GWTW Forum
July 29, 2014, 05:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Human Powered Helicopter Record Attempt  (Read 8885 times)
AeroStar
Trade Count: (+12)

« on: May 10, 2011, 05:46 AM »

Since this has a flying element, thought I'd post up this story. Tomorrow (Weds 5/11/11), University of Maryland will attempt to set a record for human powered helicopter flight. If they can sustain a 60 sec hover at a min altitude of 3 meters, up for grabs is the Sikorsky Challenge prize of $250,000. Also notable is the aircraft will be powered by a female pilot. I suspect she will be a competitive cyclist (most likely a track racer given the high intensity, short interval required).

A promo video is shown below and HERE is an article with more info. Amazing how huge this structure is yet only weighs about 200 lbs (including pilot!). Current record is just under 20 secs set by a Japanese team back in 1994. If UMD wins this challenge, it will be an amazing feat of engineering and athleticism. Should be exciting and good luck to them!

UMD Gamera Human Powered Helicopter Promo

-Paul
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 05:59 AM by AeroStar » Logged
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 07:05 AM »

Wish them luck too.

It's not surprising to have a woman pilot, as I recall the female of our species has equal lower body strength to the males, males may have an advantage in upper body strength. Not carrying the additional unused weight of the increased upper body mass of a male would be a benefit. I'm guessing the rules don't allow for stored energy even if the energy was originally provided by human power?

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 07:45 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 08:18 AM »

Very cool! Paul, thanks for posting those links.

I'll be watching to see how they fare tomorrow. I hope they do well!

Bob
kiteclique
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 08:25 AM »

as I recall the female of our species has equal lower body strength to the males, males may have an advantage in upper body strength.
Surely then, this would make female cyclists very competitive against males, but this is not the case at all.

-Frazer
DecSkybirds
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 09:21 AM »

Lance armstrong could probably fly the thing to the moon  Smiley

Riders Of Heaven -Shiva STD, Shiva Comp UL, Shiva Full Vent, HQ X-Bow, Prism Quantum, Skyburner Wahoo UL
AeroStar

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 06:16 PM »

It's not surprising to have a woman pilot, as I recall the female of our species has equal lower body strength to the males, males may have an advantage in upper body strength. Not carrying the additional unused weight of the increased upper body mass of a male would be a benefit. I'm guessing the rules don't allow for stored energy even if the energy was originally provided by human power?

Correct, rules state "Human power only" so no regenerative sources can be used.  And speaking of the pilot, here is a photo of her training in the test rig:

She definitely looks perfect for this challenge (i.e. petite yet strong!). Hope so since she'll have to sustain about a 1 HP output (746 Watts) for the entire flight. Oh yeah, note how she is also using hand pedals. They estimate this will add approx 10% more power than just legs alone.

If the UMD team even gets off the ground that will be an accomplishment in itself. It's been 30 years since the inception of the Skorsky Challenge, yet there have only been two teams to successfully get a human powered helicopter airborne.

-Paul
Chooks

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 02:10 AM »

Geez did it come off?HuhHuh? Did they achieve it?Huh
AeroStar

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 04:49 AM »

Geez did it come off?HuhHuh? Did they achieve it?Huh

As I write this, the test should start in about 1 hour. Here is the main page for the Gamera project at UMD:

http://www.agrc.umd.edu/gamera/index.html

There you will find a link to view live streaming of the test flight. The video broadcast should start today at 9 AM EST. Note: You will be prompted to install MS Silverlight if not already on your computer.  If you miss the live feed, recorded video will still be availalbe at that same link. Smiley

-Paul
Chooks

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 06:38 AM »

Thanks for that.  It's currently 9:38pm on the 11th here. Got a bit ahead of myself eh??? Grin
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 07:00 AM »

>>> Live Video Feed <<<
(Will hold video recording for archive after the attempt is complete)

ATB,
Sam
misterbleepy

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 07:50 AM »

they're just about to start the first test

Keith B...   ...leep     bleep     bleep
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 11:08 AM »

Just so none of you watch the 3 hours and 15 minutes of the pre recorded video from this morning thinking you might see the flight, the test has been delayed until 3:00 PM Eastern Standard Time due to mechanical problems.

At about 2 minutes in to the pre recorded video you can watch the pilots introduction, Judy Wexler is a petite young lady, there are two backup male pilots, but they can't find Kyle  Cheesy

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
AeroStar

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 07:21 AM »

UPDATE:  Second test rescheduled for today 5/12.  Live Streaming Video available HERE and should start at about 11 AM EST.

Below is an older video showing the first ever successful flight of a human powered helicopter. Designed at California Polytechnic Univ, it's called the Da Vinci III and hovered for 8 secs back in 1989.

The only other documented flight was the Yuri 1 by Nihon Univ in Japan. They have the current record of 19.46 secs set in 1994. So hopefully, the UMD Gamera will surpass that time today. Will they also win the Sikorsky Challenge? I just don't see that happening (at least not yet!)

Da Vinci III flight: Human Powered Helicopter

-Paul
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 08:21 AM »

They may break the record for sustained flight. But I don't think they'll be able to get more than a meter of altitude.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
glider

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 09:30 AM »

They're about to try it again now
9:30 am Pacific Time

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document