GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 01:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Notes on sport kites great read 170 pages!! (found on the internet)  (Read 3160 times)
c2thew
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: May 06, 2011, 11:08 AM »

http://www.seek2know.org.uk/kites/PJKites/Kites%20notes.pdf

I'm not sure who put it together, but they did a REALLY good job
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 11:13 AM by c2thew » Logged

Crandall
Weekend hobbyist
 (wish list) rev b series, white pyro delta the 20 foot model?

http://tinyurl.com/KiteParty5
http://tinyurl.com/KiteP6
http://tinyurl.com/KiteParty7
http://tinyurl.com/KiteParty9
KiteParty10 (coming soon)

My Kite Bag: http://tinyurl.com/795dn9g
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 11:19 AM »

"UK trick master" Peter Massey...member of the Kent Kite Flyers it looks like.

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Magpiesfooty
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 08:18 PM »

The book is a nice attempt to get more modern information to todays flyers, however I find it to be a bit one sided.  I have flown in several competitions and have competed with modern trick flyers, and have done well by just flying a standard routine that uses basic shapes, crisp turns and track like control. Tricks are nice, but they are not everything. True control of a kite at the end of your lines, can be impressive to any spectator.
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 08:27 PM »

I'm not sure who put it together, but they did a REALLY good job

Read all about it.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 05:21 AM »

The book is a nice attempt to get more modern information to todays flyers, however I find it to be a bit one sided.  I have flown in several competitions and have competed with modern trick flyers, and have done well by just flying a standard routine that uses basic shapes, crisp turns and track like control. Tricks are nice, but they are not everything. True control of a kite at the end of your lines, can be impressive to any spectator.

Yeah, but flying in control with snappy turns and rail lines is easy if that is a skill you care about (which ALOT of folks around here don't). 

You don't need alot of text to describe how this is done.  Push, push, pull.  You need alot of practice to make it happen is all.

Tricks, on the other hand....

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
Magpiesfooty
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 04:16 PM »

... are nice but they are not everything.  Hmmm.... thought I stated that already.  Was the book written for ALOT of folks around here? Or to those interested in kites and flying them?  Just saying.
DGomberg

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 04:48 PM »

"Yet the only book that covers this subject, (as opposed to the much more commercial power kiting) was written in 1992, and last published in 1997." (“Stunt Kites to make and fly”.)

Hmmm. Should we tell him about the Ron Reich or Al Harguss books? Stunt Kites! and Sport Kite Magic are two others that come to mind....
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 05:48 AM by DGomberg » Logged
Magpiesfooty
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 05:06 PM »

Thanks Dave for your comments.  The only issue that I had with the book posting, and it is VERY small, is that if you are going to write a book about a subject, unless you narrow it down to that one topic, you need to speak about more about the entire subject or just title the book about the topic.  It is a good read, thorough review of the subject may have been better.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 10:32 PM »

Or for that matter, the Two books that you wrote on Stunt kites David. Wink

Stunt Kites!: A Complete Flight Manual of Maneuverable Kites

Sport Kite Magic!

Oh, you were being funny. Smiley

I didn't notice that you had referenced them in your post.

"Yet the only book that covers this subject, (as opposed to the much more commercial power kiting) was written in 1992, and last published in 1997." (“Stunt Kites to make and fly”.)

Hmmm. Should we tell him about the Ron Reich or Al Harguss books? Stunt Kites!And Sport Kite magic are two others that come to mind....
DGomberg

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 05:55 AM »

Stunt Kites! was released in the late 80's and sold close to 100,000 copies in five years. It was self published and updated annually. Marketed direct to kite stores. What a time that was.... Wink

Thought about putting both books online but they are a bit dated now.

This new piece is interesting and valuable. Just found his comments about about other authors to be a little odd.

dg

inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 08:27 AM »

Thought about putting both books online but they are a bit dated now.

Please, do put them on line.

While they might not be full of sexy new tricks, Sport Kite Magic had something I've not found in other books - it doesn't just describe figures, it gives tips on how to fly them well. I found it *very* helpful when I had brief dabble at winter leagues years ago.
If someone wants to fly good precision that sort of info is still relevant and useful even if the figures have changed.

Flying Fish

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 08:59 AM »

+1 wrt putting these books online!

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 09:19 AM »

I did a quick search...you should be able to find both of David's books quite affordably online right now....i think 2$ was the going price on one of them......

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 10:27 AM »

Yes, both David's books and Ron Reich's book have a great deal of useful info on how to fly a kite with precision from a time when flying a kite with precision was the name of the game.

I know I've read Al's book. I may even have a copy somewhere, but it doesn't seem to have stuck with me as well as the other Two for some reason, not that it doesn't have good info. I just don't remember it as well as the other Three.

Please, do put them on line.

While they might not be full of sexy new tricks, Sport Kite Magic had something I've not found in other books - it doesn't just describe figures, it gives tips on how to fly them well. I found it *very* helpful when I had brief dabble at winter leagues years ago.
If someone wants to fly good precision that sort of info is still relevant and useful even if the figures have changed.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 12:57 AM by JimB » Logged
DGomberg

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 11:23 PM »

OK -- I did a quick PDF format and listed chapters separately. Let me know what you think.

http://www.gombergkites.com/howSKM.html

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change