GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 03:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shanti Skybond  (Read 9399 times)
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 06:17 AM »

denny if you would like to split a roll let me know

Thanks Kurt. With the longevity Kent and Fidelio reported half a roll would probably be enough, but...........

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
AlexanderH
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 06:28 PM »

I have been using the Skybond line ever since the last Huntington Beach Kite Party. I find the kite responds much quicker with this new line. The visability of the line is very easy when it is overcast weather. I totally recommend thiw line to everyone.

Alexander
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 10:21 AM »

Awesome news Alex, was wondering how you were liking the line.

DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2011, 01:51 PM »

Is the skybond somewhat "stiff"? or maybe a better question is how "supple" is it?
I have been a long flier of the shanti speed line and didnt care for some of the lpg line because it seemed too "stiff" initally to me. ymmv

Sine Metu!
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2011, 04:05 PM »

From my understanding (I've never seen or tried it SSB), it is a coated line (much like LPG), but the coating is very very slippery.

I am not completely sure that LPG is actually coated, but it seems like it to me.  As you said, it is 'stiff' which I always attributed to a coating.

I really like LPG best - once you get the line broken in, the wraps stop 'squealing' and the line provides the best connection to the kite of all those I've tried so far.  It also typically lasts me about 1 year with pretty heavy use.  If this new line can do that and also be more slippery (more wraps), I will go for it.

-Tom

6 kite tom
st3307
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 04:27 PM »

I  just got my sky bond last week   but here are my feelings on it so far  the  input  is  very good  and  clean   to the  kite  I got  a set  of 100# @ 125'
and to me  it feels  like  I am flying on much short set of line like 75' or so.  I started putting wraps in the line  at  10 wraps  no feeling  of   binding   20 still no sign of binding 30 wraps   some  tighting  of  the  lines  to each other  but  still very flyable   and    at   40   you   could feel the  binding  in the   line  but  I was  still able   to  fly the  wraps   out  and be  in control of the kite.  Right out of the package the lines were equal with  very  lil streach to them on the   stake methond of streaching  line  preflight As for  how long  will the line last well ask me in a years time and I willl let you  know then

Good air always Bobby
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2011, 04:55 PM »

20-40 wraps!   Yeah, no way I can do that with LPG.   

Then again, you sort of adjust - alternating tricks to unwind.  I don't really think about it, but a dozen wraps or so is probably about all I do before changing direction.

If I could get 40 wraps in one direction, I may NEVER learn to comete both clockwise and counter-clockwise!  Smiley

6 kite tom
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2011, 05:15 PM »

With 2 dozen wraps I could feel some drag doing a cascade but it wasn't enough to bother me. IMO it doesn't feel anything like LPG, or Shanti Warp Speed. I like it. Got a roll coming. I plan on flying this line from now on.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
st3307

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 05:15 PM »

yes  well  normaly  I never  get  near   30  wraps  let  alone   40  but   it  was  a  test  of  the  lines  and  I  counted   each  wrap  and    preformed  the     jump  figer    as  to     gauge  flyablity   and  alot   of  right  handed  axels   but      it  was  a   true  test   for  how  they  wrap    and  if  ya  buy  a set  and  don't  like them  Tom  let  me  know  and  I  buy them Off  ya  Smiley

Good air always Bobby
Shane
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 08:12 AM »

I have been flying the new Blue line since getting my Talon about 7 months ago... What are your thoughts on that line... I just broke 2 sets and ordered 2 new ones... I think I may have made a mistake.... Undecided I love the line when it is new and crisp... but I noticed that after about 5 months the line started to fray and then it would bind up and get sticky after about 6-10 wraps... I think I will be ordering some Skybond and trying it out... Oh well, Live and learn. just like with the dog... Wink Wink

"Once you have flown, you will walk with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci
st3307

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 08:21 AM »

Hey  Shane  I  have  flown  blue  line   ES 55   for  years  and  loved   it    but    since  getting    the  new  skybond  it  has  won me  over       but  any  line  you  fly  will  fry  and  come  apart     because  of  lower  spreader   rub   if  your    doing   alot  of  tricks    on   the  rough  edges    leaders  may  help  ypur  bridle  and  line wear    and  other  might  wnat  to  chime  in  here      with  what else  they  do  to     keep  the  bridle   and  line  wear  down

Good air always Bobby
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2011, 09:49 AM »

But it's yellow!  Huh

I flew blue line for years and one of the things I liked about it was it was unobtrusive. Recently I replaced the Shanti line sets I'd been flying for maybe 2 years. They were really grungy and gray. The new bright white line is just distracting. I'm looking forward to it getting a bit dimmer as I use it.

Seeing the line is great for learning new stuff, but otherwise I'd rather have it be invisible when I'm flying by myself.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2011, 10:25 AM »

But it's yellow!  Huh

I guess it all depends on what your used to. I love the yellow lines. I've been using them for almost four years. I have other colors too (white, blue, grey) but the yellow is my fav.

So far this Skybond seems about as slippery as any line I've used and definitely slipperier than many. But until it gets used and abused more it's hard to compare to my usual lines. Manly because all my other sets I normally fly have a ton of time on them and the Skybond ist still fresh.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2011, 07:08 PM »

But it's yellow!  Huh Huh Huh

I flew blue line for years and one of the things I liked about it was it was unobtrusive. Recently I replaced the Shanti line sets I'd been flying for maybe 2 years. They were really grungy and gray. The new bright white line is just distracting. I'm looking forward to it getting a bit dimmer as I use it.

I hear ya...
I see a gap in the market, that must be filled:
Prestretched Equalizied Gray Grungy Yellow!

but you can call her PEGGY, maybe you have seen her commercials

[attachments older than 90 days deleted by admin]

Sine Metu!
Danno419
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 03:20 PM »

But it's yellow!  Huh Huh Huh

I hear ya...
I see a gap in the market, that must be filled:
Prestretched Equalizied Gray Grungy Yellow!

but you can call her PEGGY, maybe you have seen her commercials

LOL!!!!

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change