GWTW Forum
September 21, 2014, 09:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prism Quantum Pro Yo-yo stoppers  (Read 2307 times)
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« on: May 05, 2011, 06:20 AM »

Hi all,

For the Yo-Yo fitting installation on a Prism Quantum Pro, I have :

- 2 yo-yo fittings (APA) with zip ties

- 10 (2 x 5) zip ties for "safety stoppers".

On the picture of the Prism owner's manual below, I see that the end of the zip ties (part to be cut) is inside the sail for the 5 safety stoppers but outside for the yo-yo APA fitting.

Is that right ?

I thought that inside of the sail for the APA Yo-Yo, would work better than outside and without damaging the lines.

Do you have perhaps a picture showing the right way to install the Yo-yo ?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 06:42 AM by Tataouine » Logged
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 06:43 AM »

- 2 yo-yo fittings (APA) with zip ties
Weren't these fittings supposed to be made from a different material too ?

On the picture of the Prism owner's manual below, I see that the end of the zip ties (part to be cut) is inside the sail for the 5 safety stoppers but outside for the yo-yo APA fitting.
To be honest I never bothered with the extra zip ties on my QPro. The one that I accidentally and temporarily acquired did have them but I've tried hard to blank out that whole, sorry experience. I can see from an old picture that I dutifully followed the instructions and left the lock of the cable tie on the outside of the APA but.... I think on other kites I've made sure to put it on the inside.

If I was going to fit them I suppose that I'd follow the instructions based on whatever but is it that much of a chore to fit new ones if it turns out to be wrong ? Furthermore I don't recall ever regretting their absence.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 12:34 PM »

I don't know about the additional zip ties, but the ones holding on the yo yo stoppers can go either way... The downside to putting the towards the inside of the sail is that they rub the sail more when in storage... I've always opted for the outside, which does increase wear on the bridle... I'd rather repair/replace a bridle than path a sail. It may be silly logic. One thing I do for sure is make certain there are no sharp edges when I cut the zip-ties.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 09:33 PM »

When using APA and zip-ties as Yo-Yo stoppers, it works out best if the pressure from the lines works to press them together rather than pull them apart, so; set them with the gap facing forward. The same goes for zip-ties alone. Put them on so that they close on the front of the leading edges.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 12:11 AM by JimB » Logged
zippy8
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 10:42 PM »

a) how tight are your lines ?
b) how loose are your tie wraps ?

Wink

When I get home I'll take a look at my Element to see how they're done (if no-one beats me to the punch) as they come pre-installed. I'm still not really seeing the significance of all this though.

Mike.

tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 11:41 PM »

My experience matches Jims.  Putting the nub on the inside, I have never had one fail - even to the point of the lines severely cutting into the stopper at about half way over time.

With the nub on the outside (the back of the kite), I've had the stopper ripped off in the first 15 minutes of flying.  I think that when it's on the outside, the connection point experiences more stress leading to failure.

6 kite tom
GWTWNewb
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 11:49 PM »

The above points are true, but there is a downside to having the nub on the inside - if you backspin and backspin cascade a lot, it will accelerate the wear on your bridle significantly.

What's the lesson to take away from all this?  Zip tied APA fittings really suck as an implementation of yoyo stoppers!  Cheesy
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 12:21 AM »

Looking at your picture again, one other thing came to mind. When using an APA, thread the zip-tie in the same manner as you would for a zip-tie alone, ie; with the gap facing forward, so that the forces acting on the zip-tie act to press it closed as opposed to pulling it open but; make sure the lock block on the zip-tie ends up on the back of the APA
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 01:50 AM »

Had to dig this one up and load it to the Picasa account. Not that's it's correct, it's just the way I put them on. Haven't ever had a problem. The kite is actually in my A bag presently and has been seeing a fair amount of use.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 12:30 PM »

Many thanks for the picture John.

I cannot see very well but did you install the stoppers exactly as said by Prism in the assembly instructions (I think so but I'm not 100 % sure) ?

Thanks in advance.  Wink
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 05:03 PM »

Yes, probably by accident.

After you clip the tabs off, file them smooth or they will cut string/hands/kite.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
zippy8
Board Moderator

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 11:27 PM »

As good as my word...

Tie wrap is threaded through the LE from front to back. And yes, leaving any sharp sticky-out points may be an unwise move. And furthermore yes, an all tie wrap stopper train does look rubbish, even if it works.

Mike.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 11:29 PM by zippy8 » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document