GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 10:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shanti Skybond  (Read 9581 times)
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« on: May 21, 2011, 09:14 PM »

Is anyone flying Shanti Skybond?
Anyone care to share their experiences?

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 06:30 AM »

I got a set for testing Denny. Highly recommended. Fresh, I put 10 - 12 twists in the line and they feel as slippery still. Thinking of getting some bulk lines for team flying.

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 10:48 AM »

I have a set. It's coated which some don't like and it's yellow. I'm a big fan of yellow lines, they show up well. It's thin and has a very low stretch. Over all I like it but it seems almost identical to the line I normally use so I wouldn't buy it again.

Peace

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 12:10 PM »

I have flown sport kites and tested twists with Skybond:

85' x 175#: 15 twists

100' x 50#: 25 twists

While I could tell there was rubbing the kites were easily flyable, although at that many twists, a few tricks relying on severe slack to one side no longer worked.

Highly recommended.

As a bonus, watching the yellow line squiggle during tricks is a treat.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 06:10 PM »

I decided against it because of the color.

Allen, AKA kitehead
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 06:41 PM »

And yet you'll fly my pink and rainbow kites.  Roll Eyes

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 07:07 PM »

for my dollar, it's the best line available today though i've not flown the red climax line many fly across the pond.

i've been flying it exclusively for probably almost a year now with two 100# sets, a 75 and 100 foot. when new it's fantastically slippery and wears well. it doesn't pick up much dirt. from what i can tell the weave stays tight. needed to only make a single length adjustment on one of the two sets. even in its worn in state it's twice as slippery as any other line in my bag. it gives very good feedback though the line what the forces on the kite are doing. flown them in some fairly strong winds and haven't broken one yet.

i'm no expert on line but it's the clear choice for me. have also flown in descending order of preference and comparing it to es-55 (spectra 2000), shanti warp speed, laser pro gold, and the prism lpg variant.

chilese has one set of line, who knows who made it, which is very thin but the connection you get to the kite feels like steel cables, offering a different experience, but is not as slippery and haven't found that feel on any other set.

it may be different at the beach, but around here, the fact skybond doesn't pick up hardly any dirt really helps them stay consistent over time.

Fdeli
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 07:43 PM »

And yet you'll fly my pink and rainbow kites.  Roll Eyes

What goes on at Kite Party stays at kite party...

I've flown your red (pink) lines too.

Allen, AKA kitehead
DWayne

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 04:57 AM »

Thanks for all the replies. Thanks Fidelio the longevity report.
I tried a set this weekend on a std, & a UL and rather liked them. I'll be buying a roll and making a few more sets.  Wink

Denny

Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 12:44 PM »

I absolutely love it.  Mega slick compared to all other lines I have flown.  Very thin and gives an awesome connection feel to the kite.  Inputs seem to be much more direct to how the kite behaves.  I have been flying a set for almost 2 years now with no wear issues at all.  I broke it one time when flying my California Wasp in way to strong of wind.  100# test only goes so far.  Re-tied it and it is still going strong - although now it is only about 72 ft. instead of 75'. Smiley

tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 01:38 PM »

Anyone want to swap a 75' or 100' set of SSB for a set of LPG?

I was tempted to buy a set to see how I like them, but found that for not that much more I could get a spool, so I never bought the Skybond set (or the spool).

I am very happy with LPG, but am always up to try a new line. 

If anyone wants to swap a set, let me know.  Otherwise, I'll probably just get a spool.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 01:42 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
Stickman
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 02:03 PM »

Tom-If you want to wait and try it out I've ordered one set 100#/75' should be here before the end of the week. I thought I would try it out first before ordereding a whole spool.
Scott

"Breaking sticks is part of the process"
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 03:39 PM »

Thanks Scott - sounds good!

I want to give them a quick try before I buy a spool to make sure that I like them.  You can try my Transformer out as well - thanks for the offer.

-Tom

6 kite tom
DWayne

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 05:27 PM »

Mega slick compared to all other lines I have flown.  Very thin and gives an awesome connection feel to the kite.  Inputs seem to be much more direct to how the kite behaves.

What he said. ^^^^^

Was going to order a roll but the $20 shipping charge stopped me dead in my tracks.  Sad

Denny
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 09:23 AM by DWayne » Logged

ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 05:32 PM »

denny if you would like to split a roll let me know

have fun kurt
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum