GWTW Forum
October 31, 2014, 01:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good First Trick Kite  (Read 2554 times)
DB
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 08, 2011, 04:54 PM »

I'm a new flier who owns a Prism Quantum and Prism Nexus. As I said in another thread, I am not too impressed with the Quantum, slow and too much pull. The Nexus seems to be completely the opposite, too small and fast. Or maybe it's just the flier's fault.

My question is: what is the best kite for a newbie wanting to learn some tricks? I don't mind spending some money on a good kite that I can use for a long time, as long as it's good.
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 07:09 PM »

The Quantum is pretty much an ideal kite to learn basic tricks on. Partly because it is a fairly slow kite for it's size. I'd learn the following on it before moving up because it's so durable and stable.

Stall - anything smaller or lighter is just plain hard to hold in a stall
Axel - Very easy on this kite.
Lazy Susan - Also very easy. I'm not talking about all the variations, just getting the kite onto it's back an spun around.
Pancake/Fade/flickflac - A pretty stable fade and this is a critical sequence that involves lots of lawn darts and other mishaps while learning.

These are the building blocks for practically all the advanced tricks and the Quantum does them great.

Allen, AKA kitehead
DecSkybirds
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 08:41 PM »

+1  Squeeze some out of it before you start collecting and breaking kites like i did Smiley

Riders Of Heaven -Shiva STD, Shiva Comp UL, Shiva Full Vent, HQ X-Bow, Prism Quantum, Skyburner Wahoo UL
Hadge

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 03:15 AM »

When you are ready to move up and if you don't want to spend too much money have a long hard look at the Flying Wings Silver Fox range, excellent kites for the money especially the new 2.3 Pro.  Wink

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Bob D

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 04:02 AM »

A 2.3 meter kite is a bigger kite and will slow things down for you so that you can see what you're doing when you're learning a trick. The Flying Wings is a good suggestion.

Another might be the Skyburner Wolf. I've heard good things about it. I have a Widow Maker and the Wolf is a step below it. The Widow Maker has a nice wind range and does a lot of things very easily.

Bob D.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 06:57 AM »

The Wolf is Designed by Jon Trennophol of Skyburner but is produced by Premier Kites, just in case you have trouble locating it. It's a fun and capable kite, James (Dolphinboy) gave a recent review of it here, The Widow by Premier is a less expensive version of the Skyburner Widowmaker using a Nylon sail and Skyshark straight 'P' Series spars rather then the expensive Nitro's and is also a very capable kite in the full size range. If you prefer a quicker lighter pulling kite then a full size the Nighthawk, another Jon Trennophol design made by Premier is another great value and will fly in a bit lower wind range then the Wolf.

The Silver Foxes are a great value to with the advantage of having a full range of Light, Standard & Vent available and the 2 sizes.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 09:44 AM »

I pretty much agree with mike. Take a look at the Premier Widow. It's full size and it will do most tricks without any weird behavior. I think you could learn a lot of tricks on the Wolf too.

The Silver Foxes would work well too. I had one and have flown all the versions but the vented. They are easy to trick and are also rather slow. The extra time can be a big benefit when learning to trick.

If you could find a Eolo Over in the U.S., I would consider one of those. It's a sturdy kite that will do just about any trick. The Over has a bit of a slower pace like the Silver Fox but still tricks snappy. I learned a lot of tricks on the Over.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Bob D

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 09:54 AM »

Thanks, guys! I knew they were Jon T's kites but I got Premier and Skyburner mixed up. The Widow is the one  I was thinking of - it's the less expensive version of the Widow Maker. The Wolf is a cousin, I guess. Jon T designs nice kites.

I also have the Nighthawk but I like the Widow Maker a whole lot better. The Nighthawk is a 3/4 kite and I like full size kites better.

Bob D.
misfitdave

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 06:04 PM »

Hey guys,

i'm dave from Oz and i also have the Prism Q and found tricks hard on the Quantum. then i started moving my feet more and tricks started to open up to me.

i still can't do most of those tricks properly yet but i can now see the potential in the kite with good winds and timing.

the tricks Allen suggested below are great for me to work on as i was unsure of what i should be attempting to do with the kite trick wise.

Stall - anything smaller or lighter is just plain hard to hold in a stall
Axel - Very easy on this kite.
Lazy Susan - Also very easy. I'm not talking about all the variations, just getting the kite onto it's back an spun around.
Pancake/Fade/flickflac - A pretty stable fade and this is a critical sequence that involves lots of lawn darts and other mishaps while learning.

These are the building blocks for practically all the advanced tricks and the Quantum does them great.

That's the best advice i heard so far as a beginner besides the move your feet thing.

looking forward to not being a beginner in the future..

Cheers
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 07:07 PM »

hey dave. great attitude. listening to allen is the way to go. you will outgrow the quantum if you stick with it but for now you have what you need. it is all about muscle memory at this point practice but HAVE FUN  KO

have fun kurt
DB

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 11:52 AM »

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll stick with the Quantum and keep trying. Thanks for the "moving your feet" advice. That is something I'm working on.  Smiley
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 07:45 PM »

When I am teaching others I tell them "I am always moving".  If you want to stand in one place, get a single line.

Unless you have optimum winds you will need to compensate for wind shifts.  You do this by moving.

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 09:00 PM »

I really like my L1 C21 Extreme which may be similar to this one, after i went throught the Quantum/Nexus period just like you...

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=5020.0;topicseen
misfitdave

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 07:02 AM »

hey DB

do the pancake trick.
from the top of the window point kite down and before you lawn dart give it heaps of slack so the kite flares flat and lands on its belly. that will give you a real sense of how much you actually need to move.

'heaps of slack' may mean (depending on wind) throwing your arms forward to skipping or even diving forward!

i worked up a sweat trying to get the pancake, but once i did, i understood the basics of moving and my body opened up to taking control of the kite. stalls become easier for me after learning to pancake. and once you get the pancake landing you can then do a pancake off the ground and turn it into a lazy susan... ohh combination's...

my first trick - the pan cake (insert icon of pride)

give it a go
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change