GWTW Forum
October 20, 2014, 04:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nirvana or Transfer for first propper sport kite?  (Read 3112 times)
GWTWNewb
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 05:37 AM »

What an interesting turn of events.  Cheesy
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 07:54 AM »

You are paying too much if you buy one new from them. 

You don't even know if you'll like it.  Maybe it will pull too much for you.  Maybe you won't enjoy the difficulty of the taz machine.   

Plain and simple: shop around for a used kite...knowing that there are many many many kites available to you which will more than fit the bill.  Maybe you'll end up with a cheap used Sea Devil (which many feel is a Nirvana made for smaller arms) or stumble upon a custom all black XTs someone doesn't want anymore.  You never know.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
bigpappo1
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 08:03 AM »

There's a Continental on the swap meet for less than $200. A good used Sea Devil Light or Std. would grow you and since the claim is the Transfer is a poor man's Sea Devil might catch your interest..

Rob's review of the XT.S.  " Once you get the idea that this thing needs to be slapped around it is a real winner. Not a finnese kite! It moves very smoothly and gently but requires hard inputs. I started to notice I could get it to do nearly anything with hard/firm small inputs. Or just standard "big kite" style inputs work fine as well. Only complaint I have so far is after 2 hours of flying my shoulders and elbows are aching badly. Never been a problem with anything before (im a big guy, but im very active). May just be the humid, chilly weather".
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 08:15 AM by bigpappo1 » Logged
n893
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 08:24 AM »

HI... i'm had tried XTs / z and Nirvana before... and i more prefer to XTs because it's more forgiving if you give too much input, and still quite responsive for proper input...
nirvana didnt like too much input... but once you get the amount of nirvana want... it will just do all the trick in auto mode  Wink Wink Wink

happy kite choosing...

(btw if i can give u suggestion... maybe better you find level one genesis... since it's cheap and super nice kite) Grin
windal
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 04:32 PM »

Hi,

There are the xt.r std and a set of Nirvanas in my bag , I do not need to tell which one I would go for.

The xt.r is more pitchy due to its shape (higher aspect ratio) , but the Nirvana is much more precise. Get a used Nirvana not a xt.r as

-you will easier get one
-you will better learn basic precise flying
-you will easily sell it if you do not get into it

Nirvana or NSE will not matter for you, even Nirvana would also have to be devided into old and new sail cut, grab whatever is around.

You can get any other proper sport kite as well to get a smile on your face, but I would try to get one without a curved leading edge.

That is my idea...

Mirko
Enjoy flying with anything you enjoy flying with!
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 05:51 PM »

Buy a 'good' kite that you can afford since you will want to upgrade in 2 weeks time.  Cheesy
My kite pal has a used Nirvana SE at a good price for sell. PM me if interested.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 05:52 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
Stickman
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2011, 12:14 PM »

I would include Talon in the mix for sure-1st class construction, beautiful, predictable and rewarding IMHO-UL, Std and Vented. I also have Exile std and UL-different but in the same class, also first rate and very rewarding.

"Breaking sticks is part of the process"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change