GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 10:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: transitioning from the Quantum to the hypnotist...  (Read 1380 times)
misfitdave
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 03, 2011, 02:53 AM »

hello, i've had a Quantum since christmas and really enjoy it. i'm just able to get tricks like the  540, axel backspins to open up to me and am loving it. i can do them but they are yet to be pretty

i recently got a used Hypnotist and have flown it a bunch of times and it feels very different. i describe it as finicky. like it over steers a lot. and feels heavy in the air when it is lighter.

I think it sniggers at me. when i go to pop an axel it tends to ignore me, or goes half way and then starts falling out of the sky.

fades are easier as well as back flips, but when i point the nose down and give it heaps of slack to pancake and then flat spin it gets all tangled up.

i then go back to the Q and it seems to be more responsive to my inputs and firmer on the lines.

i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong i've read in posts that sometimes the bridle is backwards or the LE tension off but i have checked it all and it seems to be in correct positions. i have also done a search and read most things on Hypnotist on this forum.

is there something glaringly obvious i can do or is it a transition thing like learning to go from Auto to manual?

is it learning another flying style? and if so what would that be...

i'd really like to have the hypnotist take me seriously..

happy to here ya thoughts.

Cheers Dave
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 05:20 AM »

Hey Dave,

They will feel and act different, be ready to feel like you have to almost relearn some things, part of the process I guess Wink

I generally try to spend 3 different sessions on bedding in a kite, even one I've flown before (recently I put 12-15 hours on one just to make sure of my opinion of it).

But a couple of things you can do is check to make sure the bridle is symmetrical, give it a once over with a tape, just to know.

How long have you had the Hypno up for? in what sort of winds?

It will, by it's nature, feel lighter on the lines, even though it's bigger, this should help with developing fine motor control. As to the flare, it's a bigger sail so be prepared to take a step with the move, it's quite a lunge when you get it right, even on a light wind day.

keep us posted  Cool

WD

WinterDaze AoF
misfitdave
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 03:59 AM »

thanks,

i went out today with a renewed vigour to re-establish the relationship i had with the hypnotist.

we went back to basics and just worked on stalling, snap stalling and then the slide.

once the hypnotist and i were on the same page things started to fall in place. and begin to look a whole lot prettier too!

got the axel out and then the backflip to spin happened as well. and some other fun things too.

really good winds to fly today in melbourne helped heaps too.

thanks for the advice..

Cheers dave
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 05:38 AM »

Good to hear Dave, as long as you're enjoying the process  Smiley each bit will fall into place. No need to rush anything, work on what your good at and bring in new elements when you get a little bored with getting it right all the time Smiley

Some folk will go all out to 'tick all the trick boxes' and others will make each rung of the journey as it's own unique experience and well worth the savoring. Personally I am on the slow tracks, I figure I got 2 or 3 things pretty sown up, and maybe 2 or 3 in the 'development' stage, and I don't know, maybe a dozen that make no sense to me at all  Cry...

And that suits me just fine  Grin

WD

WinterDaze AoF
Danno419
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 04:48 PM »

Good to hear Dave, as long as you're enjoying the process  Smiley each bit will fall into place. No need to rush anything, work on what your good at and bring in new elements when you get a little bored with getting it right all the time Smiley

Some folk will go all out to 'tick all the trick boxes' and others will make each rung of the journey as it's own unique experience and well worth the savoring. Personally I am on the slow tracks, I figure I got 2 or 3 things pretty sown up, and maybe 2 or 3 in the 'development' stage, and I don't know, maybe a dozen that make no sense to me at all  Cry...

And that suits me just fine  Grin

WD

someone is being modest... i seen one of his VF entries  Wink Wink

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 09:59 PM »

Yes WD is good but like he said we are all in learning track that suits how we learn and we all see ourselves at a different levels of skill than others see us.   I know I've progressed a lot but I don't think I'm that good yet but some I fly with think I'm good enough to teach them what I know and thats fine with me.   I still fly and will be the toughest critic in know and enjoy every minute of it.  ONly you know what you can do and how fast or slow you need to go to learn.  JUst have fun while doing it Smiley
Danno419
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 12:54 PM »

Yes WD is good but like he said we are all in learning track that suits how we learn and we all see ourselves at a different levels of skill than others see us.   I know I've progressed a lot but I don't think I'm that good yet but some I fly with think I'm good enough to teach them what I know and thats fine with me.   I still fly and will be the toughest critic in know and enjoy every minute of it.  ONly you know what you can do and how fast or slow you need to go to learn.  JUst have fun while doing it Smiley

Agreed.
I've gone back to basics as of late... and am having a blast nailing monster tip stabs/snap stalls/side slides/landings.
Its nice to go back and revisit stuff that i thought i had down... turns out i didnt have as much down as i thought.
 Cry

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 01:14 PM »

Agreed.
I've gone back to basics as of late... and am having a blast nailing monster tip stabs/snap stalls/side slides/landings.
Its nice to go back and revisit stuff that i thought i had down... turns out i didnt have as much down as i thought.
 Cry
  Yep it's a common thing to forget to keep practicing the stuff you already know well while you work on new stuff.   I got in the habit of doing nothing but basic stuff for a few minutes at the start of a fly session to get a good feel for the wind and that helps keep things  down for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum