GWTW Forum
November 23, 2014, 09:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Simple glider bars  (Read 1111 times)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: May 18, 2011, 05:44 AM »

So you have a kite you'd like to add yoyo stops to but it doesn't have covered leading edge fittings or maybe a q-pro thats missing the glider bars.  Well since its been raining the last few days I took the time to upgrade an old first gen Gemini with stops and came up with an easy solution to the lack of covered LE fittings.

What you'll need:
10 or 11 inch zip ties(3/16 wide)
1/8 inch heat shrink
cutters
hobby knife
lighter

First step is to take the zip tie and cut off the locking block.  ONce that is done take your hobby knife and trim the end so its rounded off.  You will also want to shave off any excess plastic along the length leftover from the moulding.

Photo0185 by Ca Ike, on Flickr

Photo0186 by Ca Ike, on Flickr

Once you have the end prepped, cut a couple 1/2 in pieces of the 1/8 inch heat shrink (note the 1/8 inch diameter is after shrinking not before) and place them on the ends of the tie so they are about 1/16 inch past the end and shrink it.  THis will protect the LE material from the sharp ends of the tie and provide a bit of grip to keep it from sliding around in the LE pocket.

Photo0187 by Ca Ike, on Flickr

Now you can place a mark half way along the zip tie but centering the tie over the fitting isn't really necessary.  YOu'll want to slide the tie into the LE pocket, smooth side up, so its about 4 inches inside both above and below the fitting.  depending on the kite and size of the cutout this will vary of course.

Photo0188 by Ca Ike, on Flickr

Photo0189 by Ca Ike, on Flickr

And there you go.  YOu can now add stops and try your roll up tricks without worrying about snagging an upper LE fitting. 

Disclaimer
THis mod will not guarantee your particular kite will do roll ups nor will it make you a yoyo master.  Feel free to use this mod on any kite you wish, provided its your own (if its not you didn't get permission from me Tongue), and have fun experimenting with a new trick on an older kite Smiley
cgregurich73
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 07:38 AM »

that is a simple modification have to try it on some classic kites i have

My wife can't tell me to go fly a kite when shes mad at me now.

Whats in the bag?
 Hq baby tana 2002
 Revolution 1.5
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 10:44 AM »

Some people put a dot of hot glue between the APA and plastic strip.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 02:33 PM »

Some people put a dot of hot glue between the APA and plastic strip.
With the width and length i used they stay in place pretty well but on smaller ties thats not a bad idea.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 02:58 PM »

Back in the early days of hard core rollup activity and long before most kites were made with covered LE cutouts, some trendy euro flyers were seen with nifty clear plastic covers on the upper connectors. Turned out they were cut from plastic pop bottles.

Allen, AKA kitehead
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 07:15 PM »

I skip the heat shrink and just sand and round the bejeebers out of the ends.  At each end of the glide I wrap one snag free hair tie.

which is grippy enough to prevent the glide from moving around in the LE pocket even with the LE detensioned.

Strange, but it works.

ATB,
Sam
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum