GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 05:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripon monthly fly  (Read 13463 times)
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2011, 03:19 PM »

Heh.... finally got it put together after a couple of fits and starts (that tensioning stuff is tight at first!). I think everything is right-side up. It's a little disconcerting that "this goes here .....>" isn't printed on the spreaders like it is on Prism kites (lol). Now it's raining at a pretty good clip, don'tcha know. It's all good. I've got kite bags to muck out.

Nancy, who is sorry for the thread hijack.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2011, 03:49 PM »

Yeah, USPS is always usually good to me, they leave it right on the porch sometimes leaned up against the door.  If the package is not insured you will not need to sign.  I didn't have to sign when the Mamba arrived Saturday, he just left it, rang the doorbell and then drove off.

Oops I see you've already replied.  Glad to hear it arrived safely.

I hearya on the tensioning, it's a little different than some other kites but it works well.  There are videos on BMK's site that show how to tension the LE.  I'm curious to see where the spreader locations are on yours vs. mine.  Is yours the Mamba or black Mamba?

Yeah I'll be @ the Ripon fly.. I'm somewhat of a regular I guess you could say.  Wink

AKA:  I used to hit up Elk Grove park once in awhile, but this was ages ago.  Last time I was out there the trees seemed to be taking over, so it was more difficult to find a decent flying spot.

-Mike
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 03:56 PM by Smeagol » Logged
AKA_MrBill
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2011, 10:14 PM »

AKA:  I used to hit up Elk Grove park once in awhile, but this was ages ago.  Last time I was out there the trees seemed to be taking over, so it was more difficult to find a decent flying spot.

-Mike

Mike,
Yep, EG park is really a difficult place to fly. The trees along the western edge just chew up the wind and spit out nothing but bumpy air.
Across 99 and just a little south are some huge open field. Easily a mile or more of no obstructions. The air is usually smooth, but again, the ground is just dirt. Even the parking lots for the proposed mall are cleaner, but asphalt just doesn't give. One lawn dart and say goodbye.

I'll check out PGHS's fields and let you know what it's like there.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2011, 07:24 PM »

Looking good for Sunday.  80 high and 8mph winds in the forecast.  MR. Bill are you joining us as well this weekend?
madhabitz

« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2011, 11:40 PM »

Looking good for Sunday.  80 high and 8mph winds in the forecast.

What site are you using for weather info? The ones I use are weather.com and wunderground.com and both have winds at 6mph max. Does the one you're using tend to be more accurate for the field we'll be using? For what it's worth, I like your forecast way-better than mine!

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Ca Ike

« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2011, 12:26 AM »

It's the link I posted on the first page of this thread.  IT's changed since I looked at it a few hours ago.  SAys 6 now but this time of year it changes constantly.  6-11 mildly gusty is common after a storm front
mikenchico
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2011, 10:55 AM »

Weather Bug has it down to 3 & 4 mph now, hope that starts swinging back up. Still hoping to run down since I'll have Monday off.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
madhabitz

« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2011, 12:50 PM »

Ha! I just went back to weather.com -- was trying to get to the detailed/hourlyforecast for Sunday, when I saw the transfer stuff on the status bar at the bottom of the window. Did you know that there's a Ripon in Canada? A search for Ripon, CA may not be what it seems.

In any case, here's a link to the detailed stuff for Sunday-- nothing available beyond 12pm, though that'll likely change by tonight:
http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/USCA0945?begHour=0&begDay=282

Mike'nChico, I really really hope that you guys can make it!!

Nancy  <------ crossing my fingers!

mikenchico

« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2011, 02:48 PM »

WeatherBug on the 'Droid has the extended forecast through next Wednesday, it uses the Stockton Airport 10 miles or so away.

12am 6mph
1am - 2am = 5mph
3am - 7am = 4mph
8am - 2pm = 3mph
3pm - 6pm = 4mph
7pm - 9pm = 5mph

Saturday looks worse, Monday marginally better. Oh well, things change and I don't know Ripon. It looks much more open then Chico, here we need to see 6-8mph minimum before we'll see 3-4 on the ground. If you've got a pretty clean 3mph I can get in the air.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Ca Ike

« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2011, 03:03 PM »

Here's a link using ripons zip code. http://www.weather.com/weather/weekend/95366  Wind there is fairly clean for inland flying.  If its 6mph 30 feet up at the meters its 4-6 on the ground and 3-4 below grade.  THe orchards about 1/2 mile in either direction seem to help smooth out gusts so its not such a harsh spike.  Stocktons Airport is about 20 miles aways and not a good reference point for ripon.  Can be as much as 5 mph difference. between the two.

Here's a Sat view.  WE normally park in the spots right on the river road entrance but if there is soccer going by chance we move to the dirt lot by the water tower.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 03:05 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
King-J

« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2011, 06:12 PM »

Looking good for Sunday.  80 high and 8mph winds in the forecast.

What site are you using for weather info? The ones I use are weather.com and wunderground.com and both have winds at 6mph max. Does the one you're using tend to be more accurate for the field we'll be using? For what it's worth, I like your forecast way-better than mine!

6mph that works for me that's my favorite speed, nice for slack line tricks Grin  4-6 mph for slack line tricks Cool

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
madhabitz

« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2011, 12:54 AM »

4-6 mph for slack line tricks Cool
[/quote]

Yup, and my lawndart maneuvers are ever so soft in those winds, too.  ;-)

Mike'nChico, here's the latest from weather.com:

10am - 11am = 4mph
12pm -  1pm = 5mph
 2pm -   3pm = 6mph
 4pm -   6pm = 7mph

I'd say things are looking up! I cannot wait to watch all y'all do your thing.

moegeo
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2011, 09:02 AM »

I was out and about this morning. The upper field is full, set up for soccer. The lower field about half set for soccer. The open section is towards the pergola. We generally park in the dirt below the water tower when pushed to this section and deal with the foot traffic heading across the field to the bathrooms.
Geo.

Say Good Night Dick
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2011, 10:49 PM »

Good to see everyone today and get in some light wind flying!

Turns out my big ol' skyshark framed Firestorm flys in pretty much no wind. I did a really long sloooow 360 and didn't break a sweat.

It was the first kite gathering for Penny and she had a good time. Y'all made a good first impression.  Smiley

Penny shot a lot of photos. We'll have em up tomorrow.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Ca Ike

« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2011, 12:44 AM »

Was great having you back Allen and Nice meeting PEnny.  Hopefully next time we'll have better winds and we can put a kite in her hands as well.  Too bad the chico folks couldn't make it out this time but there's always another time.
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document