GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 01:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am rather upset...  (Read 2944 times)
Shane
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: May 26, 2011, 01:51 PM »

Angry I went out to fly my Talon UL that I have had for all of about 7 months now... and was having the time of my life learning some new tricks... Just got the 2 pop yoyo down, and am almost there with the jacobs ladder. I got 540's from both sides, Axels from both sides, Half Axels from both sides... anyway, you get the picture... I was just really having a great time and trying to get out and fly about 2-3 times a week... When, I am in the zone and trying a new trick and the lines got wrapped up and the kite fell out of the sky... Well guess what happens??? A damn German Shephard comes running out of nowhere and attacks my kite... I was so mad the dog is lucky it is still alive... but the owner was there and could tell that I was pissed.

She says "oh, well how much was it"
I say "do you really want to know"
Her response "yes, I'll write you a check when I get home and send it to you, just let me get your info"
My response "almost $400"

Not so bad... but, I was so mad that I didn't think to get any of her information... I only gave her mine... It has now been almost 2 weeks. I just knew it wasn't going to happen...

Anyway, Sorry for the rant. I am just really sad and upset. I loved that kite.
... The reason why I am writing is to see what the best way to repair a hole in a kite is? and to see if anyone knows if there is a dealer in the US that can get me a LLE for a Talon UL. (they have some specific weighting in them) I believe that I can get it form Mark at JOE but I'm sure the shipping would cost more than the spar itself.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Shane

Now I gott get back to work so I can try to save up and replace my kite. Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

"Once you have flown, you will walk with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 02:07 PM »

That totally sucks.  Angry
Next time use your cell phone to call the cops. File a police report. Then you can go to small claims court. Owners are responsible for their dogs actions.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 02:50 PM »

Sorry to hear about your Talon it's a real bummer when that happens.  Sadly it's all to common over here in the UK, I know several folks who have had kites destroyed by dogs, my friends custom Benson was trashed a couple of weeks ago. There is no legal requirement for dog owners to have any sort of 3rd party insurance over here and most don't, most also don't want to know when their dog trashes your kite, all you usually get is a load of abuse. I've been lucky and not lost one yet but I've had several verbal slanging matches with dog owners. The last one when informed his dog was chasing a 140 kite ( my shadow) responded with " you're taking the Pi** I could make one of those" Sadly the Police don't usually want to know either Sad.....Shame we can't have pepper spray over here....though there are other ways...... Angry

This was a Deepspace.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 04:05 PM by Hadge » Logged

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 03:53 PM »

Sorry to hear that Shane - how bad is it? 

I have used the CA and tedlar fix before and it never failed.  A famous local kiter tip-stabbed a pretty decent hole in my Exile a few years back.  I repaired it and it flew as good as new after that.  As one other flyer put it, if you are going to get stabbed, you may as well get stabbed by a professional.

I do know a local kite-maker who could possible sew a patch (replace the damaged portion of the sail) if you want to go that route. 

-Tom
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 04:14 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
Shane

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 06:36 PM »

So... believe it or nor... I cam home today from work to find a check for $150 and a letter of appology as well as a printed conversation that the woman had had with Mark from JOE. ! :-) I couldn't believe it. There are still decent people in the world. ... so, the kite is off in the mail to Mark and other than not having a kite for a month or so. I'm a suprisingly happy man. I wish all people were that decent. She even said that if it cost more just let her know. I must have done something right recently to deserve such karma. I might just have to pull out the old techno kite that I first got and see if she learned anything knew in the last few months. :-) I'll let ya'all know how it turnes out.

"Once you have flown, you will walk with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci
WinterDaze

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 07:28 PM »

2 thumbs up to the owner  Grin

If only everyone knew how to be responsible for their charges actions.

The wait will hopefully be that little bit less painful because of her restitution.

WD

WinterDaze AoF
Ace

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 09:49 PM »

What an outcome Huh
I'm surprised the woman knew to contact JOE. You didn't tell her the brand did you!
Great result Cool

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 11:27 PM »

this is the clearest sign yet, the apocalypse is upon us. congratulations shane for getting in under the wire.

Fdeli
Bob D

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 04:30 AM »

Finally! Some good news about people! Too many times you hear about bad behavior.

Bob D.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 04:40 AM »

Isn't it amazing when someone else does the right thing ? I'm sure most of you are like me, and try to do the right thing by other people when things like that happen, but how often does someone do right by you ? Shane, your story has given me a little hope back...

Not a dog attack, but my example has resulted in the loss of two kites... I met a couple of new fliers last spring to help them out, and hopefully get some local interest going for a kite club. (  Cheesy around here !  Cheesy )
Anyway, it was a low wind day, so we were flying my UL kites. I let them both 'borrow' an UL (Shadow & a Flashlight) until the next time we met up... still waiting for the return of the kites over a year later...  Roll Eyes
People suck... at least around here...
~Rob.

tempest

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 06:22 AM »

I had a similar situation some years back, went to the police station, and was told they do not attend to that kind of matter and was referred to the APA, who investigated the matter. They got back to me, and informed me that it was not beneficial to me, to pursue the matter and i had better check if it was okay to fly a kite in the park, as i could charged for doing so.
So where was the justice?
The section of the park where i fly is an open area, away from the other facilities of the park,  the 2 pit bull dogs were not on leashes, and there were  people and children around by the slides and swings.
Now , whenever i spot a dog whether it may be docile or aggressive, i land my kite, go to it, and wait until the coast is clear.
Seems to me dogs and owners have a lot of rights in parks , as they are allowed to roam without a leash, although there is a penalty , and some owners do not pick up the dog's poo.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 06:54 AM »

... They got back to me, and informed me that it was not beneficial to me, to pursue the matter and i had better check if it was okay to fly a kite in the park, as i could charged for doing so.
So where was the justice? ...

Curious, have you checked and is kite flying illegal? Or is this just another example of ...

You have to do the footwork, here there are laws, you'll have to find them yourself, the numbers, and the enforcement angencies, then you'll have to quote those laws to those people you pay to know & enforce your laws. Here dogs also fall under under the Public Health Dept. after going through all the proper channels I found buried in the fine print that the head of public health was required to respond if the other depts couldn't. A call to the head of public health and quotation of that passage, number & paragraph of the law and the insistance that they be at the scene in an hour which gave them 30 extra minutes had a proper response in 25 minutes from the agencies that couldn't respond before.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 07:27 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Shane

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 07:01 AM »

What an outcome Huh
I'm surprised the woman knew to contact JOE. You didn't tell her the brand did you!
Great result Cool

Yes I did, when she said she would write me a check I didn't want her to think I was lying about the cost of the kite. So I gave her the make and model so she could look into it if she wanted. I am still very surprised and happy that this was the outcome. very great result indeed!  Smiley

johnfarl

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 07:54 AM »

I had a similar experience with a lady and a dog.   She was very gracious and we called my kite purveyor with the lady and she gave the kite purveyor a credit card number to replace my ruined kite with.  I think about 90 % of the people in this world are fabulous.  BTW I was a jerk at first but like I said she won me over with her smile and demeanor.

The dogs, they are just dogs.

John
tempest

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 03:18 PM »

Curious, have you checked and is kite flying illegal? Or is this just another example of ...

There are no signs of any kind where i fly but there are the usual signs  around the park ,including  - dogs must be kept on a leash. Other kids and their parents come and fly their kites regularly and from time to time i have seen the cops in their cruisers parked in the car park and they have seen me fly my kite.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change