GWTW Forum
July 24, 2014, 10:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vented team kite?  (Read 2909 times)
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« on: May 21, 2011, 09:34 AM »

My wife and I have two pairs of team kites that we fly regularly: a pair of North Shore Radicals and a pair of Dream Ons. We're musing about adding a pair of SULs in due course (we got our eyes on the new T5s ....), and maybe also a pair of venteds. This is to keep flying when the NSRs pull your arms out of their sockets ...

When it comes to vented team kites, there doesn't appear to be that much around. T4/T5 (mid-vent or mega-vent), Infinity Vented, and .... ? What others are around that people would recommend? Added trick-ability is not important; precision is, so we're not looking for a kite that can do some tricks at the cost of less precision.

I saw one or two web-sites hinting at a vented version of the Multiflex, a German team kite. Anyone got any experience with Multiflexes (in any version)?

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 11:33 AM »

What wind range are you looking for?

The Infinity Vented will only add a few mph to the standards range.
Basically, look at the % of venting compared to how much additional wind range you're looking for.

Good luck.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Flying Fish

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 11:38 AM »

Thanks John. I'd be looking at a kite that can deal with 25-30mph, ideally with gusts a bit higher than 30mph. I'm aware that the vented Infinity doesn't go that much higher than the standard version, and that's why that kite isn't on my radar. But I just thought I'd mention it to show I'm aware it exists. Seems there aren't many vented team kites around, unless I'm missing something obvious.

cgregurich73
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 11:59 AM »

Chicago fire kite team flys vented mambas.

My wife can't tell me to go fly a kite when shes mad at me now.

Whats in the bag?
 Hq baby tana 2002
 Revolution 1.5
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 12:05 PM »

At 30 mph, even my most vented dualie gets parked at the top of the window until the wind dies down a bit.

And that would be my Voodoo Vented.

I suggest you get whatever vented you like and start burning additional holes in it.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 12:10 PM »

If you're only flying pairs for fun, I wouldn't bother with getting something to fly in that much wind. It's not going to be fun at all.

Competition's a different matter, and if that's what your into get a vented that flies as similar to your other kites as possible.
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 02:10 PM »

I had a blast flying the Bell Bros, Team SOHR (sense of humor required) Vented Mamba's. Blue Moon had a few different vented models at one time but only the Mamba is still in production.

For a smaller investment if you won't be using them often there is the Silver Fox Vented. I don't have any experience with the vented model myself or much experience on any of the Silver Fox models so I can't say how they fly personally. They do have a pretty loyal following here though so maybe somebody will speak up who has one or has flown one. I sort of like the looks of them with the holes rather then screen and they have the flaps over the keel vents so the kites are still stable on their back if you incorporate any tricks into your routine.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 02:15 PM »

Vented Mambas will do ya just fine

and the PDSUL is a good SUL for teams too (Profile SUL is great too), just as a heads up  Smiley

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 06:22 PM »

I know of a matched pair if Aerodrone Speed Limits!  very precise. handles all different higher wind speeds...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 08:19 PM »

When Vented Team kites are mentioned, my first thought is the QPro VV............It did wonders for TCE in two back to back Worlds.........Of course, one has to figure in the pilot's skills in that equation also.

They can be tuned to fly in the highest comp conditions imaginable, for my money.

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 10:13 PM »

Pull is a big factor for me - if it pulls too much to comfortably fly in 20+ mph for an hour then I probably won't fly it.

If you don't care about tricks, then there are many nice vents out there (many feel either too mushy or brick-like to me to enjoy slack lines tricks with them).

I agree with Jim on the qpro vv.  I had a sf vent. It tricked and flew well, but the pull was just too much in higher winds.

6 kite tom
ancnthiflr

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 12:31 AM »

THP Platinum AVS kites Grin  especially if precision is a factor.
But to find two, you may have to look as far as France and Hawaii  Wink Wink.
To buy two, you may need to strike the jackpot in Vegas. Huh
no sarcasm intended. Cool
damp_weather
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 02:26 AM »

Another vote for QPro VVs, if you can find them.  They don't pull like a truck. We have flown them in measured 30mph and they looked as if they could stand alot more.  For precision flying in high winds, the 40 and 60gram weights in the weight kit start to come into their own in slowing/taming the kite. - Wah pads and nappies have also worked well.  Goodness knows what the kites could fly in if: heavy lines, the weight kit and all the air brakes were used simultaneously.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 02:29 AM by damp_weather » Logged
KeithG
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 04:08 PM »

Will is right. There comes a point when it becomes kite survival and no longer kite flying. The only time I have ever flown in 30 mph or better was because I had to in a competition and the rules state "fly or die" so I flew. Really do not think I would ever fly in that much wind for any other reason, for me its just no longer fun above 18 mph or so. Now with that said...

If you can find them, R-Sky's vented Nirvana's or NSE's would be a great all around choice. Vented Vendetta's by Viper Sportkites, if he is still building, would also fit the bill. Any of the Blue Moon kites is a good choice. No experience with the Q Pro vented, but, at least for me, I did not like the standard Q Pro.

Keith

Kites & Corvettes, both, a great way to fly.
Flying Fish

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 12:15 PM »

Guys, thanks to you all for suggestions. I managed to get my hands on a pair of mega-vented Matrix kites, for a great price. Flew them today in a very gusty wind, where the gusts must have been well over 25mph. Kites behaved perfectly!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document