GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 03:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Notes on sport kites great read 170 pages!! (found on the internet)  (Read 3092 times)
DecSkybirds
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 11:29 PM »

Just checked it out, working well.  Very much appreciated!

Riders Of Heaven -Shiva STD, Shiva Comp UL, Shiva Full Vent, HQ X-Bow, Prism Quantum, Skyburner Wahoo UL
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 12:08 AM »

I think it's great, and great that you've shared it. Some of the pictures, well the cover picture, didn't come out great but the inside diagrams and all did, that's the part we'll all be concentrating on. I wouldn't say the book is out of date, just not up to date, but anybody new to the sport should be starting here anyway and there's probably not a flyer among us who won't come away without having learned something.

I would prefer the full book in one download for offline reading, I promise I'll make a visit your site whenever I read it  Wink  in fact I think I'll go take a look around now, it's been a month or so since I last stopped by.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 12:33 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 01:18 AM »

Thanks for that, David!

inewham
Board Moderator

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 02:34 AM »

Thanks David, that's great Cool

I'm sure lots of people will find it useful

damp_weather

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 03:15 AM »

"UK trick master" Peter Massey...member of the Kent Kite Flyers it looks like.

"Trick master" - in my dreams! - No just someone who is still trying to learn tricks (and didn't get on with learning from videos) - Learn a bit more each year.   Despite the location of our home (i.e. near Kent), my partner and I are members of the White Horse Kite fliers.  You can read a bit on how we started at  http://www.whkf.org.uk/earlymags/A08.pdf . (pages 4-5).

The book is a nice attempt to get more modern information to todays flyers, however I find it to be a bit one sided.  I have flown in several competitions and have competed with modern trick flyers, and have done well by just flying a standard routine that uses basic shapes, crisp turns and track like control. Tricks are nice, but they are not everything. True control of a kite at the end of your lines, can be impressive to any spectator.

Agreed.  In the UK there are STACK boot camps and also better flying days, which concentrate on precision and ballet, offer excellent tuition, and were very informative and helpful in getting us flying.  So I didn't feel I had to say so much on that aspect.

"Yet the only book that covers this subject, (as opposed to the much more commercial power kiting) was written in 1992, and last published in 1997." (“Stunt Kites to make and fly”.)

- A strong statement to make, and when I wrote it I thought I might be making myself a hostage to fortune.  But on the other hand we had been searching the kite festival stalls, kite shops and the internet for over two years by then, and despite attending a boot camp and a better flying day, no-one had mentioned any other available books.

Hmmm. Should we tell him about the Ron Reich or Al Harguss books? Stunt Kites! and Sport Kite Magic are two others that come to mind....

Oh yes please!  Thanks for telling me, and much more importantly making "Sport Kite Magic" available on the internet.  I read it last week and found it excellent coverage of ballet and precision. - Over the coming months will try following the instructions for the figures.
Will keep a lookout for the Reich and Harguss books.  And if I ever to post another edition, these will be some of the many corrections and updates.

...A small point - despite the thread title, the posted "Kite Notes" is only 124 pages?? 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 05:15 AM by damp_weather » Logged
inewham
Board Moderator

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 11:17 AM »

Will keep a lookout for the Reich and Harguss books

If you PM me an address I'll send you Ron Reich's book.  Smiley

Magpiesfooty
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 12:19 PM »

Thanks to all for the great reading recommendations.  I now have the two books by Mr. Gomberg and the book by Ron Reich, I highly recommend all three. Even if you are an old timer or have been flying for a while, I guarantee that you will learn several things from each of these books.   Reading is a wonderful thing to do when it is stormy outside or if it gets too hot, like it is quickly becoming.   
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document