GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 11:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Love Or Hate Him: Just Spell The Name Correctly  (Read 4702 times)
Jynx
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 11:51 AM »

Leave all the old crap about Dodd on the old GWTW forum.

Well said. I'll leave it at that.

See ya,
Bill

I don't know Dodd, any conflicts, or anything... and for days have been wondering why this thread existed and the reasoning behind it (?)... I still don't know but agree with the above.

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky."
Jimi Hendrix
John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 12:49 PM »

Leave all the old crap about Dodd on the old GWTW forum.

Well said. I'll leave it at that.

See ya,
Bill

Bill, are you still flying kites and competing? I probably haven't seen you in ten years. 

JW
Bill Rogers
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 02:04 PM »

Bill, are you still flying kites and competing? I probably haven't seen you in ten years. 

JW

It has definitely been quite a while.

The competition is winding down for me. Two more and then I will be done, probably for good. I still fly, but not near as much as I used to. Got into photography quite a bit and that is taking up a lot of my extra time.

How about you, still flying?

See ya,
Bill
John Welden

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 02:38 PM »

JW

It has definitely been quite a while.

The competition is winding down for me. Two more and then I will be done, probably for good. I still fly, but not near as much as I used to. Got into photography quite a bit and that is taking up a lot of my extra time.

How about you, still flying?

See ya,
Bill

I fly my Vapor every once in a while.  If the wind and weather are nice, I love flying as much as I used to.

You've got a few years of competition under your belt, so it's probably okay to retire at this point.  Wink

Take it easy,
JW
Gardner
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 02:55 PM »

I agree with JW.  What happened back in the 90s happened a decade ago and is ancient history.  What unfolded on the old GWTW foruw was unfortunate and drove Dan up the wall. 

And Dan had to pour a lot of oil and troubled waters.

Gardner
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 05:23 PM »

Shocked JW where are you?

I retired.

John C, that's a sweet picture of Dodd and that kite.

It's probably better to delete this thread. No old controversies need to be resolved, like who designed the Jam Session. No one cares.  Start a thread about his new kites and talk about those. The rest of it isn't worth talking about.  Anyone that knows Dodd already knows the good and the bad. Anyone that doesn't really know Dodd, doesn't need to hear about the past because it makes no difference.  Leave all the old crap about Dodd on the old GWTW forum.

there are a few of us that are fairly new compared to you that enjoy the history of kiting. i to was lucky enough to run across dodd's vids thanx to thief they REALLY helped my flying and therefore got me wondering what all the hype was about .glad to hear that  there are some good things to be said about the guy ps.i have longish hair also doesn't seem to effect my flying much

have fun kurt
Bill Rogers
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 06:39 PM »

I fly my Vapor every once in a while.  If the wind and weather are nice, I love flying as much as I used to.

Good to hear. I still have my Vapor. Sweet kite.

You've got a few years of competition under your belt, so it's probably okay to retire at this point.  Wink

Yeah, I think 14 years is long enough ;-)

See ya,
Bill
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 07:21 PM »

ps.i have longish hair also doesn't seem to effect my flying much

Longish hair is always good as a wind indicator. 

A bit annoying when the cat gets bored on the couch and goes looking for a chew toy though.  Judicious use of a hair product not appealing to feline taste buds generally solves that though.  Roll Eyes

ATB,
Sam
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2011, 09:07 PM »

thanx for the advice sam..if it becomes a problem. i will keep it in mind
regards kurt

have fun kurt
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2011, 10:13 PM »

Well said JW!
doddg

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2011, 11:34 AM »

Who cares.
So I deleted it.

I am still here designing and making a living in kiting. I haven't gone anywhere.
Best winds,
Dodd
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 02:51 PM by doddg » Logged
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2011, 02:56 PM »

WHen it comes to kiting there is no doubt that the two names that most people recognize when it comes to bringing kiting out of the "kid stuff" stigma to the mass market is MArk Reed and Dodd Gross.  MY early push in the addiction came from Mark Reed handing me the lines of a Spark (yes the irony of the name is not lost on me) years ago.  I give credit for my evolution as a kiter and what I know today to the guys at prism, though I never did get big into competitions.

My few experiences with Dodd were great.  ALways helpful and quite a unique character.   MY experiences with Dodd kites has been hit and miss, mostly miss.  All are solid designs don't get me wrong here but I have had a lot of badly made Dodd designs and thats the biggest reason I don't buy NTK kites.  I blame it on the manufacturer though and I have had similar experiences with Jon's designs from premier.

AS for what happened in the past I say let it stay in the past.  THere was so much evolution in the kiting industry happening by different designers and fliers working together at the same time that to narrow down who did what first is kind of pointless and not really that easy.  What Dodd was doing with his designs was happening at TOTL, Prism, as well as  bunch of other small kite builders and seemed more of a who got to market first than who came up with the idea first.  ANy claim of "I did it first" is going to be met with skepticism and out right criticism.  To be honest a lot of the firsts in kite design came from the aeronautical industry.  Battens and standoffs were used on hang  gliders and airplanes long before they made it to kites. WEll maybe not since the wright brothers used these in the kites they made to test their designs.

All titles and self proclamations aside, Dodd was and still is one of the biggest advocates and promoters of the joys of kiting and his contributions over the years to countless fliers should not be belittled.  Anyway I'm off to go fly anyone care to join me Smiley
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 02:58 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
doddg

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2011, 06:31 AM »

Chilese, you sandbagged me from the beginning. I will never forget the nice 2 hours or so we had flying together when we first met, when i returned home from CA, I read all of the nasty stuff you posted. I just couldnt believe the things, untrue things you said. That was hurtful and it started a negative campaign against me, against one of your one. Against a nice guy who was really out to help people in kiting and look what you did to me, you should be ashamed of yourself. I contributed a lot to this sport and now to see you attack it and all of the good things I did, sickens me.

Self proclaimed master instructor. You insult me once again. I was the only one touring around the world teaching all skill levels including Master competitors, and the only one with a training video until Prism duplicated it, (and another reason for the attacks here was to push their video over mine, shame on you) and I was the Master Champion in 1994 in both precision and ballet. So not a stretch. Mark never won anything, Christoph never won anything why do you attack someone that has done well?

I was recruited by HQ. I became their importer. They asked me to design a kite, and I did. I had been making my own in my kite retail shop. Rob, you dont know what you are talking about. Christoph works for you now so of course you are going to spin things in his favor. HQ had a kite called the session. I designed a totally different kite, and HQs best selling kite, the Jam session, Christoph sewed it just like the chinese works did for me in china., I didnt put xia lins's name on any New tech kite and it was one of the biggest mistakes of my life in kiting to ask to have his name put on it. Now he and hq both lie about what really happened, makes me sick.
Remember, I was the pro, I was brought over to help Christoph and INvento. Now you have changed the facts once again.

Arrogant? I am a musician and know alot of arrogant people, some of the most arrogant people I have ever met in my life are kite fliers. They put down others because of their kite flying skill level, they put a lot of you down behind your back. I am ashamed of this part of kiting, i never did that, i did the opposite and look what I got in return..
\
Thanks

Stogiez

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2011, 08:17 AM »

Embarrassed
Wow.  I am truly saddened and disgusted by this thread.  I have been a member of this forum for over a year, and I find this thread absolutely of no value.  No--I am not a prude, or a shrew.  Just don't like people singled out in front of the ENTIRE WORLD with such negative comments.  If you don't like someone--say it  privately.  The products will speak for themselves--publicly.

While I have only one post--I enjoy this forum to learn, and hopefully improve my flying skills.

I've seen a few snide comments from a flyer about "line dancing", but nothing as mean as mean-spirited as this.  With the pretense of "not"  being mean--this thread is anything but.  Just exactly how is the video the "death of kite flying"?  How is someone to learn if there is not another flyer around?

I know nothing of Dodd other than: he has been related to a few kite companies over the years; made a very good video (I just bought Flight School); and is a great kite pilot. 

I doubt I will ever meet him, but I wish him luck with SkyDog.  After reading this thread this morning, I will order a Black Dog UL.  I was leaning towards a Shadow, but I'm going with SD instead.  I have flown the smaller ones, so I am sure the BD UL will be a fine flyer.

I agree with Jynx and the others--the thread has no value what so ever.

What is bothering more is that a "Global Moderator" started this thread.  Do I report this to other Global Moderators, even though a few have joined in this thread?

Respectfully,
Stogiez
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 08:20 AM by Stogiez » Logged

A few SLKs, a few Dualies, and a couple of Quads.  Still trying to learn more.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2011, 08:32 AM »

What's the purpose of this thread? Did John just want to show that even moderators can display extremely poor judgement?

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum