GWTW Forum
July 29, 2014, 07:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: lines for a Ghost  (Read 1013 times)
Makalu1
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: May 20, 2011, 08:19 AM »

Hi folks.  I'm sure there's other ways of getting this info, but figured I'd get the best and quickest info here.  I have never flown a larger kite before (bigger than a couple of square feet) and recently purchased a G-Kites Ghost.  Any suggestions for a newbie on lines, anchors and reels for such a kite?  Are these kites usually flown pretty close to the ground or can you let them loose?  Currently all I've got is dualie hardware.

Any info would be appreciated!  Thanks folks!

Scott

Scott Madsen
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 08:46 AM »

Others will jump in here but for a start:
http://gombergkites.com/faq.html

Sine Metu!
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 08:47 AM »

I would use 100# line on a flat winder (like a dual line winder)
bring a stake (tent stakes work fine as do old screwdrivers).
larkshead the flying kind to the stake 2x to make sure it does not slip. good to go!

I know that some people use dog leashes to tie down to a tree/bench/car tire etc.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 11:48 AM »

The ghost is a very tame kite to fly.  You should have no problem at all unless you plan on flying it in crazy strong winds.  If it is the standard ghost (7' wingspan), you can fly it right off a spool just like any other kite.  If it is the giant ghost (13' wingspan) you will probably want to anchor it out to launch it.  You could fly it right off a spool if the wind is under 10mph, but stronger than that would be best to just anchor it and then launch.

If you are worried about it, drive a good quality stake into the ground.  Make sure it is buried deep so it can't be pulled out with the gusty winds.  Run out about 100' to 150' of line (or whatever length you desire).  I usually fly with 75' to 150' of line, depending on area and how much attention I want to give the kite.  Shorter line allows viewers to see the large size of the kite.  Longer line usually gets the kite up higher where the winds are more steady and gives room for line laundry if wanted.

Once your line is ran out, tie one end onto the stake securely (two or three larks heads or use a strap and biner as listed above).  Then take out all the slack in the line and attach to the assembled kite.  Stand to one side, lift the kite while controlling the line and launch her on up.  Be careful that the line doesn't rip through your hand, gloves may be a good idea.  Again the ghost is a pretty tame kite so it is a great one to start with.

Hope this helps.

Makalu1
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 01:39 PM »

Thanks guys!  85# 200 footer on the way.  I appreciate the tips.

Scott

Scott Madsen
kiteflyer82
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 05:54 AM »

If flying on the beach, for an anchor here's what I did.....

Get a 1X4X12 board drill a hole right in the middle, get a heavy duty kite line or just rope about 3 feet long and feed it through the board and put a knot on both ends. When you get to the beach put it about 2 feet under and pack the sand. This worked great with all my old ghost kite and even my old 19 ft delta. But give a few good tugs to make sure it's in there good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document