GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 09:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First real kite  (Read 2100 times)
PUZZLE
Trade Count: (+9)

« on: May 29, 2011, 09:30 AM »

I have a prism 4d for light flying and a old go fly a kite typhoon that takes a lot of wind to keep up, have a few hours on both these kites and have been looking at the benson deep space or the prism Zephyr. can get a Zephyr pretty quick online but the benson sounds like it takes weeks to get, are these two kite similar , i live in utah
any advice would be great
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 01:37 PM by PUZZLE » Logged

Doc Z
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 04:35 PM »

Benson deep space might take a week our two to build and mail to the states, but it is well worth the wait. I have both and the DS is hands down my favorite.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 11:25 PM »

The DS is a trickn' nut. Super well made kite with a good usable wind range. This is a make you laugh out loud fun kite. It's got to be one of the all time best trick kites.

The Zeph can do a lot but pulls hard as the wind picks up and becomes difficult to trick. When in it's sweet zone, it's pretty fun and capable. The build quality is nowhere near the DS.

You're comparing one of the best trick kites ever to an O K kite, I'd wait a little extra and get the DS and never regret it.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
PUZZLE

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 08:58 AM »

wow tim benson gets back to you fast, within an hour

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 01:45 PM »

TIm is a great guy to deal with.  The DS is an an expensive kite compared to the Zephyr but TIm's kites are worth it.  I got ahold of an old Gemini and just love it.  ITs now a top 5 favorite in my bag.  I also have 2 zephyrs and they are fun kites. THey do have some pull but I don't trick them above 10 anyway.  IMO you can't go wrong in choosing a zephyr or a DS  it boils down to what you can afford. 
PUZZLE

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 02:49 PM »

decided on the deep space, so the wait begins

Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 12:42 PM »

You should get his Trick or Treat video too. The DS needs a lot of slack to turtle and the video uses a split screen to show hand movements and what the kites does when you do the trick. I finally figured out how to roll up a kite by watching the video.

Another nice thing about the DS is that it never really pulls hard when another kite starts to pull at the same wind speed. It's also got a nice low end too.

Bob D.
PUZZLE

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 09:18 PM »

Finally my deep space is here, flew it for about and hour and it  flew like a dream im so excited

[attachments older than 90 days deleted by admin]

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 09:31 PM »

Cool Tim does make some sweet kites.
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 10:17 PM »

Good choice  Wink

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Ace
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 11:46 PM »

Hell of a kite Grin

I think you will find that it will still look like that even after a year of Noob abuse Cool

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 04:20 AM »

You'll love the lighter pull as the wind goes up. It's got a great upper range. I just learned to roll it up and I can get it much more consistently than I ever used to. I still can't roll up the Nirvana though. (I'm working on it though.) Cascades on the DS are really easy too. The turtles ARE tough but if you watch the Trick or Treat video, Tim starts with his arms behind him and takes a big step forward before flicks his wrists to start the turtle. Great kite and you'll never regret it!

Bob D.
PUZZLE

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 02:47 PM »

does it harm the kite to leave it put together? does it stretch it or anything or should i take it apart after every flight?

kiteclique
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 02:50 PM »

does it harm the kite to leave it put together? does it stretch it or anything or should i take it apart after every flight?

You mean de-tension the leading edges ?

I don't bother ... and its not appeared to impact my kites (DS included).

-Frazer
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 03:00 PM »

I don't even bother to pull the lower spreaders from the LEs - I just disconnect from the centerT and then fold them up and put the kite in the bag.  I figure, in a years time, you get a couple of hours of additional flying time by not having to setup and breakdown the kite.

6 kite tom
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography