GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 05:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: flying high with long lines... what sort?  (Read 1868 times)
misfitdave
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 09, 2011, 06:35 PM »

Hello pilots..

(i get a little kick out of referring to kite flyers as Pilots, it's cool. Wink

I am wanting to fly high with a big window like long line precision flying with big swoops and turns, an occasional  axel here or there sort of thing.;.
Am wondering what lines i should be using for line lengths of approx 125feet or more? 
Not so much what brand of line but more the case what pounds to be using in what winds?

for example say, if the winds are a good 10 miles/ 16 km which is a good for a quantum then at 125 feet lines should i use the 90/100 pounds or the 150pounds line. or even greater pound line?

do lines get weaker at longer lengths?

is there simple maths for it? like a conversion table, winds at ... line lengths... pounds....

or is it so more complicated than that?

look forward to your advice.

Dave
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 08:57 PM »

Length won't affect the strength of the line or the proper weight you should use. For your Quantum  90/100 lb should be fine under most conditions, If you fly very often in winds approaching or above 20 mph you might consider switching to 150 lb. But 150 lb line at 120' would hinder the kite in lower winds so I would get the 90 lbs first, you'll get the most use out of them.

I think you'll find the science of it boils down to on a 6' - 8' kite most people fly on 90 lb lines under normal conditions, 150 lb if the 90's start singing and 200-300 lb when they have to fly in ballistic winds in order to add drag and slow the kite.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 10:19 PM »

well if it is a quantum you are flying then 125' of 100# line will give you what your looking for.  WHat you fly on is more dependent on the kite you plan on using and conditions.  For example. My prophecy will fly on 200'x150# lines easily in 10+ where 100# lines would snap but in 6-8 mph 200' of 100# is fine and the 150# is too heavy. 

Me personally I fly on different lengths of 100# line for most conditions and most kites in my bag.  Lengths I Use are 75, 85, 100 or 125 feet largely depending on how much room i have to fly.  In really light winds I'll use 75# in 40-65 foot lengths.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 05:41 AM »

do lines get weaker at longer lengths?

Dave

No.
But longer lines create more drag, which exerts more force on the line.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
the*real*stoney
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 08:41 AM »

I am basically an inland flier but, occasionally, I fly on lines of 200 feet. The lines are almost as old as I am and I have yet to break a line at 200 feet. Most of my lines are 100 to 125 test.
As you probably know already, wind speeds usually increase as you fly higher, and the winds are smoother. I have found that the same rules apply at 200 feet as they do on the ground - that is - the wind pressure diminishes on the edges just like they do on the ground. So, when I feel the pressure increasing, I fly to the edge of the wind until I feel the pressure diminish. What I call the "edge of the wind" is the cone of pressure directly in the center of the wind. You get the highest pressure in the center of the cone directly in front of you.

However, if the wind is light at the ground level, you - logically - have to use a UL or an SUL kite, but the wind speeds increase significantly as you go higher. You should be aware that the UL /SUL will be under more stress than it was built to handle. Stay alert to the increasing pressure and prepare to fly off the center of the cone. You will feel the pressure diminish and you can drop to a more comfortable level.

Stoney   
tpatter
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 10:06 AM »

If you have enough wind and space, longer lines are pretty sweet!  Smiley  You have more time for everything and I think its easier for precision and tricks.

As long as the lines are taut (not "bowing" up to the kite), at least thats how I like it.  The drag on the lines and wind speed and pull of the kite can all affect this.

My regular flying space is small, so I generally use 75' lines, but I really like 100 or 125 when I get to the beach.

-Tom

6 kite tom
misfitdave

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 07:09 AM »

thank you all,

i can now move on to purchasing lines in bulk rolls.

oh yeah oh yeah.

Actually how long and high can your lines go?

is 200 feet just silly?

Dave

Blow, winds, and crack your cheeks! rage! blow!
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 12:10 PM »

That would depend on the kite and line weight, a full size wing with good pull and drive would handle 200 feet fine. We routinely flew the 1980 - 1990's kites like the Top of the Line Hawaiians & Spin-off and the Flexifoils on 150 foot of 200 lb Kevlar which wasn't a light line, I even flew a 3/4 size Avenger on 150 feet of 200 lb Skybond Line which was a Dacron sheathed Kevlar line comparable in size  weight to 400-500 Spectra today.

If you have the room and that's what you think you'll enjoy go for it.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
the*real*stoney
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 08:28 AM »

Last Saturday the RAF (Richmond Air Force Kite Club) attended Quetzel - an annual festival in Fluvanna County.

The wind was stagnant - not much was happening at ground level.
So I attached my 205 foot lines to my STX SUL and Jim Cosca took a shot at flying high. He found decent wind at about 175 feet and he put on a show for the folks. He got more satisfaction  than anyone else. Sometimes a stunt kite on long lines attracts a lot of attention, particularly when no one else can get anything in the sky.

Stoney
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 12:37 PM »

Actually how long and high can your lines go?

is 200 feet just silly?

I've flown a Vented Sandpiper on 300ft 150lb in a stiff wind, it seemed to cope OK but it was a strong pulling kite.

I'm not sure a Quantum would support that weight of line

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document