GWTW Forum
September 18, 2014, 08:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shanti Skybond  (Read 9171 times)
justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2011, 06:52 PM »

Just ordered a set to try out.  Convinced after reading here. 
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2011, 08:09 AM »

I got some recently and had a chance to try it last night - very sweet line.

The stuff is strong - I was out for a couple if hours in 10-25, mostly around 20.  It held up well in that wind.  I noticed that this line does not 'sing' like 90# LPG will do in that wind.

Very slick for sure - you can wrap many more times than other lines that I've tried and keep flying and tricking.  When they do start to bind, it's more gradual than others as well.

I can't  wait to put some more time on it in better winds, but I sure do like it so far.  Lighter wind will allow me to check the stretch which is what I like best about LPG - no rubber band stretch so you feel more in touch with the kite, but so far it seems as good as LPG with more wraps.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 08:11 AM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
Danno419
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2011, 08:23 AM »

Just ordered 1000' of this.
Thanks for all the input folks.  Cool

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2011, 09:46 AM »

The stuff is strong - I was out for a couple if hours in 10-25, mostly around 20.  It held up well in that wind.  I noticed that this line does not 'sing' like 90# LPG will do in that wind.

That's usually an indication of line with a bit more stretch, but folks hove really felt connected to their kites with this, so it could be it has some give but is very elastic. Would make for very durable line.

If it only wasn't yellow...    Cry

Allen, AKA kitehead
Shane
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2011, 01:31 PM »

I bought some this last week. Can't wait to try it out this weekend. This thread did it for me as well... Grin

"Once you have flown, you will walk with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2011, 02:41 PM »

I got some more time on the Skybond lines.  I particular, I was comparing them to laser pro gold. 

I short, I like the LPG better for kite connection - it just feels better when flying (although it is close) - i think it has a wee bit less stretch.  Sky bond rules for wraps however and it has plenty of kite connection, better than others I've tried, just not quite as stiff as LPG.

My issue is that the SB will easily support 3-4 times the number of wraps (dozens) and you can just keep right on tricking.   Practically speaking, it is a very addictive line - it's hard to go back to a line that cramps your style by requiring you to more accurately and more often manage your wraps.  In something like hot tricks, or VF, or just mad tricking, this is a big advantage.

For now, I keep switching back and forth - there is room enough in the bag for both.  They are both sweet lines to fly with.

6 kite tom
Danno419

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2011, 01:31 PM »

my 1000' is backordered  Cry
I did however receive 200 free feet for the wait  Smiley
Just an FYI for those possibly ordering any bulk.

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2011, 03:15 PM »

What is the price for the 90LBs./1000ft. in bulk roll ?
Where to get it ?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 07:17 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
Danno419

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2011, 08:55 AM »

What is the price for the 90LBs./1000ft. in bulk roll ?
Where to get it ?

I PM'd you.

Edit: not sure there is a 90# - mine is 100# (i couldnt find bulk any lighter - but its about as thin as my 50# standard spectra set(s)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 09:01 AM by Danno419 » Logged

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2011, 02:29 PM »

I still have some 1000' x 100# in stock.

cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2011, 11:34 PM »

I still have some 1000' x 100# in stock.

Great.  I might give you a call very soon.  Cheesy

My beat-up Climax Protec needs to be replace very soon.  It will be interesting to compare it to the Skybond.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 07:37 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2011, 03:28 AM »

cids ,I will be interested in getting some also, so maybe we can get together and share a spool.
Danno419

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2011, 09:26 AM »

got out for an hour or so with the new lines last night.
Pretty darn nice imo - i got to about 2 dozen wraps before really feeling any really noticeable friction. (was still tricking - but with 24+ wraps- i couldn't get a super flat axle)
i actually lost track of how many wraps i had a few different times - don't really have to think about it anymore lol.
A+

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2011, 11:51 AM »

I have only tried one set of the Skybond but it started feeling rough after being used maybe ten times or so. Well it snapped right in the middle of the line the other day in wind that was about 6 -12 mph. I am kind of disappointed, I was hoping for the best with this line, it felt pretty good, a little stretchy maybe but slick.

It's hardly the only line I have ever broken but it is the newest line set I have snapped (it still looks new). I have many other lines that are so used they look like dirt and I still use them all the time. I know this is just one experience but I don't think I'll get it again at this point.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2011, 12:04 PM »

Very interesting to hear.  What weight was you using and with what kite?

I have been using the same set of Skybond 100# now for about a year and a half and it is still ultra slick.  There are also several pilots in our group that have been using the Skybond for nearly a year now and have never had an issue with it breaking or any of the characteristics you are talking of.  Everyone that I know that has tried it felt a better connection with the kite and no stretchy feeling at all.

The only breakage I had with this line was when I was flying my NSR in 12-15 mph winds on 100#.  Was just too lazy to get out a stronger set so we just hooked it up to what we had.  Still, it held on for about an hour before it finally snapped.  Switched to the 175# lineset and have never had another issue.  Just re-sleeved the 100# set and am still using it today - just not with the NSR. Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document