GWTW Forum
October 26, 2014, 12:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Simple Tricks Done Well  (Read 1737 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: June 04, 2011, 06:35 PM »

Just got back from flying.
Winds were bumpy in the 10-15 mph region.
The kite in jeopardy was my Quantum Pro with 15 gms on the tail.

And for the many thousandth time I went for a high speed snap stall (no snap turtle caca) to a 2 point landing. So I went to the top of the window and powered the kite down the middle and snapped my 2 hands as I have done so many times before.

But, instead of
getting a snap turtle
getting a good snap stall a few feet above the ground
getting some variation of a momentary tipstand to falling over
turning too late and hitting the leading edge on the ground.....

...the kite did an immediate 180 turn and both tips dug into the ground at the same time as the kite became vertically nose up.

I've been flying 10 years and this is the first time the trick had ever been done correctly and completely. I just stared at the kite for 30 seconds or so and looked around to see if anyone had witnessed this high speed miracle. Nope. Just me. Not that anyone would have known what I did.

Just wanted to share and say my bucket list is now microscopically smaller.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 07:35 PM »

ATB,
Sam
the*real*stoney
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 08:17 PM »

I certainly understand. I'm not a very skilled flier in the tricks department but every once in a while I manage something that looks like a miracle. Never once has this happened when there was a witness. I swallow the pill and tell myself that I am flying for my own pleasure.

Actually, had there been a witness, it is likely that the witness would have been completely ignorant of the fine points of kite aviation. He (or she) would have walked over to you and said, "Nice try pal, keep practicing, you'll get it right. Try putting a tail on it."

Stoney   
Smplcty
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 08:53 PM »

It's always nice when something just clicks. WTG!  Cool
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 09:41 PM »

Congratulations on the zen moment. No witnesses and no distractions is the best way for it to happen. It's the universe's way of saying this Bud is for you. Speaking of Bud, I'll drink to you, your bucket list, and this milestone.

When it all comes togehter like that for me, whether on purpose or by accident, I silently stand in awe and tell myself, "I meant to do that!" If it was done on purpose, fine. If it was an accident, even better ... it gives me a reason to laugh at myself and keep on trucking. However, in either case, reality usually returns with the next attempt. 

We all know that zen feeling exactly; but we don't experience it often enough. To be so precious, those moments are rare. Way to go! Thanks for sharing your zen and making it our zen, too!

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 10:59 PM »

Channeling Brian Champie, huh?

Cool.

Allen, AKA kitehead
obijuankenobe

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 07:14 AM »

After watching Richard in Dieppe go up....and down...up...and down....up....and down, I know how this is done. 

If I sit...going up...and down...over and over...this happens one out of every five times on a good day.  I know this feeling when it plants just right.  It's a great one.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
Ace
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 06:50 PM »

Yeah this high speed or (proper) 2 point landing thing is a real doozy. One out of 4 is about all I'm good for at the moment. Gotta try it both ways remember Tongue Hammered my DS for over an hour in 15 mph + once, doing nothing but two points. Hell of a lot of nose dives and painful tip stabs that day. Embarrassed

Repetition is key with getting the timing on this one.....

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
obijuankenobe

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 04:00 AM »

'Lars' moment'

I hope this becomes a common kite term. 

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
Bob D

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 04:11 AM »

I LOVE that feeling! That's one reason I like to fly. It's the moment when you say to yourself, "Did you SEE that??" Wow! Attaboy, John!

Bob D.
Danno419
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 12:15 PM »

i did a similar thing with a Monster tip stab yesterday in higher winds.... leading edges are still intact  Tongue
Great feeling for sure.

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 01:05 PM »

This is always one of my favorite tricks to watch - it's very impressive on its own and also punctuates whatever you did just before it (a strong finish).

One other I really like is the tip stab where you come in from a 135 degree angle rather than straight down or from a 45.

6 kite tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change