GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 09:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transformer TL (in yellow) on a sunny day in Seattle.  (Read 1663 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« on: May 22, 2011, 11:52 PM »

Flying my Transformer TL while taping from one of my favorite camera angles.  A bit heavy on the cometes, but thats what I'm into now.  Smiley

Transformer TL

Enjoy!

-Tom

Vimeo here:

Transformer TL

« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 12:04 AM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 12:53 AM »

A bit heavy on the cometes, but thats what I'm into now.  Smiley

Enjoy!

-Tom

I'd say it's more like a matter of waaaaaay tooooo much koooool - aid ! Embarrassed

What were the winds that day?

Nice flyin' Tom Cool  You're beginning to fly Lam's way Wink

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
coogee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 03:28 AM »

I liked it, the coming and going's in the background gave it a nice bit of whimsy. The flying looked great and the camera angle was a nice touch. Definitely a VF look! Seems like your having fun.

Mike
tpatter

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 10:20 AM »

I'd say it's more like a matter of waaaaaay tooooo much koooool - aid ! Embarrassed

What were the winds that day?

Nice flyin' Tom Cool  You're beginning to fly Lam's way Wink

Jim

Thanks Jim.

Winds were typical Kite Hill, constantly varying from 4/5-15mph, but at least the direction was consistent out of the south!  Smiley  It was a nice afternoon - lots of flyers showed up that day, but they were all power kiters and single-line flyers.

This was shot with the Kodak Zi8  which I've been pretty happy with so far - it does 720p 60 FPS and doesn't require too much light to get decent video.  I picked mine up for around $100.  The only complaint is that the battery only lasts about an hour, but you can get additional batteries for it pretty cheap.

-Tom
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 11:14 AM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 10:01 PM »

Sweet! Nice job Tom.

That kite looks familiar Cheesy I think a saw one just like it today.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
PAW
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 12:05 PM »

A "mean maschine"...small kites are the best to let yourself rage...thanks for the vid.
Adamld13
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 05:52 PM »

Wow...Tom you got some serious skills!!

Or is it just the wind?

coop
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 06:09 PM »

Very nice. But I have to be honest, I know its hard to learn those moves, but to a passer by who has no clue, the kite just looks out of control. I guess that's why I just don't get the new stuff.

Tappin on my EVO

TOTL Hawaiian Spinoff(2), TOTL Hawaiian Team(2), TOTL Windrule, TOTL NSR, HQ Passion, MEFM(Aust.), MEFM vented(Aus), MEFM(2), BMK Mamba, HQ Tramontana, NoNaMe, Stranger, Psycho, Atomic Wedgee, BMK Mantis UL, TOTL Sizzle
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 11:09 PM »

He he...now i have to see it. Grin

I am curious. Must be Tom flying more aggressively that eva.

Edit. Watched. It is the angle. He is doing only yoyos and cometes...with some JLs in between.  Only from this angle is it difficult to see.

It also matters that in that in this video, there are only short sequences. Passing folks see also the flying between these sequences, where control can be more obvious.

Sent from a long time ago...in a galaxy far, far away.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
tpatter

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 12:20 AM »

Very nice. But I have to be honest, I know its hard to learn those moves, but to a passer by who has no clue, the kite just looks out of control. I guess that's why I just don't get the new stuff.

Tappin on my EVO

I completely agree, but I really just fly for myself and friends - if the kids playing frisbee stop to watch me for a few minutes and ask a few questions, then thats my part to spread the good word about how much fun this stuff is.   

I do think anyone who watches a sport kite flyer for more than 60 seconds gets that the tricks are intentional, however (assuming they are done reasonably well).   I do know what you mean - I've seen some very impressive old school flying with little to no tricks, but I'm not sure it would attract any more positive attention from the casual passerby.

To me, its the difference between watching someone play with a yoyo versus watching someone doing tricks with it - I like to see those laws of physics appear to be bent.

To each his own, your mileage may vary, etc.

6 kite tom
Fearless Object

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 12:59 AM »

Tom, What have you been drinking lately Smiley Awesome job my friend. Thanks for the video.

Good day.
Fearless Object

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 03:11 PM »

Hi Jay, do you have any video of your flying tricks? eveyone and I would love to see your video.

Thank you in advance.

Good day.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 12:10 AM »

Tappin on my EVO
I used to think this myself but really only a few tricks look that way. More often people ask me how I can toss the kite around like I do without getting tangles up or crashing (those that have tried stunt kites but not tricks) or WOw I've never seen anyone do that with a kite before!

Great flying as always Tom.  ME thinks your kid is pushing ya a bit Tongue  Gonna have to try one of these kites if I can find someone that has one.
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 06:47 AM »

!

Great flying as always Tom.  ME thinks your kid is pushing ya a bit Tongue  Gonna have to try one of these kites if I can find someone that has one.

Me thinks You have got it backwards, Anthony. Eli's got the talent, (I know you won't take this wrong Tom Grin ) and his Dad has age, life experience and downright cunning on his side....Lam can take them both......on any given day...........Me thinks Lam has a lot more in reserve, and only pulls out enough to win, and just barely.............(needs to keep them coming, you know? )

Buy one..........(or two)    and get a vent for those inland winds you have.........I garuantee you'll like it.........(Mango is a good color choice if you don't want white)

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
tpatter

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 09:50 AM »

Excellent summary Jim!  Smiley

I see it this way - I need to take advantage of opportunities, while flyers like Lam and Eli can make their own!

6 kite tom
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography