GWTW Forum
September 19, 2014, 03:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Human Powered Helicopter Record Attempt  (Read 9299 times)
nckiter
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 11:05 AM »

Any updates?
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 11:48 AM »

11:30 AM PST, looks like they are on a live feed but not much action taking place at the moment. I'm assuming since the live feed is still on they are anticipating an attempt still or somebody forgot to turn off the lights on the way out  Cheesy

Interesting design placing the rotating wings so low, I assume to benefit from a ground effect. But that benefit will disappear quickly as the craft rises, and they've left themselves open damaging those blades if they don't achieve perfectly level flight, I'm seeing only a degree or two margin of error at rest, but  assuming the blades will flex upward under load that will increase that some. Like Denny I think they will lose any benefit of the ground effect by 1 meter up. But they only need to attain the required 3 meter height momentarily, if they can maintain any flight for the required time then bounce it up to 3 meters by increasing the blade angle at the end of the flight using the stored energy in the rotating blades they could accomplish this.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 11:54 AM »

They're reviewing video tape to see if all 5 points were off the ground and for how long.
It never got more than a few inches off the ground at best.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
DWayne

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 12:04 PM »

NAA said one on the five cameras was too low a resolution so the flight was not certified.
Another attempt will be made in the next hour.

Denny

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 12:16 PM »

yep, was trying to find a video of that first attempt.

While your waiting they have a few video's on You Tube Here

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 12:57 PM »

Wonder what kind of carbon tubes they used.

Allen, AKA kitehead
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 01:23 PM »

Looks like P200, maybe that's where the last batch of Skyshark Blem's went? But something I read or saw sounded like they formed their own, otherwise they may have wrapped the joining sections in place.

I was trying to figure out the power transmission, the lines are hanging loose and I don't think I see a full loop back. Are they simply winding line off those large spools on the rotors back to the center?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 01:25 PM by mikenchico » Logged

DWayne

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 02:36 PM »

I was trying to figure out the power transmission, the lines are hanging loose and I don't think I see a full loop back. Are they simply winding line off those large spools on the rotors back to the center?

Yes, they rewound them every time. 200# spectra.  Wink
They did achieve flight. Still waiting for the official timing.

Denny

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 02:43 PM »

11:30 AM PST, looks like they are on a live feed but not much action taking place at the moment. I'm assuming since the live feed is still on they are anticipating an attempt still or somebody forgot to turn off the lights on the way out  Cheesy

Interesting design placing the rotating wings so low, I assume to benefit from a ground effect. But that benefit will disappear quickly as the craft rises, and they've left themselves open damaging those blades if they don't achieve perfectly level flight, I'm seeing only a degree or two margin of error at rest, but  assuming the blades will flex upward under load that will increase that some. Like Denny I think they will lose any benefit of the ground effect by 1 meter up. But they only need to attain the required 3 meter height momentarily, if they can maintain any flight for the required time then bounce it up to 3 meters by increasing the blade angle at the end of the flight using the stored energy in the rotating blades they could accomplish this.

THe reason to put the rotors below the frame is not to gain any benefit from ground resistance but to get clean downward thrust without the turbulance created by the frame members.  Whether this is the reason they used we can only guess.
DWayne

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 02:46 PM »

Actually they said the rotors were located where they were to get maximum ground effect. Without it they didn't think they could achieve flight.

Denny

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2011, 03:44 PM »

Yep, After I posted that I found one of their video studies of Tip Vortex in Extreme Ground Effect The current record holder
YURI-1
used a very similar configuration, including the one way line drive. It appears UMD built off their work increasing the rotor size by overlapping the blades and adding hand power.

I didn't see a full minute in the air and I definitely didn't see 3 meters but it was a good test flight and even the Ref guy said that from his vantage point the 3rd flight was without question fully in the air, the video study will be to confirm the time aloft.

And despite a structural failure while setting up for the 3rd flight the machine stayed together, another accomplishment in itself.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 03:46 PM by mikenchico » Logged

AeroStar
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2011, 06:42 PM »

For those that missed it, the test footage from today is now archived HERE. It only shows the last 6 mins but that's all you need. You'll get to see the final (and best!) test flight plus the ensuing celebration. No doubt, the Gamera flew + Judy did an awesome job.

Not sure if they beat the Japanese record, but the official hover time should be announced tomorrow.  As a minimum, UMD is now only the third team to fly a HPH and the first to accomplish it with a female pilot.  Very Cool!!!

Oh yeah, for those no getting audio, try turning your speakers way UP. At my normal PC volume level, I also got nothing until I cranked the settings higher.

-Paul
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 06:46 PM by AeroStar » Logged
John Welden

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 09:31 PM »

Doesn't get much cooler than that!  I wish we could give teams like this massive amounts of funding.

That woman has incredible legs.  Huh

And notice the recumbent seating position gets them maximum power.  Grin
DWayne

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2011, 06:55 AM »

Still waiting on the official time from the NAA but it looks like Gamera was airborne for about 4 seconds.

Denny

MB
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2011, 02:37 PM »

Paul,

Thanks for letting us know about this.  I really enjoy this kind of stuff.  Creative problem solving, physics, engineering, flying all rolled up into one.

Matt
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document