slow flight.  I want people to have zero doubt that it's a kite that's flying and not a piece of paper being drug through the air. 
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 12:52 PM »

If you seek out Glenn Davidson's miniature kite website he is full of great mini kite info!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 03:32 PM »

i believe layangman knows a thing or two about micro kites. might send him a pm here on the forum.

Micro Owl Kite - Indoor Flight.wmv

i was blown away by the flight of this kite first time i saw it.

0.06 gram mini Rhombus kite indoor fling test .
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 03:33 PM by fidelio » Logged

Fdeli
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 08:12 PM »

Can't really help with a design but I do hope you'll post us up some pics when you can, I've enjoyed seeing your craftsmanship in the past.

I would cross post this over to the Kite Builder . com forum, dpb over there does some fantastic minatures although the ones I've seen are flat but very unique shapes with hand drawn celtic knot designs. Check out some of his threads for some inspiration, these were his latest creations. Also Tom Tinney who has not been active on any of the forums lately but he popped up on Facebook a couple months ago so he's back online. You'll find him at littlekites(dot)com.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 10:17 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
dadecitykiter
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 08:02 AM »

Hey John,

A few years back I made up a cody varriant for a club workshop.
Send me an e-mail and I will reply with a full size template.

I might still have a kit or two left from the workshop.
If I can find one I would be happy to mail it to you.

You can find some photos here.
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563958015qzVubs?start=12

Gary
kiteslinger
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 08:42 AM »

here's some interesting minny's

http://www.kitebuilder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9780&highlight=miniature

Dang! Embarrassed Mike beat me to it
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 08:46 AM by kiteslinger » Logged
John Welden

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 08:51 AM »

Thank you guys for the information; I'll let you know what I end up making.

kiters are the best!

JW

PS Gary, email sent.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document