GWTW Forum
August 28, 2014, 02:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nirvana or Transfer for first propper sport kite?  (Read 3030 times)
noob
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 12, 2011, 03:26 AM »

Hey kind people of dragons,

I want to buy a dragon that has all the tricking and fun inside it.

I am between Nirvana and Transfer but I would like to ask you people for advise.

Which one would you choose and should it be for low wind or medium, as I live inland and the wind speeds are normally around 3-5 m/s. 

So I ask you which kite would you choose to represent the world of sport kites to a semi noob?

Your wisdom is much appreciated.
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 04:18 AM »

I have both. I have a full set of Nirvanas and a full set of Transfer xt.r's. If you're just starting out and haven't quite figured out what kind of inputs you need to make a trick work, I'd probably avoid the Nirvanas. I'd recommend them if you wanted to learn how to fly with expertise. They're a very neutral kite and do what you tell them to do with the correct inputs. And IMHO, they have one of the nicest panel layouts. (You also have to be extra careful with the standoffs. If you try to disconnect the standoffs from the APA connectors, you'll probably break the buttons if you pull on it. The trick is to wiggle it back and forth to work it loose.)

I'm working on my technique with the Nirvanas because I'm at a point where I'm starting to figure out what the inputs are. The Nirvanas are good for me to fly now because now I can work on my technique and fly right!

(And they may not be for everyone. They have a reputation for requiring large inputs and not everyone likes that. For me, large inputs, small inputs, it's all good and fun.)

That leaves the Transfers. I like the xt.r's. They do great rotational tricks. I got pretty decent learning to do flic-flacs.They turtle easily and lazy susans are a snap. If you want a kite that anticipates what you're attempting, the Transfer is a good choice.

So the answer is easy: get a Transfer. (I tried a xt.s and it was a little too big for me. I prefer the xt.r).

Bob D.
noob

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 04:58 AM »

Thanks for the input Bob D

What about xt.z ?
noob

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 05:23 AM »

A semi noob is one level higher than noob, it is a noob who has seen a dragon and also flown with it. Got even an half axel out of it, but its not mine.

Why pay the big bucks is because then all there is left to do is to learn and practice = there is no limitation on the kites side and I dont have to relearn with a new kite. Also when I manage to get any good with a Nirvana or Transfer, I can try out others and have a proven kite to compare to.

bigpappo1
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 05:36 AM »

"What's a semi noob?. If your just starting, why beat either kite?. A kite that comes to mind is the Sky Dog Crossfire (capable, good wind range) or a good solid intermediate!. Until you've got 2 to 3 months or (more) of steady flying under your belt your not going to know the difference. When Bob says the Transfer will do some tricks easily, keep in mind that any trick is only as easy as your experience lets it be".

Fact remains neither the Nirvana or XTR will get you any farther nor faster than a good intermediate. All I'm saying is you don't need to spend a bundle for a kite that won't do any more for you.
I've been in your shoes exactly.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 05:54 AM by bigpappo1 » Logged
Bob D

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 01:18 PM »

BigPappo is right about needing experience. I've been at it a long time and I'm still learning and trying to get consistency. If you're still pretty new to flying, a high end kite won't automatically make you a great flyer. However, you WILL  grow into it but give it time. (Like road bikes: a $4,000 bike isn't going to make you ride like Lance Armstrong. You're better off spending $1,500 on a decent bike and still appreciate decent components and wheels.)

If you're just talking about the Nirvana and the Transfer, I'd go with the Transfer. If you're looking for a good kite to grow into there's lots out there that aren't necessarily so pricey (especially the Nirvanas).

I haven't seen too much feedback on the xt.z. I don't seem to remember reading that it has any chance of being better than the xt.r. Ithink the reviews were mixed.

Check out the other threads about kites to grow into. The Flying Wings Silver Fox and the Premier Widow are both decent kites for a lot less money. If you're serious about kites and think that you're in it for the long haul, spend a few extra dollars. If not, don't.

Bob D.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 01:52 PM »

The NSE or the previous Nirvana?

I've never flown a Transfer, but both the NSE and N are pretty sweet.

6 kite tom
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 10:39 PM »

I don't know much about the Nirvana. Heard they saved the world a couple of years ago Cheesy  I have had a full set of XTRs at one time, and in the low wind category I'd recommend the XTR ul, if you can find one. It's a nice big slow wing with very light pull for it's size, and somewhat floaty in lighter breezes. It was my favorite of the bunch.

noob

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 12:14 AM »

Exactly my point DecSkybirds!!
Im not buying a high end kite to show off or expect to trick right away.

But I want a very good kite to practice, because if some trick does not come out I know its my own fault and I need to practice more.
Flying kites is all about happiness and fun, and I believe I will be much more happy to go out to fly a kite that is one of the best.

My goal for now is enjoy just flying a good kite and spend time away from the busy world we live in. The possibility to learn tricks is a bonus for me Smiley

It will be the Transfer xt.r

Does anyone know any good online shops in Europe where I could buy this kite? I only found one..
obijuankenobe

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 03:47 AM »

Starting out and want a great kite to learn on?

BUY USED.  Then price is not the biggest concern.  You might need patience, but it will pay off. 

Then, when you are a more competent flier who doesn't break things anymore, order something you'll treat like a baby.

Nirvanas and XTr's show up alot.  The German forum moves 100's of kites a month.  I'd start there if I were you.  FA is not bad either.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
Bob D

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 03:54 AM »

Put up a post in Wanted to see if anyone has one here in the US first. If there isn't anyone, try Europe. I really like the xt.r UL too. It would probably pull too hard in higher wind to do much but it's really nice a light breeze. (You have to feel it on your neck. If you don't feel it, it's probably too light to fly.)

Obi: I'm not sure what the German forum is. Can you post the name of it?

Bob D.
jaydub

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 04:49 AM »

Drachenforum, I believe.
GWTWNewb
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 05:33 AM »

noob, do you realise that L'atelier are defunct?
noob

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 05:35 AM »

Nope, I just received an email from them and they are ready to sell the kite to me directly..
noob

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 05:36 AM »

And "GWTWNewb" dont "troll" my thread! Angry
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document