GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 09:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fearless Standard and fade...  (Read 3976 times)
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« on: April 20, 2009, 08:23 PM »

I finally got my Fearless Standard a few weeks ago and I enjoying it very much but I have a problem with it. I cannot keep the fade for long. My friend who is a fade 'expert' cannot hold it long also. He can hold the fade in his SD mid vent easily. I'm wondering is it my skill or the Fearless Standard that cannot do the fade trick easily.

I knew that the Fearless can do very deep turtle. I think it is a head heavy kite. May be it is a weight distribution issue that causing the fade issue ?

I just add 5g. on the tail and see how it behaves on fade. I hope I can make it work. Too bad...we have rain here in Toronto tomorrow.

Any thought on the subject ?

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 08:55 PM »

Fearless easily fades like a champ, which it is.  Smiley   

Can you hold a fade on your other kites?  Anything but smooth wind will give you trouble if you have not yet mastered the fade - as you will have to adjust by tensioning left/right and/or applying/releasing tension on the lines in order to hold it steady.

My guess is that you are over-doing the input to get into the fade and therefore are having trouble getting the kite to settle into it.  The Fearless take smaller inputs than many other kites I've flown, so you may be over-doing it.   It likes to trick, so big inputs are fine assuming you want it to get radical and spin or rotate for a bit, but if not, ease up and see if that helps. 

I've come to love smaller inputs since flying the kite - you can do more while moving less with less physical effort (and slack).

6 kite tom
cids

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 09:14 PM »

That's must be the reason....The wind that we have here is not very smooth.
That's for the advices.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 09:17 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 12:01 AM »

Didn't your first post mention that your friend, who can hold a fade with the SD midvent couldn't hold one either?  Hmmmm....

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
cids

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 06:20 AM »

Hello Obi...

Yes, my friend can hold the SD mid vent in a fade but not the Fearless. But one thing is not always constant....the wind. In my area which is far from a lake(approv. 45Km)....smooth wind is a luxury.

May be it is the wind since the wind always changing speed or the Fearless weight distribution is a little head heavy or even my fade skill Cry. I need to find out what is the problem.

I already add 5g. weight on the tail of the Fearless STD and see what happen. No flying today since it is very windy and wet.

I will report back my findings.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 07:34 AM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
cids

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 07:31 AM »

'Fearless easily fades like a champ, which it is. '

Are you talking about the SUL, UL or STANDARD ?

Skywatch 1 wind meter
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 08:01 AM »

All 3.  Take some vid if you can and post it, I'm sure we can help you out.

6 kite tom
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 08:43 AM »

Is this a new kite, or used & possibly modded?

IF the kite isn't stock, I'd say zero it out and start from there. With a stock kite I'd say making changes to help with one aspect (like a stable fade) will almost certainly effect some other area of the kites behavior. Make sure the kite is as Lam intended and go out and fly it.

Allen, AKA kitehead
rxburner
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 09:19 AM »

My preference would be to not add any weight. I find the set up by Lam to be perfect. Mine fades like a champ. If it starts to nose down, step forward or throw it some even slack.
Rx
kiten00b
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 11:31 AM »

unless you are flying in smooth breezes, you are not really seeing the kite's true performance characteristics. what you're getting is how a kite reacts to random turbulence. some kites are better than others at dealing with poor winds, but criticizing how a kite flies in junky winds is like complaining about music when you're listening to it on an 8-track over a blown 6x9 car speaker.
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 11:33 AM »

If your Fearless is set up correctly, it is one of the easiest kites to get into and hold a fade.

The Fearless takes a small pop to get into a fade and only the lightest pressure to maintain it.

If this is your first Lam kite, it does take a little while to get used to it. Even experienced fliers, who have flown kites with heavier inputs, need time to adjust.

After flying, for a while, if your convinced something is wrong your Fearless, then don't hesitate to talk Lam. He will do whatever it takes to make it right.

Jay
cids

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 03:30 PM »

It is a brand new Fearless Standard that I ordered from Lam 2 months ago. I believed the set-up is 100% correct and original as Lam intended. I already add a removable 5g. weight in the tail and see what happens. I will also try the small input thing in the Fearless.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 03:34 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
johnfarl

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 08:46 PM »

Fearless and fade.  I fly all 3 of the Fearless models.  I find the best way to fade with the Fearless is to let it fade.  Everytime the kite seems a little unstable give it line.  It is surpising how much that kite wants to fade if you let it.  If you over tend a fade you probably screw up.  But if you give it some slack in the lines the tail will drop and it will float in the breeze.  This is one of the lessons that the Fearless has taught me and I apply it to other kites also.  BTW don't over do the slack.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change