GWTW Forum
October 31, 2014, 01:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripon monthly fly  (Read 14311 times)
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2011, 01:37 AM »

I bought this tent-like thing a couple of months ago that is supposed to be a sort of wind break (has screening stuff for the walls). I've never set it up, so don't know how useful it will really be, but it just might provide some shade.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
madhabitz

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2011, 12:54 PM »

Oh man, I really can't wait now. I just found out that my Mamba is supposed to be delivered on Monday.... AND I've got the day off!

::Happy Dancing!!::

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2011, 06:53 PM »

Don't let me fly the new Mamba. You might not get it back.  Smiley

Allen, AKA kitehead
madhabitz

« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2011, 12:08 AM »

Well, you might end up missing a Midi, so it might-could all work out. I do love that Midi.

Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2011, 07:55 PM »

I just realized that the 9th is One Sky One World.

http://subvision.net/sky/osow/

I've missed putting a kite up several years in a row, not this time.  Smiley

Allen, AKA kitehead
madhabitz

« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2011, 11:40 PM »

I had *no* idea that such a thing existed. I zoomed around that website and followed a few links, but don't have time to really dig. So tell me, how do you make it official? Do you have to let them know ahead of time or do you just take a picture and send it, along with a message afterwards?

madhabitz

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2011, 08:53 AM »

Mamba's here in town! Oh man, what if I have to go potty and they don't wait around for me to sign for it?

AKA_MrBill
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2011, 09:34 AM »

So, the real question is: Are you going flying today even if it starts raining right when they deliver it to your door?   Grin

The weather is great now, but RADAR show a front coming through later this afternoon. So, how committed are you?   Cheesy    Cry
madhabitz

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2011, 10:35 AM »

Committed.

madhabitz

« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2011, 10:37 AM »

Maybe.

Smeagol
Trade Count: (+82)

« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2011, 11:26 AM »

I'm itchin' to try out my new Mamba too!  Last couple days in Sac haven't been too great on wind.  Saturday we flew it a bit but the winds were 2-4MPH tops.

Then of course on the way to work today it's perfect to try it out.  Figures.

-Mike
mikenchico
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2011, 11:47 AM »

Mamba's here in town! Oh man, what if I have to go potty and they don't wait around for me to sign for it?
How was it shipped? Here UPS, FedEx and the Post Office just toss them out the door on their way by it seems ... well almost, sometimes they will throw them over the fence onto the lawn in the sprinklers, once in a while they will get them up on the driveway and on the odd occassions they've brought something to the porch, but NEVER in the last 10 years has one of them knocked, honked or made any effort to get a signature or confirm they are at the right house & somebody is always home during our service times, we only find them when we leave. Been a UPS package on my porch for a few days now that's not addressed to me, you wanna come get it Doc?

I never have anything shipped signature required since they still won't knock, they just a leave a door hanger on the fence, sometimes the door, once on the car out in the driveway, none have ever knocked on my door. Anymore if it's something I want I ask for it to be shipped "Hold at will-call" and pick it up myself.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2011, 01:00 PM »

How was it shipped? Here UPS, FedEx and the Post Office just toss them out the door on their way by it seems ... well almost, sometimes they will throw them over the fence onto the lawn in the sprinklers, once in a while they will get them up on the driveway and on the odd occassions they've brought something to the porch, but NEVER in the last 10 years has one of them knocked, honked or made any effort to get a signature or confirm they are at the right house &

Opposite experience here. USPS and UPS open the back gate and set the box at the patio door if no-one is home. I haven't had a Fed-Ex to home in a long time so  can't say, but they tend to be more business friendly.

Allen, AKA kitehead
madhabitz

« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2011, 01:22 PM »

It's here and it's exquisite. Oh man, just gorgeous.

Mike, it was shipped USPS Priority mail, insured with a required signature. I've always had pretty good luck with delivered packages, but I do notice they don't take as much care as they used to-- no knock, leaving on the front porch. As it happens, though, this package was delivered by my regular delivery guy rather than by one of the big trucks in a separate delivery. This guy takes care of his neighborhood and I know he would've taken great care of it if I hadn't been home (seems to really love the people on his route).

Smeagol, are you coming to the Ripon Fly??? You're so close! Not tons of wind here today either-- usually don't get it until about 4pm. Today it's a question of which will come first, rain or wind.

Well, I'm off to figure out this tensioning stuff and the stand-offs. Glad I thought to print Ken's Help notes last week.

See ya later!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 02:35 PM by madhabitz » Logged

AKA_MrBill
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2011, 02:20 PM »

I'm itchin' to try out my new Mamba too!  Last couple days in Sac haven't been too great on wind.  Saturday we flew it a bit but the winds were 2-4MPH tops.

Then of course on the way to work today it's perfect to try it out.  Figures.

-Mike
You should venture down to Elk Grove in the afternoons and evenings. It's been blowin' pretty good! The trick is trying to find a field with smoothish air. The best bets for that here are on the south end of town, beyond the Automall and before Grantline. The only problem is, they are dirt fields and it really make a mess of your kite and lines.
Pleasant Grove HS has a fairly open set of fields that look good, but I haven't tried them yet.
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change